[1.2.0] UPDATE CI Fire Trap/Fireball Searing Touch Shadow/Witch Build w/High Damage!

"
Halezor wrote:
Couple questions as I am crafting my own Witch fire trapper and saw your thread:

1) You ignore the extra AoE and Burn Damage nodes in Templar area and you are so close to them...why? Do you only take the burn damage nodes if you DON'T have a Searing Touch? I just started Rampage so this is of course the case for me haha.

2) You don't take (for 4 points!) the extra chance to ignite and fire damage nodes in witch area...why? You already have the extra 5% chance to ignite from Shad.

3) You seem to take a lot of mana nodes...is this build mana intensive with a 4/5/6 Link?

Any input appreciated! Here is the 1.2 tree I am thinking of running as a witch:

Let me see if I can amnswer your questions :)

1) I used to run the AOE nodes near the templar tree. Now crit is all over the tree and may be the better option. I literally just dropped the 45/15/15 burning nodes with this patch. I find the crit more helpful. Both are viable. I am running ST for the 6 link and the +2 to fire gems as it is amazing with Fire Trap, especially a level 21 version.

If you prefer a burn build over crit, it is viable and it is fun :) It is even better with a Searing Touch and I wouldn't want to do a build without the extra 6 link at this point with +2 gems. If you have crit gear, there is no doubt you should go Crit over burn.

2) The 10% fire damage nodes are the only good ones and I would rather spend them on crit over ignite duration/chance to ignite. I run chance to ignite as a gem and am at about 50% right now or more, I'll check when I get home. I don't feel it is worth the points when I already ignite a ton. Saving points will allow me to get either dual curses/better auras or more burn damage/crit.

3) I only have 3 clusters of mana nodes now. It is not very mana intensive, but at a 6 link you want a decent pool to drop traps. I have 1500 mana with 3 clusters, which is pretty standard.

Build Suggestions: These are just suggestions and what I would personally do, not any thing wrong with your build.

Looking at your tree you will have a good deal less ES than I. I personally don't think the increased aoe radius is worth it. At least not the 4% nodes. I think your build is viable but it could be maximized a bit better. It really comes down to what you notice when you play. For me I don't feel the need for the 5% ignite nodes including the entire top right portion of that insanely large fire tree. I think you will want the better auras as it gives you more mana, more es and more regen. I also do not like the 10% crit multiplier nodes unless you have exhausted all other options as the increase is nominal.

You will need mana nodes though, so plan to have a fluid build that allows you to take mana nodes.

Can you link your gear?
For my current builds, thoughts and videos.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Last edited by Grocery on Aug 21, 2014, 10:58:15 AM
"
Grocery wrote:

1) I used to run the AOE nodes near the templar tree. Now crit is all over the tree and may be the better option. I literally just dropped the 45/15/15 burning nodes with this patch. I find the crit more helpful. Both are viable. I am running ST for the 6 link and the +2 to fire gems as it is amazing with Fire Trap, especially a level 21 version.

If you prefer a burn build over crit, it is viable and it is fun :) It is even better with a Searing Touch and I wouldn't want to do a build without the extra 6 link at this point with +2 gems. If you have crit gear, there is no doubt you should go Crit over burn.

2) The 10% fire damage nodes are the only good ones and I would rather spend them on crit over ignite duration/chance to ignite. I run chance to ignite as a gem and am at about 50% right now or more, I'll check when I get home. I don't feel it is worth the points when I already ignite a ton. Saving points will allow me to get either dual curses/better auras or more burn damage/crit.

3) I only have 3 clusters of mana nodes now. It is not very mana intensive, but at a 6 link you want a decent pool to drop traps. I have 1500 mana with 3 clusters, which is pretty standard.

Build Suggestions: These are just suggestions and what I would personally do, not any thing wrong with your build.

