[1.2] THE KNOCKBACK REAVER (CASCADING REAVE STACKS WITH KNOCKBACK)

This is an intriguing build, I've never been a fan of reave but this could well and truly change my mind on the skill.
"
This is an intriguing build, I've never been a fan of reave but this could well and truly change my mind on the skill.

thanks! much obliged
🎈🤡LEGACY MINER & TRAPPER MIRROR SERVICE: 1713980🤡🎈
🎈🤡ETERNAL SUPPORTER UNIQUE: KAOM'S SPIRIT🎈Designer: IronVsWild🤡🎈
🎈🤡ETERNAL SUPPORTER SINCE APRIL 2012🤡🎈
🎈🤡IGN: CLOWNPOWDER & CLOWNLIVESMATTER🤡🎈
What's your gear and how are you able to achieve 10 APS? This build is inspiring to make a Reave build, not yours in particular, but using Reave nonetheless, maybe Carcass, with some knockback via the nodes near the bottom left of the tree to save a gem slot for more dmg. Only thing I need to know is how to achieve 9+ APS, with a 30% chance to crit at least using Swords (Rapiers), without using any charges if that's even possible since I'll be life based so blood rage would be tedious.

Thnx in advance, and awesome build you've made! ^^
-[2.0] Tokyo's CoC Hybrid Damage Frostblader ---> view-thread/1401907
-[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker) ---> view-thread/1368690
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
Last edited by TokyoToho on Feb 23, 2014, 8:15:20 PM
"
Fangs wrote:
What's your gear and how are you able to achieve 10 APS? This build is inspiring to make a Reave build, not yours in particular, but using Reave nonetheless, maybe Carcass, with some knockback via the nodes near the bottom left of the tree to save a gem slot for more dmg. Only thing I need to know is how to achieve 9+ APS, with a 30% chance to crit at least using Swords (Rapiers), without using any charges if that's even possible since I'll be life based so blood rage would be tedious.

I have attack speed on gloves (16%) + left ring (7%) + right ring (7%).
I am using ventor's corsair sword (which is at 2.08 attacks per second).

Without multistrike, i'm around 5 APS. I have also tried sacrificing crit, and going max APS. I reached almost 15 APS unbuffed (without haste or frenzy charges).
But you know what the problem with that APS build is? Tempest Shield. Anyone using Tempest Shield or The Anvil will help you kill yourself in pvp with that kinda aps.

You have to spec into as much attack speed nodes on the tree as possible. Use the passive tree i provided as reference.

The knockback nodes on the tree are NOT worth it. It's only 15% chance, which is not consistent enough. I've tried going knockback gem AND passive tree knockback, and it's pretty obvious that you need the knockback gem period.
If you are not near the bottom left area, 100% not worth getting the knockback node.
Last edited by Castablanca on Feb 23, 2014, 8:26:16 PM
"
Castablanca wrote:
"
Fangs wrote:

I have attack speed on gloves (16%) + left ring (7%) + right ring (7%).
I am using ventor's corsair sword (which is at 2.08 attacks per second).

Without multistrike, i'm around 5 APS. I have also tried sacrificing crit, and going max APS. I reached almost 15 APS unbuffed (without haste or frenzy charges).
But you know what the problem with that APS build is? Tempest Shield. Anyone using Tempest Shield or The Anvil will help you kill yourself in pvp with that kinda aps.

You have to spec into as much attack speed nodes on the tree as possible. Use the passive tree i provided as reference.

The knockback nodes on the tree are NOT worth it. It's only 15% chance, which is not consistent enough. I've tried going knockback gem AND passive tree knockback, and it's pretty obvious that you need the knockback gem period.
If you are not near the bottom left area, 100% not worth getting the knockback node.

Well, here's my current tree: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAOyhKyG6qtfKpbmxGcmwyCTWS_o9N46ZXOuHyRf4K52OI8axZA5ZuPWBDgwlGcbQMkycc3H_GJ6labSQ8p1xJURGWDkidqmKs1p2iow_E3Mc7fFqmuMrjhMBRcNVwUvPq3FcelKw_fllBqvGKJ09EgRiw3CM_mxRxpzAUIFBHvrynNPe-9MZFCjXWMZ6do_yrAecE5P-wddA26K-iEPAX3AaiOnF4DViv0DkX2F76hylqP1O4hVWJ0yoLhQ40IAH_Fr-H26Z_7UGxs7VIIiYXPvjrKCqZVw==

So the knockback isn't worth it? Wouldn't high APS make up for the low chance of the knockback? Or should I just scrap the knockback and go for damage, then plug in the gem? (though I won't get as big a boost as say Added Fire damage)

So how is ias calculated? Say I get 90% from tree/gear, + multistrike + faster attacks, what would my total be? Dual wielding shouldn't effect APS right? I plan to go sword+shield.

