Jugg's Exploding Daggers (Dom) - Melee CoC, High Avoidence [Gameplay Videos]

This thread is work in progress. In the mean time please drop your thoughts and ideas here. Constructive discussion only please. Flaming and stupidity will be reported immediately.

****Forethought****
Spoiler
When Desecrate was released I though "Hey this could be something fun to play around with". I made this as a "Let's see if I can make this work" build. I took an existing mid level evasion tank and started speccing for DW block and a little crit.
This is not an efficient clear speed build. You have the capabilities to solo but you will never win awards for fastest clear time. But, it gets the job done. If your looking for an OP uber clearing character then stop now and search somwhere else. If you looking for something different to do that also has the capability to be viable then read on.
I wanted to do something a little different and this is what came of my efforts.

Videos
Spoiler
Quick Video of Merc Kole starting from WP. The Kole fight is somewhat uninteresting since I need a metric ton of corpses to kill him. It is amusing watching him miss over and over and over though.
***idky I keep pandora playing during my videos. Currently waiting for the video to update with new soundtrack. If you can't view it yet you should be able to shortly.***
Kole's a Bitch

Gem Links
Spoiler
-Double Strike>CoC>Detonate Dead>Multi-Strike>Life Leech
-Desecrate>Trap>Multi-Trap>Red. Mana
-Smoke Mine>Increased Diration
-Grace>Purity of Elements>Red. Mana
-Clarity>BM>Red. Mana
-Level 1 CwDT>Level 5 Enfeeble (Cast when Stunned can also work fine here. It will likely proc more often than cwdt. b/c of low hp you will get stunned often when blocking)

Build mechanics
Spoiler
The idea is to get as many corpses out as possible. And while Blinding everything with smoke mine, use your MASSIVELY fast double strike to proc detonate dead from CoC. Use Whirling blades for general positioning and flicker strike to jump to specific mobs.

Passive tree
Spoiler

Current Passive Tree at level 69. Able to run 66-68 maps with slight issues (mostly due to low res)

Planned for level 81

Current level 69 stats
Spoiler
Yes my HP is extremely low. But with good positioning and proper skill placement the chances of 1 shot are extremely low.
Eva - 68%
Block - 73%
Dodge - 40%
Spell Block - 36%
Spell Dodge - 30%
HP - ~2200
Crit Chance - 44%

Essential gear
Spoiler

Double Ungil's for massive block. Stone of Laz for spell block. And as much Eva as you can possibly muster.
I know the Hyrri's is redundant but it's what I'm using for now until/if I find an extremely High evasion rare.
BoR would be absolutely amazing for this build. I just don't have the desire to trade all my currency for one.

Other Builds
The Frozen Dagger

My /oos macro program
Juggla's PoEoos
Check out my Frozen Dagger build in the Shadow forums!!
Last edited by Juggla1570 on Apr 16, 2014, 2:40:25 PM
Added a quick Kole video just for exposition purposes. Will add Map Videos as I progress. Currently able to run 66-68 maps. Fixed a little of the res issues so they are pretty ez now.
This looks like a pretty fun build! I've been running around as a Dual Ungil's Viper Strike/Smoke Mine Duelist and it is interesting to see how you got around the low damage output. (That 55% block chance sure is sweet though!)

If your Double Strike damage output is anything like Dual Strike for me (~400 Damage) it seems like Life Gain on Hit would be more useful than Life Leech since 8.8% of a small number will be lower than 44 flat HP. But I don't know your stats so I guess you could argue against me here. (I guess Detonate Dead probably benefits from LL more than LGoH.)

You're already so close to it that it seems like Ondar's Guile would be a good addition to the build so you can more or less ignore projectile attacks completely. There's also a trap damage wheel down there that could be useful.

Have you considered adding a Zombie Spell Totem? Since you're summoning corpses anyway maybe having a totem to use some of them for distraction support might be helpful. (And you can still detonate their corpses when the zombies die).

Your boots don't really stand out to me as a great use of the slot since the only meaningful bonus I can really see is the evasion rating. In my Duelist build I use Frenzy Charges and the Blood Dance to have better HP Regeneration for when they finally do break through my Evasion, Dodging, and Blocking.
Unlimited Blade Works - Illya (Animate Weapon Ranger)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1063521
"
darkmag07 wrote:
This looks like a pretty fun build! I've been running around as a Dual Ungil's Viper Strike/Smoke Mine Duelist and it is interesting to see how you got around the low damage output. (That 55% block chance sure is sweet though!)

I actually trade out the double strike for viper often. Running mobs are this build bane. But luckily a high level viper does decent dmg. Combine that with acceptable dmg from a high level desecrate and it's not to bead. Get 4 viper stacks-Let them run-when they stop throw trap on them-Wait and watch them die from dots.

"
If your Double Strike damage output is anything like Dual Strike for me (~400 Damage) it seems like Life Gain on Hit would be more useful than Life Leech since 8.8% of a small number will be lower than 44 flat HP. But I don't know your stats so I guess you could argue against me here. (I guess Detonate Dead probably benefits from LL more than LGoH.)

