Brian's Feedback to Looting (quote from reddit)

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/17i5sp/i_never_had_a_problem_with_the_drop_system_until/c85zgvv

"
Brian_GGG wrote:
Hey guys, just wanted to throw in my feedback on this issue. We're well aware there there are a lot of different opinions about contested loot in POE, and while we're pretty happy with the current implementation, it is far from set in stone.

Fundamentally, POE is a game about tough choices, about making your way in a harsh world with few initial resources. This is a theme that runs through the whole game, from the starting areas, to the cryptic early NPCs, to the lack of respecs, and the quickly ramping difficulty. Having quasi-FFA loot definitely falls right in line with the general cutthroat, competitive aesthetic of Wraeclast.

However, we pay a lot of attention to feedback, and we absolutely recognize that the current system is pretty brutal on some players, especially new players, or those with slower connections of computers. I know exactly how it feels to have loot snagged out from under your nose, having played Diablo 2 for many many years. It's a frustrating experience that often makes you question why you're even playing in the first place.

Conversely, in a good group that has some basic "gentleman's rules", the current FFA-timer implementation VASTLY speeds up the pace of game play. We've tinkered around with a lot of different loot timers, and we've found that when we extend them, even by a little bit, the pace of the game drags considerably. You want to just be moving along all the time, going from pack to pack, blowing stuff up. The last thing you want to be doing is standing around every time some stuff dies, waiting for all your little bars to decay.

When everyone agrees to play by a fundamental set of rules, be they real "FFA" or "leave stuff alone that's not yours", the loot tends to average out pretty well anyway. Groups can also verbally punish or shame a player who appears to be abusing the drop system, and you do decide who you party with.

Ultimately, we believe that having an FFA-based system is good for the general health of the game. When you play in a group with completely player-bound, invisible-to-others loot like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2, you really get the feeling that you're playing in a bubble. The other players with you might as well be bots, and there is little shared or vicarious joy in lucky stuff that drops. That's something we're definitely trying to avoid.

POE has proven to be extremely popular since our Open Beta release, far popular than we could have expected, and so we're obviously catering to a pretty wide audience. A certain portion of that audience is put off by the cutthroat nature of loot distribution in the game, and we're not deaf to those concerns. This is an issue that is going to be going through a lot of internal discussion in the weeks and months ahead.

Thanks for the understanding and for the great feedback. I really appreciate all the time people have taken to post here, as well as their passion for the game!

For the members who do not frequent/scroll down on Reddit. Also for what it is worth I agree with the current looting model of the game for the reasons mentioned above.
Last edited by Covert on Feb 4, 2013, 10:56:07 PM
Bump This thread has increased in approval by +1
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Edel
You know - it kinda bothers me that anyone from GGG would post there, and not here, in relation to this overly exploded issue.

But w/e.
GGG - Why you no?
Last edited by JoannaDark on Jan 30, 2013, 1:36:31 PM
That it's being discussed - that their ears are not closed - is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. I am very, very happy about this.
Yeah i think this deserves a more official type of post.
While I support their choice with loot.

The consequences of that are that I flat out refuse to group. The worst aspect of any multiplayer game is always other players, and allowing other players to "steal" from one another just isn't an experience I feel like participating within.

I'm still going to play, and show off my Kiwi and cosmetics in town, probably for quiet awhile.

But I will NEVER group with random people as long as FFA loot is a part of the game, its just not worth it.
Dear Brian, as far as I can tell from chatting online, very few people are using your loot rules anyway. They are either playing exclusively with their friends who share everything anyway, or they are making gentleman's agreements and devising their own rules. Why keep your rules if very few using them? As a consequence of the current system I think you have killed off public multiplayer in the game. Many many people would rather play solo than group with strangers who may give into temptation regardless of any agreement made in advance. This is a great shame for the game as a whole.

I do not think anyone wants the FFA loot to be removed. People would simply like to have the option to turn it off when they feel like it. It's all about options.

There is no "tough choice" in having all your loot hoovered by someone using Leap when you are not using Leap. No choice. Nothing you can do about it.
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.
Last edited by GhostlightX on Jan 30, 2013, 1:59:10 PM
"
JoannaDark wrote:
You know - it kinda bothers me that anyone from GGG would post there, and not here, in relation to this overly exploded issue.

But w/e.

They have said all the things Brian has said, in the past on these forums. Nothing Brian has said is new or something you couldn't find with a persistent forum search.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
JoannaDark wrote:

But w/e.

The reddit group was created by GGG as well, just like their twitter, so it's a good place to find devs responses too.
"
anubite wrote:
"
JoannaDark wrote:

But w/e.

They have said all the things Brian has said, in the past on these forums. Nothing Brian has said is new or something you couldn't find with a persistent forum search.

yes - but the last dated statement is over a year old. IMO, they should update this stance, for the sake of everyone new, and for the sake of our sanity :P

Actually, check back a few posts, I clearly dont believe that this would change anything. People will still complain.
GGG - Why you no?
Last edited by JoannaDark on Jan 30, 2013, 2:01:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info