[2.0] SAM's 48K RoA/Split Arrow + Puncture/Evasion + Herald of Ash

"
bolcsesz wrote:
Hey, thanks for the guide. I am fairly new, started my second character based more or less on this guide. Some things i couldnt figure though(i am sure they are explained somwhere, but still):

- Why is rain of arrows better than split arrow? I have tried both, and split arrow works very well for the moment, while roa annoys me. Most likely ill stick with split arrow, just wondering why so many people use roa instead.

- Why is frenzy a primary skill? I get maximum frenzy charges with blood range in no time, than use puncture or other skills. If i use frenzy are the charges more powerful(the skillgem says higher values on it, maybe blood rage gives level 1 charges)?

- If i am using split arrow, what support gems should i link for fastest clearing?

- If i take point blank, will my arrows do less damage at the end of their course, than without point blank?

- Is there any point of using multiple auras untill my gear catches up? For example Hatred - Haste - Elemental purity or whatever.

- Isnt there a skill like "strafe" from diablo 2?

I have a lvl62 marauder, who has a lot bigger dps than this ranger, but somehow i am still cleaning up rooms a lot faster, and die less ^^

Thanks a lot

Hi! Lots of questions so lets break it down.

1) Rain of Arrows is "better" in the sense you can choose where your projectiles land. YOu have full control of every projectile you attack with which is impossible with Split Arrow. I like control so I went the path of RoA. Also I was thoroughly bored with SA being the SA spec for a couple of months :P

2) Frenzy hits fairly hard. In fact it's one of the most hard hitting single target bow skills in the game. Puncture is good if you plan to kite, as bleed does almost no damage if standing still. The initial hit has to be a crit to see the benefits of Puncture as Bleed is calculated as a % of the hit. Frenzy charges do not change their effect, but the Frenzy attack from the gem gets more powerful with level and quality.

3) I wouldn't go Haste as it's a pretty lacklustre aura. Hatred is great as it adds a ton of damage. If you have enough Life to go Blood Magic on your attacks, then by all means go double aura on Mana :D

4) The most similar attack to "strafe" from D2 is possibly Barrage. It doesn't do great damage though, and mostly used in CoC builds to proc other skills.

Have fun with the Ranger and the game!
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
It is interesting I am currently playing this build with some slight modifications (3Auras) and SA/Chain, because I was bored by RoA. SA/Chain feels more "ranged" and the build works perfectly with it (except that you should spec out of point blank).

Now I can switch between SA, LA and RoA easily if I want some variety.

Update on Phase Acrobatics (and the 4 passive nodes before it): I tested with and without them and can confirm Sam's statement, they are worth it.
IGN: MyrcellaMartell
Thanks!

I am doing something similar to Dongod than i guess, so i shouldnt put points into point blank? I very rarely facetank anything anyway, mobs kill me as fast as fast i kill them ^^ especially casters i cant dodge, like the arcmages.
"
DonGod wrote:
It is interesting I am currently playing this build with some slight modifications (3Auras) and SA/Chain, because I was bored by RoA. SA/Chain feels more "ranged" and the build works perfectly with it (except that you should spec out of point blank).

Now I can switch between SA, LA and RoA easily if I want some variety.

Update on Phase Acrobatics (and the 4 passive nodes before it): I tested with and without them and can confirm Sam's statement, they are worth it.

Definitely. SA uses the same link colours as a RoA setup and easily interchangeable with minimal use of Regrets. SA + Chain + Faster Attacks + Blood Magic + Life Leech/Life on Hit + Crit Multi.

"
bolcsesz wrote:
Thanks!

I am doing something similar to Dongod than i guess, so i shouldnt put points into point blank? I very rarely facetank anything anyway, mobs kill me as fast as fast i kill them ^^ especially casters i cant dodge, like the arcmages.

