Cast on Crit Quill Rain Scion

Video of the build in action with explanation and addressing common questions
http://youtu.be/m9TylXY3Sp4

The first video, from when I first began leveling the character
http://youtu.be/BwLwQSBbhdY

Bandits : Oak > Skill > Alira

UPDATED FOR INVASION / AMBUSH
Build at level 90 for a SHADOW (not Scion any more)
310% HP + ondars and phase acro. GG
http://poeurl.com/yJDQBeY

This is the Skill tree as of 83
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAA5YEfgW1BdMOSBGWE54V8BmiGtsc3CP2JDwk_SaVJ6kwcTB8MZ41kjnUOkI6WDrhOyg-z0ZxSVFKfUrIS3hMMk3jUUdVS1b6WkhabVv0XfJgQ2KsY0NnoG49bqpv8nBScNV-M38rf8aC5IMJhxmHdojxiq-MNo19jb-QEZMnnaOdqqCfpJGmV6dcqn-quKxZtAy0xbXyvea-vMBRwuzGotQj1QDWitad3FfdqOOE5AjnVOdj6xTuDu_w8kXy4fPq-WP8q_zF_gr-jw==

Required Items
5-6L Quill Rain - Pew Pew
5-6L Voll's Protector - Required to maintain charges and cold snaps
Theif's Torment Ring - REQUIRED to sustain mana and HP

My gear at the moment
(thread got bugged, can't show items)
You need accuracy, HP, and resists to be maxed for this build. Grab crit + spell damage if possible from Amulet / Quiver.
IGN : ColbyCheeZe
Twitch.tv/ColbyCheeZe
Last edited by ColbyCheeZe on Mar 24, 2014, 8:55:55 PM
Just checked ur video about this build and must say it seems like a very fun build.

Thx for sharing it!

Had a question about an alternative (ranger) quill rain build though. Still playing with first char (so have some exalted to spend, but also lots of things to learn), but do keep in mind that 6L probably won't be possible within my budget (round 15-20 ex or so).

So my idea was to use some aspects from ur build, but add a couple of new things to it. Also, it might be very useful to note that I'm playing on standard league (I'm not going full dps, but u will see a small decrease in life).

What I want to add to ur build is frenzy charges and some spell damage. It seems to me the only downside to this is -30% life from nodes. So here's the build I made (its a 102 points build for now, but guess removing 1 health node is not going to kill me):

Ranger quill rain build
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAbwEfgW1DPIOSBGWE54VIBXwGtsj9iT9JpUqTSycLOktHzBxMHwxnjWSNj051DpCOlg64T1fPs8_J0SrSshLeEyzTeNQMFFHUlNVS1WuWkhd8mKsY0NsFm0Zbqpv8nBScNV-M38rf8aC5IPbhxmIa4jxiq-MNo19jb-PppARm42do52qoJ-io6SRpcumV6p_qrisWa-ntfK95sBRwfPGos5xzqjUI9UA1orWndte3ajjhOdU52PuDu967_DyRfPq9qP5Y_xL_Kv-Cv6P

Gear will be practically the same. Voll's for keeping power charges up, thief's for mana/hp return etc. Skills would be a bit different though. Rather than going for barrage/LA, I would go for frenzy. This would give the following combinations:

Gem links
Single Target
Frenzy-GMP-CoC-Fireball-Arctic Breach
AoE
Frenzy-GMP-CoC-Arc-Fireball

Now, what makes this build different. Well, next to having no chain (don't know if this is going to be a huge issue), u will basically run around with 5-6 frenzy charges all the time (depending on bandit quests). So before I get into the 'theorycrafting' questions, I'll break the build down to make the changes visible (please keep in mind that base health etc are based on a lvl 80 character):

Health
2602 life - compared to 2938 in ur build
551 evasion rating - compared to 495

Elemental damage
+20% lightning damage in both builds
+20 % elemental damage with spells - compared to 0 in ur build

Accuracy
464 base accuracy rating - compared to 340 in ur build
no +% accuracy rating - compared to +36% in ur build

Evasion
53 Evasion rating - compared to 73 in ur build
+65% evasion rating - compared to 34% in ur build
both builds have +4% evasion rating per frenzy charge (will make more use of it when frenzy charges all up all the time though)

Life
139 base maximum life - compared to 129
+234% maximum life - compared to 282%

Spell
24% increased spell dmg - compared to 0 (or compared to 18% if u indeed switched the att speed nodes for spell damage)
0% Base cast speed increase - compared to 6%

Attack Speed
12% attack speed - compared to 25 % in ur build (keep in mind however that this will improve tremendously with 5 frenzy charges)

Offense
Base skill of are effect +12% - compared to 0 % (may be useful with fireball etc)
Area damage +12% - compared to 0%

Charges
5 frenzy charges max - compared to 4 in ur build
5 power charges max - compared to 4 in ur build

Keystones

No conduit in my build (agree, very helpful for teammembers, but yeah.. ehmm.. well.. that's all :p)

Next to that, every other possible stats which aren't noted (crit chance/res/etc etc) are the same as in ur build.

So the idea behing this build is that with a (little) decrease in hp, u can have a tremendous boost in dps. I understand hp is an important factor in PoE, but I do feel that it shouldn't be a big problem in standard league.

So, since I'm fairly new to PoE, I'm looking for some specific advice (questions incoming), but also an overall advice (obviously might be the case I overlooked some important factors).

So my questions for this build are:

- is it viable to run this build with 5links (more specifically, will 72+ maps be doable in ur opinion, based on dmg output)

- Is it viable to run this build with 5links (more specifically, since I don't have room for a LoH-gem, will it keep me alive with the LoH from thief's alone?)

- Will the increased attack rate have any effect on mana sustainability?

- Are the aoe links 'good enough' to keep shock stacks up?

- Would u prefer arctic breach over fireball in AoE dmg, and why?

Finally, any comments on the overal build, or things I might have overlooked, are welcome (in case u see points that could be spend more efficiently).

Thanks again for sharing ur build and if u need anything for providing a better answer (assuming u have the time to answer), please feel free to say so. Even if u have a request regarding the format of this post, that can be easily changed! :)

Thx in advance!

Edit: Forgot a very generic question. Looked it up in multiple threads, but ppl seem to have many different opinions about it. In ur experience, would it be worth it to try and 5link a quill rain/voll or just buy 1 for 3-5 ex?

Also saw u changed from running 2 aura's (in ur original vid) to 1 aura. Is there a specific reason for this (i.e., mana was not sustainable??
Last edited by Deeno89 on Feb 27, 2014, 10:24:45 AM
Update your topic for god sake!!!!!!!!
Please update your build Colby!
Yes Man please update post with gear and stuff.
TYVM
Build looks really nice. Please update though. Looking forward to playing this set up...
trying out the quill rain build, need more info! gems, gear !
IGN @TiznaraN
Really needs an update on this.. No gear nor gem
this looks like a lot of fun! please update =)
This build is really fun to play!
Last edited by trapnaRrr on Apr 1, 2014, 9:37:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info