Updated 4/10/2014 - Currency Price Checking System (UI) Tab to Improve Trading (with coding example)

Updated 4/10/2014 - Place your vote! What would you like to see happen out of the three?

1. All Orb prices from the NPC should be 100% higher than currently illustrated in the Vendor's Crafting Materials / Orb Currency Tab spoiler to act as a base price so players can barter with other players more fairly.

2. Have GGG make a game code algorithm that periodically changes orb prices based on Supply & Demand.

or

3. Leave the prices as they are as illustrated in the Vendor's Crafting Materials / Orb Currency Tab spoiler

If you pick one (with good reasoning behind your choice,) I may consider updating my OP.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

3/4/2014 EDIT: All 8 of my best UI & game mechanics suggestions have now been put together into a single organized thread http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/807157

/////////////////////////////////////////////

I have seen a lot of suggestion threads suggesting something like this, but there has been no concrete example of what it may / could look like if implemented into PoE.

Since we already have a good idea on what these orbs are worth whether leagues have reset or not, the displayed prices of these orbs have been the price they are for quite some time.

The Vendor's Equipment Tab (Window 1)
I put the Transmutation Orb and Scroll(s) in the top right-hand corner of the Equipment Tab. The reason for this is because the Transmutation Orb gets you scrolls, anyway, it's the most common Orb in the game, and that's why it's not in the Crafting Materials Tab (mainly for price checking.)

I also combined the two windows by tabs to make it easier to switch between them.

The Vendor's Crafting Materials / Orb Currency Tab (Window 2)
Think about it... This Crafting Materials System would do away with a lot of players asking questions about what these 10 main orbs are worth.

Note 1: All Orb prices from the NPC will be 100% higher than currently illustrated in the image below to act as a base price so players can barter with other players more fairly.

Note 2: The NPC in charge of this orb currency price check system will not have to be a separate NPC for this improvement.

Note 3: Depending on the Act you're currently in, some orbs in this window would not be available to purchase.

Of course there exists complex(ish) game code to base an orb's price by Supply & Demand, for example, like Guild Wars 1 (if I may make the comparison,) but that seems to be beyond the scope of GGG's coding capabilities since it doesn't exist in PoE.

That being said...

Supply & Demand Algorithm Code - Example (for the developers)
The idea is to take the base price of an Orb and adjust it by a multiplier determined by the need and availability of an Orb, per se, the more there is of an Orb, the lower the cost, and the less there is of an Orb, the higher the cost in which it can range from x% to x% of the base cost of an Orb.

This may not be the smoothest working example to work with any population and basePrice size, but this is just an example.

Note: The basePrice is multiplied by a factor between 0.25 and 2, a function of supply/demand, which is a function of only 1 variable and makes it easy to manipulate what behavior you want, then implement it in code.

float amount = Orbs[_index].amount;
float minMulti = 0.25;
float maxMulti = 2;
float multi = 1;
float basePrice = 10;

float demand = static_cast<float>(population) * 0.10f;

if (amount < demand)
{
multi = maxMulti;
}
else
{
multi = amount / demand;
}

if (multi < minMulti)
multi = minMulti;
if (multi > maxMulti)
multi = maxMulti;

return static_cast<int>(basePrice * multi);

OR, the algorithm can be made where in the beginning of a new league with a new economy, the price of orbs are higher by x%, and as time goes on (the game calculates the time,) the price of orbs gets lower (back to their typical values as shown in the above image.)

However, the price of orbs can become higher again even after 1-2 months into a new league with a new economy in which it's based off player deaths, and since there would be a lack of currency farmers, demand will go up x%. The number of player deaths, of course, would have to be significant enough to effect the price(s) of orbs. For example, if the game code calculates so many players dying per day or week, throughout the day or the following week will have the updated orb prices.

Not only player deaths, but player inactivity can also be thrown into the algorithm, that which manipulates the price of currency.

IF this happens to where the NPC's orb prices are higher than the prices players are selling orbs at, players will not buy orbs for the price the NPC is selling.

For example, if a trader wants 4 Alteration Orbs just for you to obtain 1 Jeweller's Orb, players are not going to buy it at that price in which they'll look to other players who will sell orbs cheaper than the NPC. In other words, players are competing against the NPC's prices, not the NPC competing against player prices.

In conclusion, you can make numbers say and do anything you want through code in which there's numerous ways to have Orb prices interact with the behavior of players.

P.S. For many months I have brainstormed to my wits ends, and I really hope to see something happen in at least 6 months from now regarding orb currency price checking to make trading between players much easier. The NPC will then act as a base for price checking orbs.

Please support so we may see this in PoE! Thank you.
HeavyMetalGear
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Apr 10, 2014, 10:15:16 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
bump
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
bump
(me)
I like the idea +1
you may find this suggestion useful

Bartering System needs some LOVE!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/877787

where with addition of exchange NPC to game, all currencies are sold/purchased by a new currency (para) and players trade with this para instead of dozens of currencies...

and with this system in place, we can add a nice auction house to the game (similar to diablo AH which is closed)...
Last edited by HainKurt on Apr 6, 2014, 8:32:30 PM
"
HainKurt wrote:
you may find this suggestion useful

Bartering System needs some LOVE!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/877787

where with addition of exchange NPC to game, all currencies are sold/purchased by a new currency (para) and players trade with this para instead of dozens of currencies...

and with this system in place, we can add a nice auction house to the game (similar to diablo AH which is closed)...

