Development Manifesto (and my reaction to it)

If you guys haven't seen this yet, check it out: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/889669
Scroll down to the last 4th or so of the post, where it has the section "Update (April 20, 2014)"

These are Chris's explanations about desync, the difference between "desync" and "latency," a whole bunch of other things that MOST players do not understand, either because it's convenient to blame desync or because they don't get how networking works.

The update that Christ posted is a very interesting paragraph clarifying some topics, namely all of the topics I brought up in a fairly long "rant" about desync (coincidence, possibly). I stopped bothering to respond because the thread was completely derailed by people talking about minor details, as well as a fair share of some good ol' fashion internet trolling. All of that aside, though my post was a tad emotional (mostly frustration, rather than anger), I felt that I adequately expressed my position, how I felt, how I thought some of the community thought, etc. about desync and how it negatively impacts everything about PoE and playing the game. I could (and should) have formulated my points in a more well-constructed manner, with less hyperbole and semi-playful cursing, and more well-thought out concrete reasoning. To my surprise, Chris's update seems to almost be a direct reply to what I posted. I'm sure nothing I said was new, I'm sure they have heard it all repeatedly, but I have to say that I was not expecting such a response from GGG.

Though I do still have some issues with Chris's points, I'm mainly surprised by the update considering how long ago the original post was. I don't recall when it was posted originally but I am fairly certain it was before open beta. Either way, I feel like the update was almost directed at me, so I feel like I owe GGG a nod of approval, so to speak. Again, I know I'm not the first to express my ideas on desync and possible fixes to them, I know I'm not the first one to die in a race and get frustrated and blame the game, and I certainly know that GGG doesn't have the time to reply to every frustrated gamer. However, I still feel like this was sort of addressing my main points. I almost feel bad that I didn't formulate my points more clearly, considering I did actually want them to see and acknowledge my points. That was frustration getting the better of me.

The main thing I wanted to point out was the following comment at the end; "...the system will be acknowledging [desync] and correcting it, rather than assuming that it's all going to be fine and letting you end up two rooms away, pinned against a wall." It is rephrased slightly, but that's almost exactly what I said in my post as one of the many anecdotes.

I'm not really sure how to express my thoughts, I guess I'm just glad that this information is being provided to the players (the willing ones, anyway) and it just so happens to be after an angry rant. Either way, make sure you read it, preferably the entire article. If I can get just a few more people thinking about this kind of stuff, maybe they can have some constructive feedback for GGG, maybe some GGG can actually use.
Come join me at: Twitch.tv/Mict_
Last edited by Simon_GGG on Apr 21, 2014, 4:49:04 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
If you guys haven't seen this yet, check it out: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/889669
Scroll down to the last 4th or so of the post, where it has the section "Update (April 20, 2014)"

These are Chris's explanations about desync, the difference between "desync" and "latency," a whole bunch of other things that MOST players do not understand, either because it's convenient to blame desync or because they don't get how networking works.

The update that Christ * posted is a very interesting paragraph clarifying some topics, namely all of the topics I brought up in a fairly long "rant" about desync (coincidence, possibly). I stopped bothering to respond because the thread was completely derailed by people talking about minor details, as well as a fair share of some good ol' fashion internet trolling. All of that aside, though my post was a tad emotional (mostly frustration, rather than anger), I felt that I adequately expressed my position, how I felt, how I thought some of the community thought, etc. about desync and how it negatively impacts everything about PoE and playing the game. I could (and should) have formulated my points in a more well-constructed manner, with less hyperbole and semi-playful cursing, and more well-thought out concrete reasoning. To my surprise, Chris's update seems to almost be a direct reply to what I posted. I'm sure nothing I said was new, I'm sure they have heard it all repeatedly, but I have to say that I was not expecting such a response from GGG.

