Current State of PoE - Summary

"
As per desync, I would have left it out as well. For several reasons:

(A) The horse can be beaten no further. GGG and the players are very much aware. No point in continuing it.

(B) Desync will never be rid of entirely. It can be masked, it can be reduced, but it will not be rid of.

(C) "Fixing" desync is a major change. Other polish/QoL matters listed are much easier. Seeing many of these things changed in a short period would make living with long term things such as desync and trading a bit more bearable.

I figured it was along those lines but some of the other items in the list are also glue by now. RNG used as a noun, adverb, adjective, and expletive comes to mind.
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
"
Xavderion wrote:

Quotes from Chris:

"
The ratio of steam to non-steam players can change over time based on environmental factors. At release it was about 50/50, due to heavy promotion on their front page. There are a lot more people playing on our platform than on Steam currently.

and

"
Online concurrency varies between 15k (at totally off-peak times while America/Europe are asleep) to up to around 50-60k at peak times or big releases.

The second quote means Steam:non-Steam ratio is around 30:70 at the moment, which means more Steam players than non-Steam players quit the game, which means the Steam chart isn't representative of the whole player base.

Okay, some actual numbers, still nothing about increasing number of players using stand alone client, just the ratio between steam and standalone. And "/online" still doesn't work, so we have to search for THAT ONE POST on the forum where Chris posts half of the data once a year. I guess we will never see the full picture again. Is counting players in real time as hard as fixing desync?

"
which means the Steam chart isn't representative of the whole player base.

It represents 30% of the player base.

"
sidtherat wrote:
playerbase is easiest to judge by chat traffic and poe.xyz items. it looks bad. inb4 whiteknights 'but not everybody use it' - so you say that traders/not-traders ratio changed recently? [citation needed]!

That's an interesting idea, poe.xyz.is should share some statistics. They've already replaced a non-existing trading system, now they can replace the non-existing player data. Give it a few years and fans will remake PoE without desync.
Last edited by dspair on Apr 11, 2014, 12:09:15 AM
"
dspair wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

Quotes from Chris:

"
The ratio of steam to non-steam players can change over time based on environmental factors. At release it was about 50/50, due to heavy promotion on their front page. There are a lot more people playing on our platform than on Steam currently.

and

"
Online concurrency varies between 15k (at totally off-peak times while America/Europe are asleep) to up to around 50-60k at peak times or big releases.

The second quote means Steam:non-Steam ratio is around 30:70 at the moment, which means more Steam players than non-Steam players quit the game, which means the Steam chart isn't representative of the whole player base.

Okay, some actual numbers, still nothing about increasing number of players using stand alone client, just the ratio between steam and standalone. And "/online" still doesn't work, so we have to search for THAT ONE POST on the forum where Chris posts half of the data once a year. I guess we will never see the full picture again. Is counting players in real time as hard as fixing desync?

The command was certainly taken away so Einstein's like us don't jump to conclusion without knowing concepts like concurrent user numbers or casual players only playing once a week but regular so.

As for the first sentence: I see no one mentioning increased base player numbers. Not in the OP, not in the parts you quoted. If you read the initial statement again, it says that Steam Player:Stand-Alone Player ratio is increasing towards Stand-Alone Player. This can also happen if only Steam Player numbers shrink, you see?

Imagine we have two pies. Apple Pie and Cherry Pie. You now only eat from the Apple Pie. Of course the Cherry Pie is now greater than the Apple Pie. Now imagine that you eat from both pies, from the small Apple Pie always two pieces of pie more than from the big Cherry Pie. The Cherry Pie will be way bigger than the Apple Pie and getting bigger although both lose their pieces.

Player regression is likely affecting both Clients, I agree. However we don't know about the amount of regression present in the Stand-Alone client and furthermore the Stand-Alone client holds a higher player base because of reasoning explained earlier (Russian/East Asian Players).

We can only speculate whereas GGG has the numbers and are running their business as always with altered communication (more Support taking up Dev communication; lack of early Patch Notes due to user feedback). One can get into a negative mindset fast into this forum, also explained in the OP. But it is only the reality of a small percentage of PoE players, last numbers showing only 5% of concurrent users using the forum and even less posting, also kinda observable in "user polls" created on here all the time. However the majority of active players are busy playing the product.

"
dspair wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
playerbase is easiest to judge by chat traffic and poe.xyz items. it looks bad. inb4 whiteknights 'but not everybody use it' - so you say that traders/not-traders ratio changed recently? [citation needed]!

That's an interesting idea, poe.xyz.is should share some statistics. They've already replaced a non-existing trading system, now they can replace the non-existing player data. Give it a few years and fans will remake PoE without desync.

Your love for the suggestion that we shall use poe.xyz stats instead of steam stats is funny. You know that poe.xyz requires forum interaction and you know that the forum user numbers are low as shit and likely have discerning features compared to the non-forum using player population. What do you want to confirm so desperately? That you are missing some dudes in your friendslist? Get new people to play with! That your guild is empty? Mine is not, surprise, surprise!

Sorry for the Wall of Text but seriously, if you browse the forum regular, you know that the game died 10 times already. The business is still running and content is produced, so what do you fear?
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Apr 11, 2014, 4:13:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info