Client-server Action Synchronisation

I know how to fix the desync problem, and completely free also. Remove the exp penalty completely. And in hc, let the player continue the hc league on death somehow marked as complete failure if they so choose. After that, no one would give a flying f**k about desync.
I've said this before, in an other thread, in a lengthy, angry post, but I'll repeat it here.
If you guys don't tackle desync, if you don't even try to mitigate it and continue with the "just use x, and don't use y", if you don't work on PoE's technical problems before throwing stuff like braindead ghosts and new acts at it, it will become a trainwreck of a game so riddled with desync people won't bother playing anymore.

PoE is awesome, and its complexity and skill system is what keeps me playing.
Desync, however, slowly takes a toll on you.
Right now, I'm still okay with hammering on my resync button every time I stand still, but I don't know when I'll be fed up and play D3 again. Or Grim Dawn. Or anything that's not PoE.
Smooth gameplay which works is the fundamental aspect of every game.
PoE is severely lacking in that aspect.
We are going to shut down Beyond immigration into our maps until we find out what the Hell is going on!
in a MOBA you are the character... that is all.
Kind of have to point out to those saying all the other games dont have the issue, you are correct they don't at all.

However, torchlight has easily modified files and is mainly clientside meaning its easily cheated.

Grim dawn is almost exclusively clientside and riddles with duped items and characters running around in full sets of godly gear.

D3 is partially client and you can watch people speed hack it all day (which is half the reason there is no pvp), you ever watch a guy swing once and the server register 10 different hits? not fun.

While desync is a pain in the ass its not as bad as it used to be, the reworking of boss fights ect has fixed some of it, it is and will always be at its worst in merc because of mob density, its not a case of being cheap or not caring, its a case of being able to have the game they want it with as little interruption thanks to cheaters as possible.

It could use more work, and will hopefully get it, it is annoying but tolerable, hardly a company killer like some people seem to think.
Would it not be possible to use a mixture of both client side and server side when attacking mobs? Keep a few requiring the server check to make sure the player is not trying to cheat and let the rest be client side.
The client can still tell the server what it's doing and if a player is absurdly out of sync compared to what normal action should be you can log/review it.

90/10 Client/Server then run checks vs maximum Attacks,DPS,Move Distance,Mob Death Rates of client spawned vs server check required. If 90% of everything is instantly owned there's a problem.

What i dont understand is why they dont just use the moba way of preventing lag and put the servers in europe/ Amerika/ Oceanië. and split the population
"
DrunkenPanda wrote:
What i dont understand is why they dont just use the moba way of preventing lag and put the servers in europe/ Amerika/ Oceanië. and split the population

That's exactly what they've already done in beta (Later expanding it to featuring Aussie infrastructure) and, surprisingly, also Blizzard. Having less than 50ms latency doesn't mitigate the problem, the problem isn't latency or distance from the server.

I would rather they resync significantly more often than how often they currently resync.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 9, 2015, 11:15:44 PM
Why not doing like moba does ?

Why not doing like D3 do ? It's smooth etc.
Just dont get it.

Last edited by zbouby25 on Feb 10, 2015, 10:23:02 AM
Additionally to a /oos macro, can we get a character ghost that represents the server state? That way we can tell whether the server believes we're actually moving.
Fear the army of dots:
..............................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................
Last edited by Trainingmacro on Feb 11, 2015, 9:10:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info