And is Scion a good starting point for this or should I swap to Duelist? Scion allows me to cover areas quicker, and have balance stats (str/int/dex) but I probably lose out on damage.
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
attack speed scales off of your base weapon attack speed.
So, try to get your sword to have a minimum of 2.00 APS.

You are correct, dual wield doesn't offer much attack speed, however, the 10% aps is additive (so it's a much larger boost than simply getting 10% from the tree).

Even when I was at maximum APS (almost 15 attacks per second), I STILL felt that the knockback gem (50%+ knockback chance) was required. 15% is simply not enough.
Now, I'm mostly talking about PVP.
In PVP, everyone blocks. As such, you will be having sword penetration giving you a 55% reduced block of 75% block = the enemy will be blocking approximately 28% of the time. That means you will not be hitting more than 70% of the time.
That doesn't even take into account accuracy.

Therefore, only 6-to-7 out of 10 attacks will land.
So, with 10 attacks per second, you will only be landing 6 or 7 hits.
And if you only have 15% knockback chance, you see where the math is going...

In order for the 15% knockback passive to be enough, you need at least 20 APS AND resolute technique to be effectively proc'ing knockback in pvp.

Now, PVE is a different story.
I think the 15% knockback might be enough in PVE, without the gem.
Last edited by Castablanca on Feb 23, 2014, 9:34:59 PM
"
Castablanca wrote:
attack speed scales off of your base weapon attack speed.
So, try to get your sword to have a minimum of 2.00 APS.

You are correct, dual wield doesn't offer much attack speed, however, the 10% aps is additive (so it's a much larger boost than simply getting 10% from the tree).

Even when I was at maximum APS (almost 15 attacks per second), I STILL felt that the knockback gem (50%+ knockback chance) was required. 15% is simply not enough.
Now, I'm mostly talking about PVP.
In PVP, everyone blocks. As such, you will be having sword penetration giving you a 55% reduced block of 75% block = the enemy will be blocking approximately 28% of the time. That means you will not be hitting more than 70% of the time.
That doesn't even take into account accuracy.

Therefore, only 6-to-7 out of 10 attacks will land.
So, with 10 attacks per second, you will only be landing 6 or 7 hits.
And if you only have 15% knockback chance, you see where the math is going...

In order for the 15% knockback passive to be enough, you need at least 20 APS AND resolute technique to be effectively proc'ing knockback in pvp.

Now, PVE is a different story.
I think the 15% knockback might be enough in PVE, without the gem.

Yah I should mention I'm building for PvE, don't have much interest in PVP. I don't have a char that can do 72+ maps smoothly so was hoping a build like this could accomplish that. The Carcass max AOE was the thing that inspired me to plan a Reave build, that stuff looks awesome. I'll guess I'll go with knockback gem for more stable knock backs instead of hiccups here and there. But looking at your link setup, how were you able to get 10 APS without faster attacks? Was it because of duel wielding?

Also, what's the damage without melee on full life, replaced with faster attacks since I'll have to use that to get 9+ APS since I won't be dual wielding.

Hopefully the new skill tree via 1.1 buffs the build, or more ways to build around it too.
You can easily reach 10 APS using multistrike.
As you saw in my previous reply, i don't have that much attack speed from gear.
Only 3 pieces provide attack speed (16 + 7 + 7).
My sword has a 2.08 APS base which isn't even the highest.

Carcass Jack max AOE is definitely amazing.

You could even try Carcass Jack with Rime Gaze.

(and use 2 reave gems)

Reave #1:
The rime gaze 4 link reave would be for dedicated crowd control:
Rime gaze (increased AOE) + Reave + Faster Attacks + Multistrike + Knockback
(you will surpass 10 APS with this combo).

Reave #2:
And your second reave will be for dps:
Reave + Concentrated effect + Multistrike + Melee Phys + Melee Full + Crit damage.
"
Castablanca wrote:
You can easily reach 10 APS using multistrike.
As you saw in my previous reply, i don't have that much attack speed from gear.
Only 3 pieces provide attack speed (16 + 7 + 7).
My sword has a 2.08 APS base which isn't even the highest.

Carcass Jack max AOE is definitely amazing.

You could even try Carcass Jack with Rime Gaze.

(and use 2 reave gems)

Reave #1:
The rime gaze 4 link reave would be for dedicated crowd control:
Rime gaze (increased AOE) + Reave + Faster Attacks + Multistrike + Knockback
(you will surpass 10 APS with this combo).

Reave #2:
And your second reave will be for dps:
Reave + Concentrated effect + Multistrike + Melee Phys + Melee Full + Crit damage.

Rime Gaze is Concentrated effect, not increased AOE ;) But thanks for the pointers, we'll see how it goes once new leagues start :)
i stand corrected :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info