Enlighten

Definitely wish we could put gems above our character level into our incubation chamber. I've got a million characters to 50, on ice because I consider them finished.

God knows how many lv20 gems I would have had by now if I'd been allowed to apply my exp to them.

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
(might as well say 25%?).

25% is definitely when the "I'm feeling it" exp boost kicks in. Still a net loss in the typical 4L though. Might as well crank it all the way up to 35.
I understood it with empower and enhance, its good for curses, arctic armor, you know small things you can run on 2 supp gems that get a little nicer with a 3rd. So what I level my main skill 5% faster? I often calculate the % dmg increase from spell lvl n to lvl n+1, it's mostly 5-12% dmg increase per level. If I gain this damage increase 5% faster, I effectively gain 0.05*0.05-0.05*0.12 percent more damage ONLY while leveling my gems. Thats like 0.25-0.6% dmg increase averaged out during the whole leveling. It's nowhere near as good as bumping 46% slow on temp chains to 50% with enhance(about 9% effective increase). And raising zombie level from 20 to 21 with empower is more than 10% of their life. So here's my question:

WTF Enlighten?
What I thought (and hoped) Enlighten might do when the gem was announced:

"Linked gems have X% reduced attribute requirements"

It would top out at like 33-50% or so and apply to all support gems that are linked with it as well as active ones. I think this effect would be really cool, convenient, and sort of build-enabling. Maybe this could be a fourth gem in the Empower/Enhance/Enlighten series, and make it white (because why not). I can't think of a name.
"
It would top out at like 33-50% or so and apply to all support gems that are linked with it [..]

Which would be no Support Gems, because Support Gems do not link to Supports.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
It would top out at like 33-50% or so and apply to all support gems that are linked with it [..]

This one would, because it could... :/
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"

Actually they do, Elemental proliferation is increased by any aoe increasing nodes passives and gems.
"
Samirhage wrote:
Actually they do, Elemental proliferation is increased by any aoe increasing nodes passives and gems.

That is because the linked Skills gain EP, and the Skills benefit from Increased AoE modifiers.
"
Waves_blade wrote:
At lvl 2 its only 5%, I assume its 10% at level 3. 10% extra for the huge time seek to even level it to begin with seems... tedious.

I assume that at level 4 it would be 15%. Thats not to bad I guess, requires a specific type of weapon in your offhand to make it close to effective.

However, it does have its limits.

If you do it on 2 +1 one handers, that takes up 2 out of 6 slots for leveling. If you use it on a random 5linked weapon its basically the same, 1 out of 5 slots used.

Using a 6linked two-hander just to level seems... incredibly wasteful unless its a horrific base.

I'm unsure how much 5-15% extra experience will matter for gem leveling speed. The only levels that I'd personally care to even bother with the gem are coupled with gems level 16+. Enlighten is INEFFECTIVE to use while leveling because your gems are limited to YOUR level, them reaching to their next level faster doesn't mater if you can't level them up anyway.

I'm also a bit unsatisfied that it doesn't work with other support gems, extremely unsatisfied actually, but w/e.

/musings.

Agree.

Not balanced skill gem at all, dont worth slot.
It's more the kind of gem you put in your off hand weapon to level gems faster just to sell them.

That said, it's still pretty awful considering the amount of xp it requires to even reach lvl 2 and it only affects active gems.

Making the gem also affect supports would at least help its case a bit but as it is, it's just garbage except in the EXTREMELY long run (like, 1 year +).
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
My initial reaction to this stands. This is the worst piece of design the game has seen since Iron Reflexes.

Also, whoever balanced the numbers on this probably thought picking Swift Learner in Fallout was a good idea. What a noob.

I'm only half-joking.
Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info