Yah I tried life on hit. With my double having a .18 attk speed I thought it would be crazy regen. But I've found the it doesn't even match the 20% cap from the life leech on courpse explo.

"
You're already so close to it that it seems like Ondar's Guile would be a good addition to the build so you can more or less ignore projectile attacks completely. There's also a trap damage wheel down there that could be useful.

Yah I'm trying to find a way to keep 70% eva and still hit Ondar's. It's going to be really tough come 80's. And while desecrate does acceptable dmg it's not worth invest that many points into the trap cluster. Though I'm heavily considering the 4 points to pick up the chaos dmg cluster right there.

"
Have you considered adding a Zombie Spell Totem? Since you're summoning corpses anyway maybe having a totem to use some of them for distraction support might be helpful. (And you can still detonate their corpses when the zombies die).

Yah I tried that. But I need all corpses from all traps immediately when facing high HP mobs. It works great for white packs. You also have to consider that there will be many times where your totem will res a high HP mobs corpse causing you to loose out on a ton of dmg.

Your boots don't really stand out to me as a great use of the slot since the only meaningful bonus I can really see is the evasion rating. In my Duelist build I use Frenzy Charges and the Blood Dance to have better HP Regeneration for when they finally do break through my Evasion, Dodging, and Blocking.[/quote]
I don't plan on using the sin treks for long. I'm considering combining

and Blood Dance. I just have a hard time giving up 250 Evasion rating on the boots. But at the same time for 4 points I can have 20% eva rating from Frenzy charges
"
Juggla1570 wrote:

Yah I'm trying to find a way to keep 70% eva and still hit Ondar's. It's going to be really tough come 80's. And while desecrate does acceptable dmg it's not worth invest that many points into the trap cluster.

I'm probably not at high enough content yet, since I only just beat Piety in Merciless, but I seem to do well enough with only 46% evasion. Obviously the higher your evasion is, the better off you are, but I don't know if you need yours to be at 70%.

I probably have enough other defenses that it isn't so problematic for me. I have the 4% Evasion Rating per Frenzy Charge node and I'm consistently running with 3-5 charges thanks to Blood Dance. (I also have Frenzy with some arbitrary links so I can manually keep them up if I so desire.)

I've also recently been using Mind Over Matter. I've got around 1700 life and 650 mana and it really helps tank some of those hits. I found it especially useful against the Burned Miscreations which were totally wrecking me before taking MoM. (They still hurt, but now I don't have to run away until 3 or 4 seconds have passed.)

"
Juggla1570 wrote:

Though I'm heavily considering the 4 points to pick up the chaos dmg cluster right there.

I forgot that Desecrate even dealt Chaos damage. Those chaos damage nodes (and DOT nodes) are awesome for Viper Strike too. They really helped me get through content when I was leveling up but things with chaos resistance are still a huge pain to deal with. Luckily for your build you've got another avenue of approach. If I had a 5-linked chest armour I might even give it a try myself to see if I could incorporate CoC and Desci-trap into my build. (...But one does not simply 5 link a chest armour.)

You make a good point about the zombies. I suppose a devouring totem presents the same problem. A skeleton totem could still be useful for distracting things.

Snakebite definitely looks interesting. I don't know how valuable it will be though, if it works like Adder's Touch and does 10% of the Attack's damage as Chaos Damage over 2 seconds then Ungil's low damage will be holding you back. (Any extra damage is better than no damage, but you might get better results from regular defensive gloves) I imagine you'll also want to incorporate frenzy on your build to keep up charges since Snakebite reduces the duration by 10% per charge.
Unlimited Blade Works - Illya (Animate Weapon Ranger)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1063521
"
darkmag07 wrote:
I'm probably not at high enough content yet, since I only just beat Piety in Merciless, but I seem to do well enough with only 46% evasion. Obviously the higher your evasion is, the better off you are, but I don't know if you need yours to be at 70%.

Oh most assuredly, you don't need 70%. The basic rule of thumb ussualy is around 50%. But I want 70%. I have always had the desire to make an all out Evasive character, basically boosting it as high as it can feasibly go. I feel I have found about where you go from feasible into impossible, for a solo character.
That was the purpose of this character when I started her. And after desecrate came out I felt I could push that envelope. Once again this was a 'just for fun' build that actually took off more than I thought it would.

"
Snakebite definitely looks interesting. I don't know how valuable it will be though, if it works like Adder's Touch and does 10% of the Attack's damage as Chaos Damage over 2 seconds then Ungil's low damage will be holding you back.

The purpose of of Snakebite would be for the accuracy buff. Since my crit chance will remain pretty low (below 50%) I need to be hitting as often as possible to proc CoC. A free 30% accuracy is hard to look past. And also to mitigate most of the drawbacks of Blood Dance. The poison mechanic would be negligible. And yes from what I understand it is Adder's Touch.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info