Looking at your tree you will have a good deal less ES than I. I personally don't think the increased aoe radius is worth it. At least not the 4% nodes. I think your build is viable but it could be maximized a bit better. It really comes down to what you notice when you play. For me I don't feel the need for the 5% ignite nodes including the entire top right portion of that insanely large fire tree. I think you will want the better auras as it gives you more mana, more es and more regen. I also do not like the 10% crit multiplier nodes unless you have exhausted all other options as the increase is nominal.

You will need mana nodes though, so plan to have a fluid build that allows you to take mana nodes.

Can you link your gear?

Thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it. No gear AT ALL b/c I am crafting this build for my GF who just started playing, and we both rolled new Rampage toons last night.

I REALLY appreciate the specific feedback. I will go for more ES (I have no experience with ES toons) and will likely focus crit a bit more. Didn't realize there was a Chance to Ignite gem (though I'm sure I must have a couple haha) but also didn't realize it would be worth using over other damage gems?

For a 4L Fire trap, would you go: Fire Trap + Chance to Ignite + Increase Burn Damage + Added Fire?

Thanks again. We will probably keep the burn and ignite passive nodes for now and spec out of them once the right gear comes alone. A Searing Touch for sure, if we can find/buy one easily later on.

When do you recommend switch from Life to CI, or do you just buff ES from the very start and not bother with life nodes at all?

Cheers mate!

-Hale
"
Halezor wrote:
"
Grocery wrote:

Can you link your gear?

Thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it. No gear AT ALL b/c I am crafting this build for my GF who just started playing, and we both rolled new Rampage toons last night.

I REALLY appreciate the specific feedback. I will go for more ES (I have no experience with ES toons) and will likely focus crit a bit more. Didn't realize there was a Chance to Ignite gem (though I'm sure I must have a couple haha) but also didn't realize it would be worth using over other damage gems?

For a 4L Fire trap, would you go: Fire Trap + Chance to Ignite + Increase Burn Damage + Added Fire?

Thanks again. We will probably keep the burn and ignite passive nodes for now and spec out of them once the right gear comes alone. A Searing Touch for sure, if we can find/buy one easily later on.

When do you recommend switch from Life to CI, or do you just buff ES from the very start and not bother with life nodes at all?

Cheers mate!

-Hale

Chance to ignite is a very cheap gem.

I prefer Fire Trap > Concentrated Effect (huge damage increase) > Elemental Prolif (spread the burn) > Chance to ignite/Empower (level 3 adds 2 levels, for the rich, not me, level 4 adds 3 levels to fire trap) > increased aoe/fire pen

Remember that when you crit, you ignite. When you ignite, you spread that ignite to other nearby monsters with Elemental proliferation. So the combo of crit, chance to ignite, ele prolif and conc effect is very good.

Leveling CI is hard. you have to go life until you have the gear to make it possible. As such, I usually level fire trap and freezing pulse or some other good leveling skill as life.

For a first build your GF will sure learn to play the game because this is a faster paced build. Definitely not a ground slam snoozefest :)
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Last edited by Grocery on Aug 21, 2014, 12:46:06 PM
"
Grocery wrote:

Chance to ignite is a very cheap gem.

I prefer Fire Trap > Concentrated Effect (huge damage increase) > Elemental Prolif (spread the burn) > Chance to ignite/Empower (level 3 adds 2 levels, for the rich, not me, level 4 adds 3 levels to fire trap) > increased aoe/fire pen

Remember that when you crit, you ignite. When you ignite, you spread that ignite to other nearby monsters with Elemental proliferation. So the combo of crit, chance to ignite, ele prolif and conc effect is very good.

Leveling CI is hard. you have to go life until you have the gear to make it possible. As such, I usually level fire trap and freezing pulse or some other good leveling skill as life.

For a first build your GF will sure learn to play the game because this is a faster paced build. Definitely not a ground slam snoozefest :)

EDIT: Any chance you could throw together an early "life tree" build prior to the CI swtich...which is when? Early/mid Merc if the gear is there?

