[1.1.0 BUILD] Low Life || 1-h Axe || Infernal Blow || Crit (130,000 DPS & 6,500 ES at level 75)

My buddy Kipad is finally finished crafting this beautiful 1-handed axe:

With 1-handed axe builds being so unpopular, I decided to make a build for it; the skill tree can be found here.

Passive Stat Attributes Acquired from this Skill Tree
+114 to Strength
+293 to Dexterity
+113 to Intelligence
+116.5 to maximum Mana
+119 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+4 Maximum Endurance Charge
+4 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+4 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
29% increased Attack Speed
11% increased Movement Speed
140% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
3% increased Cast Speed
144.6% increased Evasion Rating
96% increased maximum Energy Shield
255% increased Critical Strike Chance
120% increased Critical Strike Multiplier
30% increased Energy Shield Cooldown Recovery
+16% to all Elemental Resistances
15% increased Power Charge Duration
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Mana
5% reduced Mana Reserved
24% additional Chance to Block with Shields
26% increased effect of Auras you Cast
Life Leech applies to Energy Shield instead of Life
100% increased Defences from equipped Shield
4% increased Evasion Rating per Frenzy Charge
17% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
20% increased Melee Physical Damage
20% increased Accuracy Rating
Converts all Evasion Rating to Armour. Dexterity provides no bonus to Evasion Rating
154% increased Physical Damage with Axes
72% increased Accuracy Rating with Axes
9% increased Attack Speed with Axes
18% increased Endurance Charge Duration
Cannot Evade enemy Attacks
Cannot be Stunned
Life Leech applies instantly. Life Regeneration and Life Recovery from Flasks have no effect.
+22.6% Energy Shield
+22.8% increased Melee Physical Damage
+586 Accuracy Rating

Features of this Build
- Insane DPS from the stupid amount of attack speed with Low-life + Blood Rage [+ lvl 3 Enhance] in conjunction with the massive base DPS of axes. This is the highest DPS Infernal Blow build you can attain without sacrificing your shield.
- Half of your DPS will be in fire damage due to the nature of Infernal Blow, which makes this build very good in either physical or elemental reflect maps.
- 90%+ accuracy and very high critical chance. An important note is that the tooltip critical chance only applies to the single target of Infernal Blow. The critical chance of Infernal Blow's explosion is calculated separately (with respect to its 7% additional critical strike chance).
- Constantly keep up Endurance, Power, and Frenzy changes (from CWDT + Enduring Cry, Power Charge on Critical, and Blood Rage)
- Constantly leaching 100% of your ES back with every hit due to your massive deeps alongside Ghost Reaver and Vaal Pact. This synergizes well with iAS (therefore, using a Siege Axe is optimal and going low-life for the blood rage iAS passive is really recommended).
- With the correct gear, you should pass the 8K ES mark, which, when considered alongside your leech, makes for a very durable build.
- Can run three auras, which makes the build very adaptable. (See the different combinations below)

Offensive Stats

My Gear

Spending/Gearing Priorities
Obviously I made this build with perfect or near-perfect gear, but it is extremely functional with sub-optimal gear. Even if you cut the DPS in half, you still FAR outclass your typical facebreaker IB builds.

With my gear, I will have approximately 8K ES and 150K DPS end-game. With suboptimal gear, you will have approximately 6-6.5K ES and 60 - 75K DPS.

The reason this build works on less-than-perfect items is because most of the scaling comes from low-life + Blood Rage mechanics, main-skill gems, and crit chance/multi nodes.

Moreover, half the gear you need are uniques (The Taming is a fantastic substitute for the second ring because you scale a shit-ton from WED), which means you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for mirrored gear just to make the build viable (obviously it's nice to have, though :P)

Prioritize: 6L Shavs > Axe > Auxium > Shavronne's Revelation Shield > Helm > everything else (Shield > Helm because you take some nodes that give you increased stats from shields.)

Gems
Infernal Blow: Multistrike, Added Fire Damage, Melee Physical (or Melee Splash), Faster Attacks (or Additional Accuracy), and Increased Critical Damage (or Power Charge on Critical). You would need a RRRRGB Shavs, which is unfortunately 5 off-colors.

However, I understand that a 5 off-color shavs is not feasible for everyone. Here an alternative setup for a 4 off-color (RRRGBB):
Infernal Blow
Multistrike
Added Fire Damage (or Melee Physical)
Faster Attacks (or Additional Accuracy)
Added Critical Damage
Power Charge on Critical (or Increased Critical Strike)

I also have Flicker Strike linked with Additional Accuracy, Power Charge on Critical, and Endurance Charge on Melee Stun. This lets me build power and endurance charges extremely quickly. Some may find it annoying to use two skills, but I find the playstyle more active and less boring than spamming 1 skill. It's actually quite fluid too: Flicker Strike to 5 Power Charges, Reave, hit Flicker Strike hen 1 second left on Power Charges, Reave, etc.

For physical reflect maps, this setup is fine because IB converts 50% of your pDPS to fire damage. For elemental reflect, in order to prevent yourself from getting blown up by your own explosions, I swap Infernal Blow with Lightning Strike, Added Fire Damage for Life Leech, and Increased Critical Damage for Power Charge on Critical. You may be able to get away without doing the latter two swaps depending on how high your DPS and ES pool are.

