Snapshot? Can GGG even fix the mistake?

"
ampdecay wrote:
well I guess its a question of whether or not their program allows such a thing to be easily fixed

and if it is fixable how exactly do they want to fix it if at all?

I think the fix would be extremely complicated. I actually think Jieran and I can agree on that. Mark's post pasted earlier indicates it could be fixed but it would be harsh to summoners. I don't necessarily agree as I'm currently getting along fine as a summoner who hasn't snapshotted once but for people who based their builds on snapshotting it would certainly suck.

Maybe they should do a scream test. Take snapshotting out for next 4-month league. :)
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Also, multiple developers on one or more projects in no way restricts OOP so that it has to "not interact with anything else". In fact, good design and up-front planning of interfaces allows you to mock out other modules you need to work with when testing your code, and let the part of your application that hooks everything together handle the 'real' instances of what you need to talk to.

In other words, if I'm writing Module A, and someone else is writing Module B, but that guy also has other projects to do, it doesn't mean I can't do anything that interacts with Module B and I have to duplicate anything I need in my own module. Both developers would design and document interfaces, such that Module A inherits from Interface A, and makes calls to Interface B, and Module B inherits from Interface B. Module A doesn't know anything about the specifics of Module B, and unless an interface signature changes, doesn't get *directly* impacted by internal changes. When I test Module A, I write mock code that inherits from Interface B, that my module talks to. Then, when everything is put together, the application glues Modules A and B together through their respective interfaces.
"
athrian wrote:
Spoiler

I won't even pretend to know how they might have designed their engine, but from the information they've given out, it suggests a problem with the design and coupling, not "hard-coded".

The previous person is somewhat correct in their description of what hard-coded is, but not how it applies here. Hard-coded means that something can't be dynamically changed through input or some type of function; once the program starts up, the value is set. It would be like removing the account name input from the client and always loading "athrian". It would have nothing to do with snapshotting though, because they control the source. If there was some hard-coded variable somewhere in the code causing problems, it can be modified, recompiled, relaunched. It just can't be done as a hot-fix that doesn't require a restart or recompile.

A design and coupling issue would be more along the lines of having some type of common "updateSocketedGems()" function that everything calls when adding or removing a gem to an item. This function either directly or through other calls, would do all the cleanup of affects on a character, updates to skill damage, etcetc. And the behavior in this function is for example, to not remove certain affect types, which minion buffs may fall into, because of the desire to prevent some other type of exploit, such as someone mentioning removing RF burning when unsocketing a RF gem. In essence, there is one function with one behavior and that's the only option for everything else to call, when in reality they want multiple behaviors. This is where you get faced with "well, do I copy the function and modify part of it, but wind up with a bunch of duplicate code?" or "do I refactor and break up the behavior which possibly impacts having to refactor other modules, especially if there's a high degree of coupling".

Hard-coded would actually in this type of scenario be a quick fix, but a non-ideal one, where you just throw a check for say, specific auras or buffs into the code. "If it's Righteous Fire gem, do this. Else if it's Grace or Discipline or this unique's buff, do this. else, do this". That is an example of bad design, but what often gets done as a temporary fix for a critical problem when a major refactoring project is ahead, or a long-term solution can't be agreed upon.

Yeah, I got a bit sidetracked with all that "Single threaded isn't single threaded..." stuff. To me using the phrase "hard-coded" can refer to both the type of input you're referring to but also behavior. I agree it's a bit of a misnomer here because we're talking about something that isn't so simple as a single method that always returns "foo" but when a behavior is hard-coded it cannot be changed without access to the source. In some languages even function behavior can be dynamically loaded from input streams instead of being hard-coded. Anyway, that's really not the point.

One would think the fix would be fairly simple by doing a gear/gem check after zoning and removing any skills/buffs that are no longer present. They already drop things like AA when changing zones. If you unequip an item while in a zone which contains, say, a raise zombie gem, your zombies raised with that gem croak. If you unequip an aura gem while in town you lose the aura. It seems all the necessary functions exist but just aren't applied to certain skills. If that's the case, then most of this conversation has been moot and the real issue isn't can they do it but instead is are they willing to piss of a bunch of players by removing it?
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Last edited by Phaeded on Apr 21, 2014, 7:20:36 PM
"
Phaeded wrote:

One would think the fix would be fairly simple by doing a gear/gem check after zoning and removing any skills/buffs that are no longer present...

One might think that, but one would be making large sweeping assumptions about the design of their systems and the state of their codebase. After having worked on or written a few systems with large, long-lived codebases, one would instead assume that there's a reason -- whether or not it's rooted in what would be considered improper separation of concerns or some other flaw in design -- that it's not trivial to change the behavior in question.

If one was working on such a codebase with the intention of changing the behavior, one would accept this with a heavy sigh while making incremental improvements that would eventually allow the change in behavior to be trivially made.

This would not be a task one could complete in a day.
http://www.twitch.tv/exhortatory
so everyone goes snapshot and there is no problem.
"
Alea wrote:

lol wish they could fix this one day
rather than fix it, is it possible to make snapshot a legit thing and make it a mechanic that everyone can benefit form it.

you know OP items + OP skill = lots of "poe is dying" posts
Last edited by Tom1989 on Apr 23, 2014, 9:54:09 AM
yea lets make it legit so we can all go to fight ubers and cast all of our auras then used 80 regrets to re spec all those auras nodes into es nodes cuz that makes sense
"
Tom1989 wrote:
rather than fix it, is it possible to make snapshot a legit thing and make it a mechanic that everyone can benefit form it.

The day that gearswapping becomes a main method to playing the game is the day I'm out. Snapshotting is about as exploitative of a game engine as a method gets. If it is difficult for them to fix, I'll be a bit patient... But legitimizing it will drive me off, and I have always loved the game, despite the frustrations it brings through loot, desync, and bugs.
"
Xikorut wrote:
"
Tom1989 wrote:

The day that gearswapping becomes a main method to playing the game is the day I'm out. Snapshotting is about as exploitative of a game engine as a method gets. If it is difficult for them to fix, I'll be a bit patient... But legitimizing it will drive me off, and I have always loved the game, despite the frustrations it brings through loot, desync, and bugs.

yea i know. i want this problem to be solved too. but snapshot is there like since closed beta? It seems that it cannot be fixed.

sadly, gearswapping is a main method to playing the game. hey, look at those summoner and RF char. and i bet that there are more.

to be clear, i dun hv a shav and my main char cant benefit from snapshot.
Last edited by Tom1989 on Apr 23, 2014, 10:54:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info