Is EK gonna get nerfed or not?

I'm not aware of any plans to nerf EK specifically.
We do plan to fix some projectile interactions to work as intended that currently do not, and this will result in less benefit using EK (among other skills) with certain support gems.
This is not being done to nerf EK because we think it's too powerful, it's being done to make things work in a more intuitive and sensible manner, as we intended them to work. I have no current ETA on those particular changes.

Specifically, it is not considered correct functionality that when a projectile chains or forks, the 'new' projectile(s) created are as though they had just been fired - this is supposed to represent the original projectile continuing after the hit, just like pierce, not a new projectile being fired.
For projectiles with a set lifetime such as EK and Freezing pulse, this means forking/chaining will no longer 'reset' that lifetime as it does now - if a knife has 0.2 seconds of it's animation before it stops being collidable when it chains, the chained knife will continue on with that 0.2 seconds, rather than a brand new duration.
Similarly, An Ice spear that has changed to it's second form and chains will stay in second form, not revert to first form until it covers that distance again.
This chance will also include fixing the interaction of Point Blank and Chin Sol's unique bonus based on distance with chain - the distance travelled will also be remembered after the chain/fork, where it currently is not.

Again, this is not being done to nerf EK specifically, but to make things work intuitively and as intended. This will, however, have a notable effect on the efficiancy of EK when used with Chain or Fork support gems. So far as I'm aware we don't consider EK to be overpowered at the moment (but Carl's the one to really check that with), and if we feel that EK is not longer good enough after this change is implemented, it might well be buffed numerically to make up for the lost efficiency from this fix - but again, that's Carl's call, not mine.

I have posted about this upcoming change a few times in the past when asked if certain interaction such as these were intended or were bugs, so I suspect that's where the rumors of a nerf to EK may have come from.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info