Point Blank is worthless for SA as you will never be in near enough range to benefit from it. SA definitely is the "rangier" (as in distance, range) of the two. I've just grown bored of LA and SA as I played these 2 specs extensively about a year ago before taking a PoE break.

This build was meant to face tank and to play fairly aggressively, and I do like the control RoA gives me in that regard. RoA hitting for the same damage regardless of the amount of mobs also helps when you have only a couple of mobs left to kill, and giving you full benefit with Life Leech.
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
I really don't understand how you can have numbers so high. I have the exact same tree with the exception of a few non-damage nodes, and my Frenzy barely reaches 28K (and that's without life leech, just for testing purposes). And on top of that, I'm running Wrath and Hatred!

Can you post some screenshots of your 6-charged skills? I'd also be interested in seeing Lightning Arrow/Chain/LMP if you have those leveled, just for curiosity's sake, and since that's my build. With all 20/20 (Blood Magic, Faster Attacks, Life Leech, Chain, LMP), LA at 21/20, a Lioneye's, and 7 Frenzy charges, I get 2673.3 on my LA.

Your build seems great, I just can't understand how you achieve those insane numbers without any auras.
Last edited by Lord_Kamster on Apr 24, 2014, 7:42:09 PM
"
Lord_Kamster wrote:
I really don't understand how you can have numbers so high. I have the exact same tree with the exception of a few non-damage nodes, and my Frenzy barely reaches 28K (and that's without life leech, just for testing purposes). And on top of that, I'm running Wrath and Hatred!

Can you post some screenshots of your 6-charged skills? I'd also be interested in seeing Lightning Arrow/Chain/LMP if you have those leveled, just for curiosity's sake, and since that's my build. With all 20/20 (Blood Magic, Faster Attacks, Life Leech, Chain, LMP), LA at 21/20, a Lioneye's, and 7 Frenzy charges, I get 2673.3 on my LA.

Your build seems great, I just can't understand how you achieve those insane numbers without any auras.

Those numbers are definitely with 6 Frenzy charges and Auras, that would be pretty obvious no? Hahaha. The numbers at the bottom of my post is with self buffs (Hatred, Grace, 6 Frenzy Charges).

I don't have access to the game right now as I'm overseas, but I'll get some screenshots going. Maybe I'll remote back to my desktop and do the screenshots there :D
My Store! /108685
"
linkstatic wrote:
Those numbers are definitely with 6 Frenzy charges and Auras, that would be pretty obvious no? Hahaha. The numbers at the bottom of my post is with self buffs (Hatred, Grace, 6 Frenzy Charges).

I don't have access to the game right now as I'm overseas, but I'll get some screenshots going. Maybe I'll remote back to my desktop and do the screenshots there :D

Yeah, I know those numbers are with Hatred and 6 Frenzy charges... but it just seems insanely high still!

Thanks for the screenshots if you get them going. It'll also make your post look a lot more impressive. ;)
Edit: Never mind. I misunderstood the question.
Last edited by feyith on Apr 25, 2014, 11:19:05 PM
"
Lord_Kamster wrote:
"
linkstatic wrote:

Yeah, I know those numbers are with Hatred and 6 Frenzy charges... but it just seems insanely high still!

Thanks for the screenshots if you get them going. It'll also make your post look a lot more impressive. ;)

Posted the screenshots below the part where my stats are on the first post :D Updated the numbers a little as well, I didn't update my stats when the Crit Multi nerf hit ^^
My Store! /108685
Hello, I am following this guide for my first ranger build in 'ambush', so far so good. A bit on the expensive side for me, but I'm managing, thanks to a Kaom's Heart I found and sold!

I've been using this quiver I found, but recently searched for an upgrade on poexyz for a replacement, but can't seem to find anything.

Thoughts? I normally PC on poexyz, but used global chat for a PC, and most people told me it was worthless... I know I need crit chance/multi.
Last edited by Nanology on Apr 29, 2014, 1:11:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info