This game looks Amazing.

There was a solid article on MMORPG.com and they interviewed one of the MMORPG developers... they asked him why the industry is switching to the F2P model and his answer was pretty simple and made a lot of sense:

Any online game needs a large player base to succeed. If players can't find anyone to play with, then why play online? Let's say you have 100 players. 80 of them will never pay for anything within the game, 15 of them will pay once in a while and 5 of them will spend at least $10-15 on monthly bases as if they were paying for a P2P title. Those non-paying players are ensuring that the paying players stay. If the title is P2P it's much harder to attract players because now you're just focusing on one specific group of people -- the ones that are willing to pay. And if there is not enough of those... well, the game fails. Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of The Rings Online and many other titles saved themselves from total and permanent shut down by switching to the F2P model. Heck, Dungeons and Dragons Online lets you have all the content that a paying player would have... you just have to invest more time to get the turbine points.

As a side note, though... a lot of those games still make you pay for more game content (without which you won't be able to level much), important things such as bag space, limited character slots (2-3... so you can't even mule... or have to make countless accounts... and then some of them counter that with inability to send mail unless you're a paying member).

Look at WoW for example.... they are struggling. They've lost a lot of players. Their latest patch lets you play free through lvl 20 content and be at lvl 20 forever. Slowly, but surely they're going for F2P model. I mean... they already charge players for lots of services like character transfer and son... heck, might as well.

Once again, though... lucky for as (and smart on GGG's side), GGG is not restricting gameplay options for non-paying users. So there's always (I hope) going to be a large player base.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
At least for me, Path of Exile is the REAL sequel to Diablo 2, since Diablo 3 looks more like a WoW game than the dark atmosphere and gameplay Diablo series used to be.

So in my opinion, PoE can easily compete with other games of the same style, since it is F2P and attracts many fans of Diablo 1 and 2 like me. In fact, I got the knowledge about this game in a forum where I asked if there was any games with a diablo-ish style. The only thing it needs most is a strong advertisement.
This is the REAL sequel of Diablo 2!
- If you couldn't understand my post (or found a lot of grammar mistakes lol), sorry, because English is not my native language.
This game plays amazing also, I spent 10hrs on it in one sitting! I have not done that since D2.
RIP Bolto
"
Giulianosse wrote:
At least for me, Path Diablo 3 looks more like a WoW game than the dark atmosphere and gameplay Diablo series used to be.

I'll disagree with that comment, but I'm not saying you're wrong. In my own opinion, D3 looks very nice and plays a lot like D2. They've added nice PVP additions... a lot like Guild Wars, I guess.

The reason I'm choosing POE over D3 is because Blizzard has changed a lot over the past few years. They take less feedback from players and they're becoming more money hungry. I think they got too much air in their heads and think that they are dominating the market completely. I am glad to see companies like GGG stepping up and contesting their superiority. GGG is a brand new company and they have one of the most innovative skill systems I have ever seen, very intelligent staff that understands what gamers want (I developed that opinion after reading their currency article) and they are very receptive to what fans have to say.

As much as I've enjoyed previous Blizzard titles, I will not be purchasing their future titles because of what they've become -- a corporate money hungry beast. That is why a good portion of Blizzard North and a lot of other great minds are no longer part of that company.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
Last edited by bkboggy on Jul 13, 2011, 8:27:12 PM
i cant wait til this one is up.......looks like its gonna be one hell of a good game... Bring it on :D
"
Covert wrote:
This game plays amazing also, I spent 10hrs on it in one sitting! I have not done that since D2.

That's great to hear Covert. I'm glad you got in, you deserve it!
I love lamp
Last edited by jmackay on Jul 13, 2011, 10:25:20 PM
Woops, not sure what happened with that last post...

Anyway, I'm happy for you Covert, you deserve it!
I love lamp
"
jmackay wrote:
Woops, not sure what happened with that last post...

Anyway, I'm happy for you Covert, you deserve it!

Thanks mate. I'll try to be active on here as much as possible too.
RIP Bolto
"
Giulianosse wrote:
At least for me, Path of Exile is the REAL sequel to Diablo 2, since Diablo 3 looks more like a WoW game than the dark atmosphere and gameplay Diablo series used to be.

So in my opinion, PoE can easily compete with other games of the same style, since it is F2P and attracts many fans of Diablo 1 and 2 like me. In fact, I got the knowledge about this game in a forum where I asked if there was any games with a diablo-ish style. The only thing it needs most is a strong advertisement.

I strongly disagree with your accusation. For me and millions of others, no game will come close to how great Diablo 3 is going to be and I am 100% certain of that.

Whilst POE is going to be an amazing game and definitely one that I've been looking for, for a long time, it will not overtake Diablo 3. People are saying that Diablo 3 isn't as dark as it should have been.... well i'm not sure what you've been watching, but from some gameplay vids i have seen, POE has a vibrant array of colours as well. Really, how "dark" a game is, doesn't bother me whatsoever. It is the graphics and fundamental gameplay that strikes its audience and will allow games like POE and Diablo 3 to be successful.
WOOOOO_NESS_OF_DOOM!!!!!
Never underestimate the desire of people to look cooler than their friends or enemies.

Also there's gonna be a whole lot of "donation" type purchases I think, judging by what people are saying here. People who just want to chip in a bit of money to show support.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info