Valve at CES 2014 - Steam Machine(s)

So we have a few options for out next console. I'm going to bet that Falcon Northwest will make the best one, though probably the most expensive too.

EDIT: Prices and specs: http://www.techspot.com/news/55249-valve-shows-off-13-steam-machines-covering-all-shapes-sizes-and-price-points.html
Verge pictures: http://live.theverge.com/valve-ces-2014-press-event-live-blog/
Engadget pictures: http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/valve-steam-machines-pictures/
Gamespot video: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/embed/6416742/

After too many console games with controls I can't remap the way I want, and so many with ugly textures forced into 30FPS by some substandard hardware, I'm glad to have this choice on the horizon. The affordable Steam boxes will replace DVRs and the current consoles used only for TV streaming, but the additional software is really going to make this explode in popularity.

Compatibility with older games is no longer a problem, and I'll be using emulators for my DOS games and everything else. I'm going to give my dying SNES a break and just plug in my SNES controller to this using my retro-usb adapter. And in time, DX11-only games and contemporary console exclusives will be on this platform.

Video and photo editing on the TV, composing documents via voice recognition from the comfort of the couch, the list of utility and convenience just expanded exponentially. Buying nearly any headset rather than those crappy overpriced ones which always break, the hardware flexibility blows consoles out of orbit. I'll be hacking my own usefulness from the box, but you can bet I'll be sharing anything cool.
Last edited by ionface on Jan 8, 2014, 5:46:06 PM
Valve does what Nintendon't!

But seriously, I can do the stuff you listed on my PC already.
It is only an alternative for people being troubled handling a PC in a conscious way.

What is more interesting: Will Valve be able to dominate the real console market being Japan? And I do not meant that in they have the most console users but that they probably have the most percentage of console users compared to gaming PC users.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jan 7, 2014, 8:59:12 AM
Alienware will be the most expensive.

Heard it here first
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
"
Fire_Kid wrote:
Alienware will be the most expensive.

Heard it here first

its funny cause you are wrong. Alienware had a 500 dollar version. The cheapest one I saw. I was surprised myself.
Last edited by derbefrier on Jan 8, 2014, 8:15:40 AM
I miss building gaming machines.

But age does have something to do with it.

Spoiler
Being married to a non-gamer does the rest.
Looks like I was right on with thinking Falcon Northwest would be the priciest. Ouch!
I love how hordes of people seem to expect steam machines to be something other than boutique pcs.
I may buy one...

:P
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
I love how hordes of people seem to expect steam machines to be something other than boutique pcs.

Boutique PC's that circumvent Windows.

Target Audience:
People that do not own a gaming PC but want one. Buy Steam Machine to suit your budget $500 up to $6000.

Plug and Play

Start playing PC Games.

Share your Games with your friends for free.

Buy 20 Games during the Steam sale for $50.

Added bonus of all the Indie Games on PC/Steam.

Browse the internet etc on your TV. Eliminates the need for AndroidTV and similar devices that range from $50 up to $300.

I have no doubt they will take off and as a result prices will drop and PC gaming in general will become cheaper.

I own a PC and I would very much like to convert it to a Steam Machine.
Even though I'm fairy tech-savy, stepping into the Linux world has always been a bit intimidating. But I think I will give SteamOS a go, especially since 99% of my game library is actually on Steam.

I cant imagine very many current PC owners going out to buy a $1000 Steam machine. Im sure it will still happen, but it wont be the norm.

You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
"
Velocireptile wrote:
"

[...]

I own a PC and I would very much like to convert it to a Steam Machine.
Even though I'm fairy tech-savy, stepping into the Linux world has always been a bit intimidating. But I think I will give SteamOS a go, especially since 99% of my game library is actually on Steam.

[...]

As long as you don't go Ubuntu. :P
Piece of crap is as filled as a Windows distribution.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info