Client-server Action Synchronisation

What's strange is I get far higher latency to POE than other games using other methods plus I get absurd desync. Pretty much given up on the game unfortunately. Even moving around items in my inventory is annoyingly laggy. I play many online games but this one really has the worst lag and desync I have experienced. Probably one of my favourite games but I can't play more than 5 minutes without extreme frustration from the lag and desync.
In other games my latency is about 180 ms on Euro servers, POE > 220 ms. Other games I don't desync and the latency feels lower than 180 ms, POE the latency feels more like 500 ms or so.

Not sure why I get the worst of both worlds, desync and massive delay on POE, I have even changed to fully wired internet.
In other news, this is a demonstration of PoE's hardcore gameplay, showing the advantages of desync preventing any cheating to take place in the first place.

http://www.twitch.tv/jmyers123/c/4289878
"
074 wrote:
In other news, this is a demonstration of PoE's hardcore gameplay, showing the advantages of desync preventing any cheating to take place in the first place.

http://www.twitch.tv/jmyers123/c/4289878

Wow.. just wow... no wonder players get frustrated and stops playing the game. And that was recorded 4 hours ago? I'm seriously only coming to the forums to check on this thread to see if there is any response from GGG regarding this mess. I want to play this game so bad but I just cant without getting frustrated at the sodding desyncs.

GGG please make a system that is similar to diablo 3's, the game would run sooo much smoother and lots of players would most likely come back to this awesome game
Above content may contain traces of nonsense.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
To be honest, this "system of desync" is the real obstacle for PoE to become "hardcore".

If your gameplay isn't even smooth and have correct causality, you won't ever have "hardcore" gameplay.

Lag is another issue GGG seems to refuse to address.

Lag and the desync-guaranteed "prediction system" needs to go.

You can't justify it with "cheating protection" because that is an entire different matter.

You need to address lag.

You need to address fundamental design flaws and take steps to remove/repair them.

But you are ignoring these problems.

You are trying to patch something that is by design a problematic system.

You can't ignore and pretend these issues are not real.
"
Chris wrote:
Why some other games appear to not have similar problems
Games using the "wait until server responds" method (RTS and MOBA games) have much higher input latency but don't have the same sync issues that we do. They have their own class of game state synchronisation problems that we thankfully don't have to deal with.

Games using client action prediction like ours run into exactly the same sync issues that we do unless they cheat on certain aspects of the simulation. For example, it's common for Action RPGs to do some combination of the following:
  • Entities can hit each other from a long distance away
  • There's no chance to hit - all hits occur for sure
  • Various speed/collision concessions that make it easy to speedhack and/or walk through monsters with modified clients
  • Attack animations cannot be interrupted (i.e. what we treat as Stun).

• Unfortunately, we don't want to do any of those things! They each individually ruin part of the hardcore experience: by allowing combat/movement cheats, preventing accuracy from existing as a mechanic, prevent stunlock, preventing people getting blocked in, etc.

Due to the fact that we want to have hardcore game mechanics (i.e. ones where position matters and it's difficult to cheat in PvP), the only option for us has been to put a lot of work into improving our combat simulation and resync code.

• I think you have it backwards on which mechanics are hardcore. An accuracy attribute is much less hardcore than the player having a display that accurately reflects their constraints and capabilities in the space. The granularity of whether an attack can be interrupted or a stun is postponed until the conclusion of the attack is less disruptive than a jumpy resync.

The importance of a simulation that accurately reflects what can and can't be done is much more important to a player than the mechanics you indicate as "hardcore" and in need of preservation. Your design chose a set of tradeoffs because there was no solution that made no tradeoffs. But the most important concession was the wrong one; that should not have budged.
  • Just one glance at the recent posts in this thread make me tired.

Why do some users keep crying and wonder why PoE has desync and other games have not.

Just read the freaking OP already and if you don't understand please just shut up.
    "
    074 wrote:
    "
    wakko wrote:

Then why wouldnt GGG do the same for PoE? That system sounds way better than PoE's system. Is it just a bad design choice or somehow limited to the engine or whatever?

For D3 system, you need fast servers with low ping to run smooth.

For whatever reason, PoE has poor ping (50-200ms, again, if you are used to any form of online games, is pretty bad). For PoE having such a high ping, "predictions" emulates the experience of low ping.

But in the end of the day, you can't escape lag, which messes up "predictions", aka desyncs.

TLDR:

Best system is "no prediction+low ping".

PoE is "prediction+high ping", although *feels* smoother than "no prediction+low ping", but you have desyncs as side effect.

So it's covering up the effects of the real problem without solving it: lag.

Why PoE is like this? I don't know, poor design choice from the creators probably.

The main difference is that Diablo III features a lack of game mechanics that can't easily be predicted and thus its prediction engine works a heck of a lot better/desyncs a ton less often.