Though I do still have some issues with Chris's points, I'm mainly surprised by the update considering how long ago the original post was. I don't recall when it was posted originally but I am fairly certain it was before open beta. Either way, I feel like the update was almost directed at me, so I feel like I owe GGG a nod of approval, so to speak. Again, I know I'm not the first to express my ideas on desync and possible fixes to them, I know I'm not the first one to die in a race and get frustrated and blame the game, and I certainly know that GGG doesn't have the time to reply to every frustrated gamer. However, I still feel like this was sort of addressing my main points. I almost feel bad that I didn't formulate my points more clearly, considering I did actually want them to see and acknowledge my points. That was frustration getting the better of me.

The main thing I wanted to point out was the following comment at the end; "...the system will be acknowledging [desync] and correcting it, rather than assuming that it's all going to be fine and letting you end up two rooms away, pinned against a wall." It is rephrased slightly, but that's almost exactly what I said in my post as one of the many anecdotes.

I'm not really sure how to express my thoughts, I guess I'm just glad that this information is being provided to the players (the willing ones, anyway) and it just so happens to be after an angry rant. Either way, make sure you read it, preferably the entire article. If I can get just a few more people thinking about this kind of stuff, maybe they can have some constructive feedback for GGG, maybe some GGG can actually use.

tl;dr

*really?
wait and see. original desync post is a very very old one and nothing really changed since then - except adding 'resync on stun' - so judge what you see, not what you read
you should post this under the thread you refer.
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
I just found the old post and the part that I quoted isn't nearly as similar as I remembered, but the point remains. I talked about every bulletted point in Chris's update, it still feels like it was a reply to me. I would like to think it's not and everyone has expressed similar opinions to mine but either way, I'm glad it has been brought to Chris/GGG's attention, and subsequently brought to the attention of the other players.
Come join me at: Twitch.tv/Mict_
Last edited by Mictlantecuitli on Apr 21, 2014, 3:12:11 AM
I took the fact that Chris didn't mention anything about a SFL as a positive - at least that it's being debated. That being said, I'm probably just hearing what I want to hear (or not hearing what I don't want to hear).

P.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
I took the fact that Chris didn't mention anything about a SFL as a positive - at least that it's being debated. That being said, I'm probably just hearing what I want to hear (or not hearing what I don't want to hear).

P.

Considering Qarl's influence over the crew, my assumption was the opposite.

"
Qarl wrote:
In the existing leagues, there is nothing stopping anyone from playing self-found, and we know many of our players do.

Wow, such logic.
"
ignarsoll wrote:
"
mrpetrov wrote:

P.

"
Qarl wrote:
In the existing leagues, there is nothing stopping anyone from playing self-found, and we know many of our players do.

Wow, such logic.

Well, no SFL proponent never explained why they cant play SF in any other league.

Answer me this:

If you dont trade and play SF, how does it affect you if others trade/cough*RMT*cough?

From what i can tell SFL proponents want this:

More/Better drops. <- I dont think thats ever gonna happen for 1 league only
Trading disabled. <- just dont trade yourself, why bother what others do?
No Legacy items. <- impossible since items need rebalancing and GGGs stance is clear on that
"
"
ignarsoll wrote:
"
mrpetrov wrote:

P.

"
Qarl wrote:

Wow, such logic.

Well, no SFL proponent never explained why they cant play SF in any other league.

Answer me this:

If you dont trade and play SF, how does it affect you if others trade/cough*RMT*cough?

From what i can tell SFL proponents want this:

More/Better drops. <- I dont think thats ever gonna happen for 1 league only
Trading disabled. <- just dont trade yourself, why bother what others do?
No Legacy items. <- impossible since items need rebalancing and GGGs stance is clear on that

The reason is not so different than why hardcore players decide not to play hardcore mode on Standard League and don't die. I'm not sure why would anybody need answer for this answer should be pretty apparent.

Edit: If you're willing to answer 'why hardcore players decide not to play hardcore mode on Standard League and don't die?', I'm also willing to answer what is the problems with playing SFL in the current leagues.
Last edited by ignarsoll on Apr 21, 2014, 4:04:31 AM
Since you felt like making a new thread instead of responding to an opening post in the appropriate way — with a reply within the same thread — [Removed by Support]
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by Simon_GGG on Apr 21, 2014, 4:49:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info