If GGG wanted an AH (they do not,) they would have added it long ago and be done with it.

I guess you haven't noticed the amount of reviews that went up for Diablo III - Reaper of Souls (RoS) when they took the AH out.

Stop and think to yourself why that is, and perhaps you'll figure out why your idea to an alternative trade system, more than not, is frowned upon by many players.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Apr 7, 2014, 10:03:06 PM
"
For many months I have brainstormed to my wits ends, and I really hope to see something happen in at least 6 months from now regarding orb currency price checking to make trading between players much easier. The NPC will then act as a base for price checking orbs.

I personally think it is time well spent, whilst it might not be this exact implementation it definitely needs to be done, I have a friend who spent 1.33 chaos on a skill gem because he had no fusings and the guy told him the exchange rate was 1c to 0.5 fusings, whilst the value of an item is what you trade it for, this is definitely a rip off, they at least need an in game or introductory section on the website which lists the relative rarities of each currency, so that people go into the game at least a little aware of what everything is worth.

I don't overly agree with increasing the npc prices, as these prices prevent the inflation of currency, if you put the price up to 4 alts to 1 jeweller, the value of alts would halve, players would trade above that and over time the npcs will be in the same position as they are now, just that alts are less valuable, to which you cant respond by putting alts up again. There would eventually reach an equilibrium where alts finish depreciating but without knowing the exact relative drop rates its nearly impossible to tell where that equilibrium lies.

+1 for this idea and the effort that has gone into it.
IGN: SirAwesomealot
League: Warbands
Last edited by Tomanomanous on Apr 10, 2014, 9:40:54 PM
"
Tomanomanous wrote:
"
For many months I have brainstormed to my wits ends, and I really hope to see something happen in at least 6 months from now regarding orb currency price checking to make trading between players much easier. The NPC will then act as a base for price checking orbs.

I personally think it is time well spent, whilst it might not be this exact implementation it definitely needs to be done, I have a friend who spent 1.33 chaos on a skill gem because he had no fusings and the guy told him the exchange rate was 1c to 0.5 fusings, whilst the value of an item is what you trade it for, this is definitely a rip off, they at least need an in game or introductory section on the website which lists the relative rarities of each currency, so that people go into the game at least a little aware of what everything is worth.

I don't overly agree with increasing the npc prices, as these prices prevent the inflation of currency, if you put the price up to 4 alts to 1 jeweller, the value of alts would halve, players would trade above that and over time the npcs will be in the same position as they are now, just that alts are less valuable, to which you cant respond by putting alts up again. There would eventually reach an equilibrium where alts finish depreciating but without knowing the exact relative drop rates its nearly impossible to tell where that equilibrium lies.

+1 for this idea and the effort that has gone into it.

Ok then, as a second opinion, what would you like to see happen out of these three things?

1. All Orb prices from the NPC should be 100% higher than currently illustrated in the Vendor's Crafting Materials / Orb Currency Tab spoiler to act as a base price for players to barter with other players more flexibly.

2. Have GGG make a game code algorithm that periodically changes orb prices based on Supply & Demand.

or

3. Leave the prices as they are as illustrated in the Vendor's Crafting Materials / Orb Currency Tab spoiler

If you pick one (with good reasoning behind your choice,) I may consider updating my OP.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Apr 10, 2014, 10:15:26 PM
The second would be a really cool feature but defeat the purpose (I may be wrong so don't quote it) of the currency trades in the vendors. The vendor trades are supposed to be a barrier for prices as well as a general guide to value trading from low currency to high currency, however the reverse trades (high value to low value) are not a great deal, encouraging people to seek better deals with other players, creating an upper and lower value barrier.

If the prices were dynamic then the value of the currency would be entirely up to the market, which would lead to much more confusing trade rates then the current semi-Keynesian model where GGG has control over the upper and lower limits of the currency. A dynamic player trading values sheet on the other hand, but without the dynamic npc trades, would be extremely useful.

For that reason I would leave the npc pricing alone, a price checking system (especially dynamic) on the other hand, that has some form of aggregate value for each currency relative to another, I would definitely go for.

It's no reason to change your suggestion, it is fine as is, I am a fan, however I doubt GGG will change it entirely that way, but there is no doubt that it definitely can be improved.

EDIT:
Whilst I agree with the over-all concepts here, they are extremely well thought through, I think that the npc prices are needed as they are. The price checking system on the other hand, as a list you can pull up in game is an invaluable asset that GGG would be crazy to ignore.

However pretty much all I said is redundant (other than support for the idea) if GGG did not intend the economic model that is currently in place in relation to npc trades.
Last edited by Tomanomanous on Apr 11, 2014, 1:17:28 AM
I should also add that I really like the tab you made in The Vendor's Crafting Materials / Orb Currency Tab (Window 2), I think that is what we need, without the ability to perform the currency trade.

An alternative might be two drop down boxes which shows the current rate between the two currencies you chose.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info