Things such as stun, dodging an attack by moving the character out of the way in time, chance of an attack missing etc. and a couple other mechanics are the main cause of desync in POE. Remove them and you end up with a much more streamlined gameplay experience and less desync.

They want to keep those mechanics though as they're essential to creating the experience/game they prefer to play. I'm indifferent/leaning towards keeping the mechanics as it does add a bunch of diversity to the gameplay and removing them would make the gameplay considerably bland.

Just to emphasize this, Diablo III uses prediction technology as well otherwise it would simply be straight up unplayable for anyone over 100ms. The only reason why their system works "better" is due to them having a more streamlined (less diverse) gameplay experience.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
    Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on May 23, 2014, 6:26:33 AM
    "

The main difference is that Diablo III features a lack of game mechanics that can't easily be predicted and thus its prediction engine works a heck of a lot better/desyncs a ton less often.

Things such as stun, dodging an attack by moving the character out of the way in time, chance of an attack missing etc. and a couple other mechanics are the main cause of desync in POE. Remove them and you end up with a much more streamlined gameplay experience and less desync.

They want to keep those mechanics though as they're essential to creating the experience/game they prefer to play. I'm indifferent/leaning towards keeping the mechanics as it does add a bunch of diversity to the gameplay and removing them would make the gameplay considerably bland.

Just to emphasize this, Diablo III uses prediction technology as well otherwise it would simply be straight up unplayable for anyone over 100ms. The only reason why their system works "better" is due to them having a more streamlined (less diverse) gameplay experience.

There IS stun in D3 - lots of skills (especially Monk's skills) stun, stagger or knockback enemies. Some skills even force enemies to wander randomly (blind). But still, monsters dont desync.
    There are also TONS of monster's skills, that ARE intended to avoid by movement - most skills, used by elite mobs. And it is well-possible to avoid those by movement. Of course, sometimes you may get hit if you stop really near, but at least, you wont suddenly rubberband over half of the room as it happens in PoE. Furthermore, whole "life globes" system relies on movement in combat to regain health when you need it.
    Monsters also have a chance ti miss when hitting you, though i dont know, HOW that can be relevant to desync.
    D3 also has lots of movement skills, similar to those in PoE. The only difference is that in D3 desync from those skills is barely noticeable.

So, all you arguments are irrelevant. The only thing D3 really does to reduce desync is that ground isnt covered by tiny debris and doors are supposed to force-open (via attacks). You didnt mentioned that even.

IGN: MortalKombat
    Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
    That is not power
    Last edited by MortalKombat3 on May 23, 2014, 8:58:01 AM
    "
    "
    074 wrote:
    "
    wakko wrote:

Then why wouldnt GGG do the same for PoE? That system sounds way better than PoE's system. Is it just a bad design choice or somehow limited to the engine or whatever?

For D3 system, you need fast servers with low ping to run smooth.

For whatever reason, PoE has poor ping (50-200ms, again, if you are used to any form of online games, is pretty bad). For PoE having such a high ping, "predictions" emulates the experience of low ping.

But in the end of the day, you can't escape lag, which messes up "predictions", aka desyncs.

TLDR:

Best system is "no prediction+low ping".

PoE is "prediction+high ping", although *feels* smoother than "no prediction+low ping", but you have desyncs as side effect.

So it's covering up the effects of the real problem without solving it: lag.

Why PoE is like this? I don't know, poor design choice from the creators probably.

Desync has nothing to do with this ... all this calculations are made in milliseconds.
    Using Whirling Blades on an empty map with all mobs dead, will also create a lot of desyncs.

I think everything is related to "pathfinding", aka your exact location on every moment.
    If there are too many information loaded on the same time (sounds,graphic effects,positions of players/mobs), the lag will occur and here the "prediction" takes action and makes a syncronisation with the server....but how on earth is placing you into a pack of mobs all the time is beyond any logic.

The game is poorly programmed...that's all.
    In time maybe they will find a solution...:)
    "
    MortalKombat3 wrote:
    "

There IS stun in D3 - lots of skills (especially Monk's skills) stun, stagger or knockback enemies. Some skills even force enemies to wander randomly (blind). But still, monsters dont desync.
    There are also TONS of monster's skills, that ARE intended to avoid by movement - most skills, used by elite mobs. And it is well-possible to avoid those by movement. Of course, sometimes you may get hit if you stop really near, but at least, you wont suddenly rubberband over half of the room as it happens in PoE. Furthermore, whole "life globes" system relies on movement in combat to regain health when you need it.
    Monsters also have a chance ti miss when hitting you, though i dont know, HOW that can be relevant to desync.
    D3 also has lots of movement skills, similar to those in PoE. The only difference is that in D3 desync from those skills is barely noticeable.

So, all you arguments are irrelevant. The only thing D3 really does to reduce desync is that ground isnt covered by tiny debris and doors are supposed to force-open (via attacks). You didnt mentioned that even.

Maybe, the game (D3) has changed a fair bit since the version before v2.0.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
    Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on May 23, 2014, 11:17:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info