16 GB RAM worth it?

I just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeX-Me9efWI

I can't really imagine that you would need 16 GB RAM for videogames now or in the near future, isn't that kind of wasted money?

I will probably buy a new pc in the future but I thought 8 GB RAM would be enough...
Probably not if I plan to use that pc for 5+ years but I don't have that kind of money to buy a machine that lasts 5 years & can play the newest games everytime...
Type of ram matters. They come in many flavors and I recommend talking to someone familiar with your needs and computer.

Do you multi task?

Is your computer newer or older?

Are you experiencing slow downs during certain situations?

I got more, but my spouse just ordered me to go. Good luck.

Spoiler
I'm so whipped....
8GB isn't even needed for games, 16GB is for video editing and such.
I put 16GB into my current build (just for shits and giggles, cause I could) and I'm lucky if I use 5 or 6GB. All I do is game, watch movies, and web surf.

Use that extra money elsewhere in the build.
I was kinda irritated that they would say it is a gaming rig, because I'm aware that if you do video editing & stuff, then you need more RAM, but since they said in the video it is a gaming pc...

I have only seen 2 games so far that need much ram, on the other hand I'm not really well informed because I don't buy & play the newest games these days. The Thief reboot (4GBRAM) & Planetside 2 (6GBRAM). I think 10 GB RAM (if that is possible) is more then enough, even in the future. (I googled & I saw that Metro 2033 needs 8 GB RAM)

Even if there will be games in the near future that use 10 GB RAM, then you're CPU or GPU will be the bottleneck, I can't imagine everyone going out & buying high end hardware, most people are going for a tradeoff.

"
"
lolibusxd wrote:

I have only seen 2 games so far that need much ram, on the other hand I'm not really well informed because I don't buy & play the newest games these days. The Thief reboot (4GBRAM) & Planetside 2 (6GBRAM). I think 10 GB RAM (if that is possible) is more then enough, even in the future. (I googled & I saw that Metro 2033 needs 8 GB RAM)

Even if there will be games in the near future that use 10 GB RAM, then you're CPU or GPU will be the bottleneck, I can't imagine everyone going out & buying high end hardware, most people are going for a tradeoff.

Than, your*

Sorry, I get this "your thing" wrong all the time, english is not my native language.
I would say that for a power user 8GB is not enough. I tend to do lots of stuff at the same time.
I'm in an abusive relationship with life. It keeps beating the hell out of me and I'm too cowardly to leave it.

IGN • NCPereira
STEAM • steamcommunity.com/id/NCPereira
Depends on what you use your computer for. When I built my last PC (for this damn game), I considered 16GB a minimum.
BLAMT!
"
NCPereira wrote:
I would say that for a power user 8GB is not enough. I tend to do lots of stuff at the same time.

What do you mean with that?

Like playing a game & then alt tabbing & reading something in your browser. Or like running a virus scanner & playing a game at the same time. Rendering a video & playing a game.

8 gigs is enough. If for some reason you find you need more you can always buy more at a later point.

i personally have 12 just cause RAM is a relatively cheap but for most people 8 is all you need.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info