Auras
Hatred, Wrath, Discipline - DPS set up
Hated, Purity of Elements, Discipline - Elemental Weakness Maps
Hatred, Grace, Discipline
Grace, Determination, Discipline - I Don't Die
Grace, Purity of Elements, Discipline - I Don't Die Version in Elemental Weakness Maps

I would appreciate any and all feedback!
IGN: BaiBhai | BhaiBhai | Bhailo

Last edited by Bhai on Mar 11, 2014, 1:22:24 AM
you're not gonna cap crit chance with axe.
Need PA if you're gonna go low life. Otherwise a solid tree
Standard IGN: WTFNamesAllTaken.
Online everyday at 10 AM CST and at several different hours throughout the day. Best way to reach me is via forum PM.
If you're looking for a deal, do your homework and make a decent offer. If I have to set a b/o via request, it will be non-negotiable.
Last edited by Bumblebutt on Feb 4, 2014, 11:09:53 PM
Yeah, haven't thought about if I wanted to go the CoE/PA route yet because I think it would be too squishy. Probably something I would at least try out though.

bump

^

axes have very low base crit so im not sure whether a crit build is efficient, but if you really want to you could try using infernal blow, the skill itself has a 7% crit chance.
gl
interested in seeing how it turns out either way :)
@GrimBandit
"
engineerN wrote:
axes have very low base crit so im not sure whether a crit build is efficient, but if you really want to you could try using infernal blow, the skill itself has a 7% crit chance.
gl
interested in seeing how it turns out either way :)

Yeah, I'm not quite sure about efficiency either.

I believe there is 2.28% base critical chance difference between a 1-handed axe and a Platinum Kris. Would the 7% critical chance on Infernal Blow be enough to offset the difference? I've always been slightly confused about how crit chance is calculated lol.

I appreciate the input, Grim! The idea is partly inspired by your crit reave build.

Last edited by Bhai on Feb 8, 2014, 9:54:33 PM
Is it really ok to plan for a 120 points build?

On the tree, I'd take Tetsudo, it's the biggest block node and you just pass by. If you don't feel like taking so many block, at least refund Deflection for Tetsudo once you're there. And Berserking is also very tempting (not sure if needed though, with blood rage). So here's a tweaked version. It's more tanky thanks to 12% more block, also I've removed some minor axe nodes (6/2, 6/8 and so on). You'll see during your progress if this accuracy is needed. Imho, it's unlikely you'll need that much as a dext based character, but a flicker striker certainly needs excellent chance to hit so ymmv. Consider also the Fencing and Aspect of the Panther nodes for dps. Both are better to take than minor axe nodes.
And finally, if you want more crit chance, there's 120% to take with Deadly Precision near Blood Magic. But it's a long way to go, not sure if it's worth the travel :/.

I agree with the infernal blow skill choice. I don't see any other skill with such a crit level. And cleave has low damage to begin with.

edit: after looking here and there, it looks like accuracy is really important for a flicker...
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Feb 9, 2014, 6:59:41 PM
"
Is it really ok to plan for a 120 points build?

On the tree, I'd take Tetsudo, it's the biggest block node and you just pass by. If you don't feel like taking so many block, at least refund Deflection for Tetsudo once you're there. And Berserking is also very tempting (not sure if needed though, with blood rage). So here's a tweaked version. It's more tanky thanks to 12% more block, also I've removed some minor axe nodes (6/2, 6/8 and so on). You'll see during your progress if this accuracy is needed. Imho, it's unlikely you'll need that much as a dext based character, but a flicker striker certainly needs excellent chance to hit so ymmv. Consider also the Fencing and Aspect of the Panther nodes for dps. Both are better to take than minor axe nodes.
And finally, if you want more crit chance, there's 120% to take with Deadly Precision near Blood Magic. But it's a long way to go, not sure if it's worth the travel :/.

I agree with the infernal blow skill choice. I don't see any other skill with such a crit level. And cleave has low damage to begin with.

Oh, I usually just make a 120 pt build just for the hell of it. I would just get the miscellaneous damage nodes last so the build would be viable much earlier than a 100.

Thank you so much for the input! It was very specific, which made it 10 times more helpful :)

I think a lot of the later skill point distribution I am going to have to make the build first. If I'm doing too much damage and keep one-shotting myself on phys reflect maps (or am getting one-shotted by bosses), I am definitely dropping a bunch of damage nodes in favor of ES/evasion/block nodes. If I'm already over 90% accuracy, I'm probably going to drop a couple of the accuracy nodes since there are massively diminishing returns after the 90% mark. I'll definitely pick up more crit nodes if I feel like my crit chance is too low (I wish there was a way I could calculate this without building the character lol).

Looks like infernal blow is a no-brainer - I honestly had no idea about its intrinsic crit chance. However, I did read that the 7% crit chance applies to the explosions rather than the initial hit (and that this explosion crit chance is only affected by global crit nodes whereas local crit chance stuff would only affect that initial strike).

Last edited by Bhai on Feb 9, 2014, 9:15:13 PM
Update:

Changed the skill tree a bit.

Also, I tried out Kipad's axe on a level 75 shadow and had an 80K DPS Infernal Blow with 92% accuracy and 44% critical chance (for single target - probably would be about 50% for explosion crit).

I think it would approach something like 100K DPS Infernal Blow, 50% Critical Strike Chance, and 8K ES end-game. Not bad!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info