Suggestions for a Pvp That People Would Actually Play

Hello Dev. Team and Community,

Thank you in advance for your feedback. Dev. team: Thank you for being a group of people that actually listens to the gaming community that you shepherd.

Here we go:

I think that many Action-RPGs are having trouble doing fun, balanced and competitive pvp because they want people to be able to play their existing heroes and they want gear to be a big part of it, like it is in MMO's.

I don't think this is possible. For PvP to be competitive, balanced, and fun, it needs to be completely separated from the PvE side of the game. There are games that do this well now because PvP is the primary goal; i.e. DOTA2, LoL, Team Fortress 2, etc.

So my suggestion is this:

You guys craft the class "builds" that people can play in PvP. Considering the amount of possible combinations in this game, you can start out with a relatively small pool and build up.

Example: Support Templar. Give him a certain passive tree and certain skill gems. People can pick this character to play a support role in competitive PvP.

MAKING IT FUN AND ADDICTIVE:

RANKING UP
Now. Some games do this and it feels like you have gone way too in depth too soon and the PvP doesn't have that fun, rank up factor.

You guys could fix this by making simpler heroes and forcing new gamers/pvpers to play in this pool. Then when you've had so many games/wins/mmr. You can play in a more difficult pool with more complex heroes. You could have several tiers of this sort of thing.

MMR
I find that having a game with visible MMR is a reward all of its own.

VANITY REWARDS:
It would be very neat to be able to win some of the vanity rewards by participating in pvp, hitting a certain mmr, leveling up in pvp, reaching a certain amount of games played, completing achievements in pvp, etc.

LEAGUES
PvP only leagues. You guys are awesome at this already.

INCENTIVES FOR PVE
You could always offer pve only items that you win in pvp. I know people sometime complain about this, but it's obviously up to you guys.

Thanks for listening. GL out there.

Sincerely,

Wun Wun
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Yes.
Yes please. Delicious.
PvP as a rogue exile?
<3 Free Tibet <3
Bump for support y'all.
Neat idea, I like it.

About 20 or so builds that are pretty well balanced among each other sounds a lot easier than trying to balance any combination of passives and skills somebody could come up with.

I think there was an idea a while back of having 2 separate passives trees. One for your main build, and another specific to PVP. I liked that idea too.
+1 (not as the sole mode of pvp, but as another)
Last edited by awave on Apr 12, 2014, 6:24:32 PM
Honestly, I think that using pre-baked builds is just about the only way you could PvP in a game like this, otherwise you're gonna have a situation where someone finds the uberPvP build and then anyone who doesn't play that specific build doesn't have much of a chance in PvP. So yeah, +1 I suppose.
Closed beta member since: March 19, 2012
EDITED 4/17/2014

More of a -1 than a +1 from me.

I do not agree with (like some people in the community) making it so players are forced to play a specific, popular build type. That's boring!

Here is what really needs to happen to further improve PvP in Path of Exile:

Other than altering certain Skill Gems for balancing reasons in PvP, players should be given a second Skill Tree dedicated to PvP only while playing PvE so they can easily switch between their PvP Skill Tree and PvE Skill Tree with a click of a button placed at the top left-hand or right-hand corner of the Skill Tree screen.

Furthermore, as players level up and gain Skill Points for their PvE Skill Tree, they will also gain an equal amount of Skill Points for their PvP Skill Tree.

(The scenario for disabling the PvP Skill Tree)

Note: A message in red text will say, "The PvP Skill Tree is not active because you are in PvE."

Players who are not currently in a PvE environment will then have their PvP Skill Tree disabled, yet players can still allocate nodes on their PvP Skill Tree as they level.

(The scenario for disabling the PvE Skill Tree)

Note: A message in red text will say, "The PvE Skill Tree is not active because you are in PvP."

Players who are currently in a PvP environment, arena, or the like will then have their PvE Skill Tree disabled, yet players can still allocate nodes on their PvE Skill Tree as they level.

On a bigger note: Skill Tree nodes allocated in whichever Skill Tree is disabled whether it's the PvE or PvP Skill Tree will be highlighted yet more transparent, that which indicates those nodes on that Skill Tree are not active until players enter the right conditions, environment, arena, and the like.

Conclusively, this makes it easier for developers to actually update & tweak the PvP Skill Tree without having to touch the PvE Skill Tree, and without having to make a separate league!

"
Dominari wrote:
I just do not understand how a game could have good PvP even if you have a separate spec because your gear is taken into account which creates crazy balancing issues.

I think the only way to make PvP a viable and competitive option is to cancel out gear. Now, with your "pre-baked" character, you could still level up in different ways. Sort of like how some FPS' do it. You could unlock more complex classes and different spells for your character. Either way, it needs to be a separate game mode.

What do you guys think?

I have now explained how having a separate Skill Tree dedicated to PvP will actually work.

That being said, IF certain gear to some players is going to be an issue in PvP, think of an airport that checks people for things they're not allowed to bring on a plane.

For example, GGG's developers can make it where when players talk to the PvP NPC to PvP, PoE's game code can make the PvP NPC check the player's gear, and if it sees something OP that's not allowed in PvP, a list of gear and a message will come up saying, "Due to PvP balancing, you must first un-equip the following gear before entering PvP:"
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Apr 18, 2014, 12:06:47 AM
I just do not understand how a game could have good PvP even if you have a separate spec because your gear is taken into account which creates crazy balancing issues.

I think the only way to make PvP a viable and competitive option is to cancel out gear. Now, with your "pre-baked" character, you could still level up in different ways. Sort of like how some FPS' do it. You could unlock more complex classes and different spells for your character. Either way, it needs to be a separate game mode.

What do you guys think?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info