Getting burned out

Hi GGG! Unfortunately I am burned out on POE at the moment and wanted to share why. A big part of it stems from socketing/linking. I don't want to grind long hours for currency to be able to use my skills anymore. I have a character that I want to play, am even excited to play, but can't bring myself to play because I am stuck on a four link. I don't mind the grind for better gear, levels, currency etc. But, i absolutely can't stand that grind any longer with weak/gimped skills due to lacking sockets.

I like to find/link my own gear, so I am a bit stuborn. The time it takes to be able to use my skills that i theory crafted is what is burning me out. Everything else seems to flow nice. I can grind out the lvls no problem. I can grind out the gear no problem. But the sockets are always lacking and I don't feel I can play another 10 minutes on a 4L at lvl 80. Anyways, game rulz, had a lot of fun. Hope to come back. Bummed I didn't get to play my build that I have sunk so much time and effort into.

Edit: rereading my post i want to stress the last sentence. I do feel like i never got to try my build (and I am mapping at lvl 80!) because i lacked the sockets. Sockets are that important!
Last edited by BackwoodsS on Apr 17, 2014, 8:28:35 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
This is why i still support the suggestion that quality prevents a downgrade on sockets/links. (not improve the chance to get something better, just remove the frustration at turning your precious gear useless with hundreds of jewelers spend)
Well I sorta agree with you on this. I also love to find and upgrade my own gear, but it's not always easy, and often lead to me having to buy the gear off of xyz before I run completely out of currency.

In all my time playing I have never been able to craft a 5 link on a 6 socket item. I used 400+ fuses on this item before I gave up, which roughly translates to 7 exalted orbs. I could have bought a decent 5 link for that amount if I just saved my currency. I think I spent about two weeks to get that kind of currency, and to end up with a 3 link after all that is not what I would call fun or rewarding.

So what I have done lately is just save up all currency and buy a linked item when I have enough.

It is just so silly that you can get a 6 link item in 1 fuse or 10000. There is no limit to how bad luck you can have.

I would like to see a cap of some sort that gives you for example a 6 link after 1000 fuses guaranteed. That is a lot of currency invested, and I would be motivated to continue on my 400 fuse investment that I stopped on earlier, if I knew I would get my 5 link no matter what if I spent 100 more.

I feel the socketing is off by an order of magnitude. 5L should a slightly harder than 4L is now, while 6L should be similar to 5L now. There are so many builds I want to try. The main thing holding me back is knowing that actually getting to try them out is literally like winning the lottery. And I love RNG, just not on something so fundamentally important that without it you feel entirely incomplete.

Edit: and i have made my own 5L, i know the investment it takes, and that investment is what is burning me out.
Last edited by BackwoodsS on Apr 17, 2014, 10:07:53 AM
Their premise is that you don't need 5L. You don't. In fact, most use 5L to simply improve on what is already successful with 4L.

If they made 5L the new 4L, the game would have to be balanced around that standard. All that would be accomplished is making the 4Ls that drop utterly worthless.

They have the rarity right. It's frustrating to try for 5L or 6L and that's how it should be.
Its less about needing them, imho it is more about the furstration people feel that they dont get anything back. You can drop a thousand jewelers on a item and barely see even just 5 sockets, not even the links.

It is a factor of frustration that is above everything else, it gives you a feel of progressing backwards, it just enforces such a negativity doing that.

That is why i believe there should just be the possbility, or a way to prevent it, that a item can downgrade so massively. And i like the idea that the more currency you put into a item, the higher the chance to get better results.
Do what GGG wants you to:
Start streaming and hold a lottery.
Last edited by Idioticus on Apr 17, 2014, 12:22:54 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Their premise is that you don't need 5L. You don't. In fact, most use 5L to simply improve on what is already successful with 4L.

If they made 5L the new 4L, the game would have to be balanced around that standard. All that would be accomplished is making the 4Ls that drop utterly worthless.

They have the rarity right. It's frustrating to try for 5L or 6L and that's how it should be.

I don't disagree, but your point is not relevant to mine. The way the game is right now is not fun for me to play. So I am taking my time and money else where and wanted to tell GGG why. Argue with that.
This game is pay to win. As much as GGG doesn't want it to be; the reality is that the only people that have really good gear are the ones who've paid money for it. This fact is one of the things burning me out on the game. Who can really blame the people who use pay sites though? Even when running with friends with high IIR in 77-78 maps you find trash 99.9% of the time. The other is the latency/desynch; I have (what I consider) a fairly strong computer: ASUS Crossfire V mainboard, AMD 8350 4ghz, 16gigs memory, 240 gig SSD with a 2 terabyte slave and a Radeon 7970 vid card. My rig has no problem running any other game (I'm sure it has something to do with GGG game engine not being universally optimized for all types of hardware) but this game. Lately I find myself thinking "fuck that game" instead of "time to get on POE and have some fun". The reason being, death due to latency/desynch.
At lower levels it was only a slightly irritating deal but now I am at level 90 and its 2 78 maps worth of my time and currency lost due to no fault of my own. When I first started playing POE I thought "finally a game far superior to D3 and all of it's terribleness" but now I have actually been considering going back to D3 and seeing what ROS is all about. It honestly bums me out a bit to even think that way since D3 was such a terrible disappointment.
With all of the recent additions to the game (many of which I was very happy with) I thought GGG was heading in the right direction. Until I realized what a pigeon hole Atziri is on builds. As near as I can tell there are 7ish builds that can do Atziri (somewhat) efficiently. I'm sure more are surfacing from time to time but do I want to be forced into a cookie cutter build? No. Anyway this is turning into a tldr so (although doubtful because you'd prob have to rewrite your game engine) maybe you can fix your shit. Thanks.
Saved
^ There are tons of people with great gear that didn't pay for it. It's called RNG and it shines on some people and not others. Ever see the video of the guy chancing 3 siege axes and getting two soultakers? Madness.

@Backwoods - really surprised to see you burn out, especially considering the amount of defending you have done with regards to other facets of the game that tend to bless some and fuck over others. I do hope you come back sometime, though.
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info