Are mods being overly strict now?

"
iamstryker wrote:
"

"retarded" as a synonym for "stupid" or "dumb" isn't a swear word, it's arguably worse: it's denigration by association.

Uh, so I guess we should moderate stupid and dumb now?

Are either word used to legally and appropriately describe human beings who cannot help what they are?

Didn't. Think. So.
"You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." -- Raylan Givens, "Justified"

On indefinite forum hiatus. Feel free to play with yourselves.
Words tend to have more than one meaning which is why context is important.

Tilt
My youngest son is autistic and I used to take offense. I don't like the word or use it myself but I don't get bent out of shape if someone else uses it. Chances are that they haven't had much contact with a mentally retarded person.
I'm willing to bet that the first person to coin the phrase "The pen is mightier than the sword" never stood toe to toe with a savage wielding a machete.

"
Hardlicker wrote:
My youngest son is autistic and I used to take offense. I don't like the word or use it myself but I don't get bent out of shape if someone else uses it. Chances are that they haven't had much contact with a mentally retarded person.

Same re: not taking offence anymore (not the son situation). But I still think like a moderator (which is like thinking like a writer, but having some vague idea of your readers' sensibilities), and thus try to be wary of certain words that can be taken in certain ways.

As I used to say, we didn't moderate for those with the thickest skin, but those with the thinnest.
"You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." -- Raylan Givens, "Justified"

On indefinite forum hiatus. Feel free to play with yourselves.
Last edited by CharanJaydemyr on January 24, 2014 1:53 AM
"

As I used to say, we didn't moderate for those with the thickest skin, but those with the thinnest.

A thin skin man can grow a thick skin.
Give a man of thin skin a protection and you ensure his safety from one attack, give him a thick skin and you ensure his safety for a lifetime.

I understand "retard" can be offensive though.
It's just not extreme.
http://wideo.co/view/449781379368063514-inexs-journey-for-the-8-stars (Music: Odd Look)
I am the guy behind price check forums yay: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/387787 (i think.)
"Seriously, its a loot game, make the loot DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers"_TugBot_
There's a difference between "this word makes some people uncomfortable" and "this is hate speech"

I know more than a few people who hear the word "moist" and feel like they're being sexually harassed. No idea why. Apparently feeling that "moist" is a nasty word that people shouldn't use is a common thing. These are people who go out of tehir way to construct their sentences to never need to use the word "moist".

They take offense to the word. I make sure to use it a lot (they're my friends and I'm an ass what can I say). Doesn't mean it should be moderated.

It's important to know where to draw the line between "uncomfortable" and "hate speech".
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
I recently called someone out on the PoE subreddit over this very thing.

I think the issue at hand is how it is generally (and only generally) accepted in the gamer culture to use the word retarded as a pejorative with no particular malice attached. When gamers use it, they are not really expressing resentment towards the handicapped.

That said, it shows how detached many gamers are from the world at large, and any community that allows such comments does so to the detriment of it's audience. You really can express yourself without meaningless hyperbole and calling people stupid or retarded because they do things that you don't understand. By communicating in such a way, you truly are signalling to everyone who has to function in the real world that you have nothing to say worth reading.

I really think the mods could be a little more strict with this community, but it isn't so much the use of words like retard that need to change in order to make this community a place intelligent beings can tolerate. It's the attitudes of the children here that really ruin the experience for the adults.

So many of the most frequent posters on this forum, even when they aren't misusing the term "retard," speak with such a petulant, caustic tone that they do much to lower the level of discourse in what should be a helpful place to exchange information. It's more of an issue because PoE is not an easy game to master. Participation in a forum with a toxic culture is mandatory to succeed, and that will unfortunately make anyone mature enough to recognize the consistently present attitudes unwilling to continue playing the game. Thus, strict moderation of the forums, particularly the attitudes, is important for the long term success of the game.

OP, you're quite a part of the problem here. Go ahead and defend your posts if you want to, but you would be better off seeing what people are talking about than trying to argue your way around it.
I see it like this.

GGG has made a game for anyone to play. Made a forum for anyone to discuss nearly anything they wish. There are very few rules here, but it IS GGGs forum.

They obviously don't like the use of the R word. So instead of people needing to be rebellious about it, they should just be respectful to GGGs wishes and just find a different expression to take the R word's spot.

They really ask very little of anyone here considering the very cool things they've done for us.

Come on.
No characters over lvl 72. Disregard this post.
Last edited by grant_m on January 24, 2014 2:11 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
Bukariin wrote:
I mean, do you not understand "retarded" being a little off-color?

Or are you defending the use of the word as being completely non-offensive?

I don't think it should be looked at any worse than if I had said "That would be stupid".

Isn't this forum for adults?

Adults shouldn't be calling things retarded imo.

Why not? It's an accurate and descriptive adjective. Also, adults generally aren't so sensitive where they cry over usage of a word rather than the context. It's quite astounding the level of censorship people are not only willing to accept but wish to be forced upon themselves. Generally, adults like to have some agency rather than be policed by an autocratic entity outlining acceptable trains of thought and/or actions.
"
TyrantKeel wrote:

OP, you're quite a part of the problem here. Go ahead and defend your posts if you want to, but you would be better off seeing what people are talking about than trying to argue your way around it.

I see what people are talking about here. I just don't agree. Does it bother you that much that I don't agree?

"
TyrantKeel wrote:
You really can express yourself without meaningless hyperbole and calling people stupid or retarded because they do things that you don't understand. .

Its important to this thread to recognize that I wasn't using the word like that. There was no hyperbole or reference to another player specifically.
Tilt
Last edited by iamstryker on January 24, 2014 2:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info