Thanks dude! She is an accomplished WoW raider and Diablo vet, but the passive tree in PoE is a whole other animal hahaha. She knew right away she wanted to play witch, but found the ability to head anywhere a little daunting. I said I would put together a loose framework for her, but that I always play melee so would have to "consult the boards" haha. So thanks!

And thanks for the tip re: crit = ignite, so buff crit and throw prolif in the mix for extra burn love to the other mobs.

I may make this toon myself, it has been fun to theorycraft. I am playing a lazy pally to be her tank and leveling a BM dual flame totem Mara as my solo/MF toon.

Cheers!
Last edited by Halezor on Aug 21, 2014, 12:50:52 PM
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMABAcGdwceCPQOSBBYEZYe8B8CH1smlSqNLJwvbzIYMjQ2PTbYOlhEq0cGSRtJUVMxVUtVrlXGVytd8mHiYqxqQ2sXbIxtGXBRcFJwu3DVf8aCEIPbh2WJ04w2j6aVIJUunWOdqqKjpLGnNKyYr7ezA7b3t3W86r2CwFTAnMHFwfPYVNkT2-ffit-w44TljukC7BjsVe4V8NXxbPb8_rM=

Be warned that link is very, very quick. Optomize to your heart's content. I am sure it is not perfect but something like that would be good because you don't have to blow too many passive refund points when switching to CI. You can drop some crit nodes/damage nodes if you need other stuff earlier.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
"
Grocery wrote:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMABAcGdwceCPQOSBBYEZYe8B8CH1smlSqNLJwvbzIYMjQ2PTbYOlhEq0cGSRtJUVMxVUtVrlXGVytd8mHiYqxqQ2sXbIxtGXBRcFJwu3DVf8aCEIPbh2WJ04w2j6aVIJUunWOdqqKjpLGnNKyYr7ezA7b3t3W86r2CwFTAnMHFwfPYVNkT2-ffit-w44TljukC7BjsVe4V8NXxbPb8_rM=

Be warned that link is very, very quick. Optomize to your heart's content. I am sure it is not perfect but something like that would be good because you don't have to blow too many passive refund points when switching to CI. You can drop some crit nodes/damage nodes if you need other stuff earlier.

Again, thanks man! The community here is one of the first I have bothered to spend time on the forums interacting with, and for good reason. So many great members.

I threw together a progression thread for the build, I need to change my early model to pick up some of the better life nodes I (somehow) missed. Less traveling :P

*** EDIT: Witch start theory craft thread here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1000987

Starts as life, shows progression, shows switch to ES/CI, finishes at 107 points.

Mega-thanks to Grocery for inspiration and help!!!!! *** END EDIT ***

When do you think the switch to CI is advisable? No earlier than Merc, right, and only in early Merc if you have the gear? What is min. ES on rare chest you would switch with, like 450 (min)?

Last edited by Halezor on Aug 21, 2014, 2:08:14 PM
"
Halezor wrote:
"
Grocery wrote:

Again, thanks man! The community here is one of the first I have bothered to spend time on the forums interacting with, and for good reason. So many great members.

I threw together a progression thread for the build, I need to change my early model to pick up some of the better life nodes I (somehow) missed. Less traveling :P

When do you think the switch to CI is advisable? No earlier than Merc, right, and only in early Merc if you have the gear? What is min. ES on rare chest you would switch with, like 450 (min)?

The community is awesome, for sure.

Anytime after Merc start assuming you have the gear for it. I would shoot for 450 or over yeah, but ES gear is not cheap and at the start of the league it can be even more expensive. If you find that life works well for the price, you can always stay life until ES becomes cheaper :)
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Ventured into level 74/75 maps. I don't do dominus maps, but no issues still. Did a double piety np.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
New Merveil in Necropolis is quite comical. It is a bunch tougher, but it can be done with this build even without ZO/Gohst Reaver.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Added Video guide!

Running 75+ maps now.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Last edited by Grocery on Aug 23, 2014, 5:08:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info