My account is being blocked every day

I'm totally pissed off with this, I have a dynamic IP address and I have to unlock my account almost every time I log in.
How to avoid it?
Thanks.
contact support via email to see what other options bar using steam they have, beware though that IF you do disable the IP lock you leave yourself open to "hackers"
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Apr 17, 2014, 10:51:03 AM
I think this post will also be fairly relevant to you. Please don't post in that thread however if you have questions. Continue posting questions in this thread and we can assist you as best as we can.
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
beware though that IF you do disable the IP lock you leave yourself open to "hackers"

I have almost 15 years playing online games without this annoying feature and I never got hacked.
I never saw this before even in home banking systems.
"
Drakier wrote:
I think this post will also be fairly relevant to you. Please don't post in that thread however if you have questions. Continue posting questions in this thread and we can assist you as best as we can.

Thanks, I already understand why it happens.
What I'm looking for is how to disable this feature.
"
Crasher991 wrote:
Thanks, I already understand why it happens.
What I'm looking for is how to disable this feature.

You can email support as lagwin suggested, but it makes it very easy for your account to get hacked/stolen.

The whole reason they put this system in is because of the outbreak of hacked accounts at Open Beta... before they had this system in place. Accounts by the hundreds were being stolen and stripped due to various web-related and watering-hole exploits.

Personally, I'd rather log in to find the unlock code dialog and take the 10 seconds to unlock my account than log in to find my account stripped. It's not THAT much of an inconvenience if set up properly (use gmail). Literally, the code is in my inbox before I can alt-tab out of Path of Exile, and it's sorted so I can just pull up that folder, it's right on top, I can copy/paste the code and it's all set.

The security is there for your own protection as a lot of users don't have the safest of browsing habits.. in addition to there being exploits that even the best of us can be caught by. When zero-day vulnerabilities are released for Java or Flash, a targeted (watering hole) attack can cause compromise to almost anyone.. no matter how safe you are at browsing.
"
Drakier wrote:

You can email support as lagwin suggested,

Thank you, already did it.

"
Drakier wrote:

but it makes it very easy for your account to get hacked/stolen.

Well, I still don't get it.
Every security system has its vulnerabilities, both in real life an on the internet, we already know that.
Now, what's different about this game that justify that extra measure?
If I was able to keep safe my WoW account for 10 years without it, why would I fail with this one?

"
Crasher991 wrote:
Well, I still don't get it.
Every security system has its vulnerabilities, both in real life an on the internet, we already know that.
Now, what's different about this game that justify that extra measure?
If I was able to keep safe my WoW account for 10 years without it, why would I fail with this one?

It has nothing to do with you directly, and has everything to do with the demand, exploits, and hackers out there.

PoE accounts were (are) a large target. More-so than WoW accounts actually (at least they were). So the exploits are targeted specifically toward PoE. It's not that PoE is less secure.. but it was definitely the target of a large-scale watering hole attack.

I don't understand why people WOULDN'T want that extra layer of security. I added 2-factor authentication to my email because it was available, and is a GREAT measure of security to prevent access. I think people who DON'T put 2-factor on their email are asking for trouble one of these days.. especially with how many things are tied to email.

I've been in the industry a long time, and I've see what happens to people. If you're "joe user" you have your PoE account also on some forum somewhere. You also used the same email for PoE as you did your email that is attached to it. So Hacker gets your PoE information, uses that to get into your email, then uses your email to access a lot of other accounts (game accounts, bank accounts, social media accounts, etc).

That's a VERY common method of full compromise. That's why it is recommended to at MINIMUM segregate your passwords by "zones".. although it's better to not share ANY passwords between ANY systems... but at the very least, make sure the game password is different than your email password, and that both of those are different from banking password, etc.. not that much of this matters if they gain access to email.

The unlock code is a minor inconvenience for the major benefit it provides... it's your account however. I just don't want you to end up getting hacked, then being all upset that you could have easily protected it, and instead went out of your way to remove the protections.

Good luck.
"
Drakier wrote:

I don't understand why people WOULDN'T want that extra layer of security.

It's very simple, currently my poe account worth almost nothing to me, first it's just a game not my home banking, second I've been playing for lets say...3 hours, and finally due latency issues guess I could stop playing at any moment.

So, no, unless they are transparent for me, I don't want any extra security layer, I just want to be able to log in as fast and easy as possible.
"
Crasher991 wrote:
"
Drakier wrote:

I don't understand why people WOULDN'T want that extra layer of security.

It's very simple, currently my poe account worth almost nothing to me, first it's just a game not my home banking, second I've been playing for lets say...3 hours, and finally due latency issues guess I could stop playing at any moment.

So, no, unless they are transparent for me, I don't want any extra security layer, I just want to be able to log in as fast and easy as possible.
And what is most fun - this annoying latency issues are considered to be side effect of that almighty engine that prevents (theoretically) bots, hackers, etc. Yet we have an additional, maybe even more annoying (for some players at least), layer of "protection" from aforementioned bots and hackers. That's what I don't get at all. This is really bad balance between "security" and... playability, so to say.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Last edited by silumit on Apr 17, 2014, 10:38:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info