Please do not start balancing skills around PvP

"

This is mostly even more laughable than suggesting Molten Shell counters Flicker Strike. As a witch you are not going to have the kind of life regen necessary to stand up to a concentrated Viper Strike attack unless you go so far out of your way on the passive tree that you do no damage. Immunity flasks don't last forever; they can just keep recasting the curse until it sticks. Penetration supports and Elemental Weakness/Flammability can be gotten around by going with path 2 so Molten Shell never goes off. Using clarity or blood magic is the only thing that actually works out of all that, and it results in a draw.

I agree with the idea that you should have to build characters that aren't one-dimensional, but nothing you've said in any way disproves that Flicker Strike is OP.

Well my merc witch in closed beta had CI, so viper strike was a non-starter.

Good luck overcoming 20k of molten shell damage in high level pvp.

If you keep wasting your time casting curses instead of attacking, you'll be dead.

Molten shell isn't the be all and end all skill but it's effective in some cases. It's more OP in later levels. Regardless, the top 5 players in closed beta 28 pvp (which I think most you guys are talking in about)... none of them used flicker strike as their primarily skill.

The guys main skills;

Invalesco (dual strike)
Hexaste (dual strike)
Counterlogic (viper strike)
Robot (low life bear trap build)
Brand (spark and molten shell)

From my memory and correct me if I'm wrong, towards the end of closed beta in 28 level pvp...

Robot beat Invalesco, Hexaste, and Counterlogic, but lost to Brand.
Counterlogic beat Invalesco, Hexaste, and Brand, but lost to Robot.
I (Brand) lost to Invalesco, Hex, and Counterlogic, but won against Robot.
IGN: _Firebitch
"
Firebrand76 wrote:
"

This is mostly even more laughable than suggesting Molten Shell counters Flicker Strike. As a witch you are not going to have the kind of life regen necessary to stand up to a concentrated Viper Strike attack unless you go so far out of your way on the passive tree that you do no damage. Immunity flasks don't last forever; they can just keep recasting the curse until it sticks. Penetration supports and Elemental Weakness/Flammability can be gotten around by going with path 2 so Molten Shell never goes off. Using clarity or blood magic is the only thing that actually works out of all that, and it results in a draw.

I agree with the idea that you should have to build characters that aren't one-dimensional, but nothing you've said in any way disproves that Flicker Strike is OP.

Well my merc witch in closed beta had CI, so viper strike was a non-starter.

Good luck overcoming 20k of molten shell damage in high level pvp.

If you keep wasting your time casting curses instead of attacking, you'll be dead.

Molten shell isn't the be all and end all skill but it's effective in some cases. It's more OP in later levels. Regardless, the top 5 players in closed beta 28 pvp (which I think most you guys are talking in about)... none of them used flicker strike as their primarily skill.

The guys main skills;

Invalesco (dual strike)
Hexaste (dual strike)
Counterlogic (viper strike)
Robot (low life bear trap build)
Brand (spark and molten shell)

From my memory and correct me if I'm wrong, towards the end of closed beta in 28 level pvp...

Robot beat Invalesco, Hexaste, and Counterlogic, but lost to Brand.
Counterlogic beat Invalesco, Hexaste, and Brand, but lost to Robot.
I (Brand) lost to Invalesco, Hex, and Counterlogic, but won against Robot.

This is probably the most sound post you've made; the only way for someone with Flicker to beat a CI witch is to go with path 1 and hope they can engage fast enough to avoid getting cursed too badly, and that isn't very reliable. However, this feeds back into the main topic of the thread because energy shield is also too powerful even after the nerf to CI, because it simply regens so quickly that anyone with mobility can simply get away and get all of their effective health back. Right now the extreme amounts of damage in PvP keep that in check, but I don't find a OHKO fest to be fun in an action-RPG. As a consequence of that I'd rather nerf certain skills such as Flicker which, when used with other skills that should probably also get nerfed, counter a number of builds that in my opinion is excessive, and then proceed to tone down ES as well to stop it from being even stronger as a result. The only genre where I'm okay with people getting one-shotted is FPS, and even then not everything kills in one hit, and the things that do are appropriately difficult to set up properly.
Last edited by AValidAccountName on Feb 2, 2013, 1:34:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info