Whats with the walking and running animations ?

"
The ones that really stand out to me are when characters run with two weapons. It is the most awkward thing ever.

Duelist running in town with WoE is really really awkward
"
fozziex wrote:
The scion has a nice wiggle. ;)

I often find myself, even after 97 levels running back and forth in town for several minutes.

Ops, was thinking out loud, again..
Last edited by Juhazzz on Jan 8, 2014, 6:26:22 AM
"
stormyknight wrote:
They have to be the worst i've ever seen in a modern video game of the last 10 years period..

They remind me of one of those claymation greek mythology movies, first one that comes to mind is Jason and the Argonauhts circa 1961.. here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

There is such an unatural gait in the walk and run its immediately distracting to the point its all im looking at. There is also a huge disconnect between the character and the scenery but mostly it seems your hovering along a backdrop.

I love the genre and i tried this game about 8 mths ago. But those animations are...so bad..

Is there any animation touch ups planned for the future ?

I have been wanting to do a another pass on the runs for awhile. The Templar and Duelist I think are the worst offenders,they irk me real bad. Theres a myriad of reasons we made the choices we did but now looking back theres definitely room for improvement
animator
Now that I think about it, I completely agree!

Here's the rundown of criticism for each class:

First and foremost, each and every class needs more bending movement in the crease of their arms whether running with a weapon or not. They're too still, way too still.

The Marauder: More energy and force/muscle in his movements. His shoulders need to move and pump out more, and his back muscles need to coordinate more with the shoulder movements.

The Duelist: More energy and force/muscle in his movements. His shoulders need to move and pump out more. The worse of them all, he looks like a limp fish while running/walking.

The Shadow: The Shadow's movement in his arms and legs while running/walking is pretty decent, however, his back muscles need to coordinate more with his shoulders as they pump out.

The Scion: From a distance and especially when you look up close, every time her left and right knees pop out while running, it's somewhat clunky and not smooth. Her bosom can also be improved to make things sway a hair more, just a hair more.

Other than that, like someone else said, she's got a nice wiggle, and if I may add, her movement seems to coordinate quite well with her arms and back.

The Templar: The Marauder needs more bounce throughout his entire body while running. He's got a sort of 'clunk-clunk, clunk-clunk' in his movement when you watch him run from the top of his head down to his feet. When his feet hit the ground, so too must his head have bounce to it.

As stated with the Marauder and the Duelist, the Templar needs more energy and force/muscle in his movements, notably in his arms. His shoulders also need to pump out more, and his back muscles need to coordinate more with his shoulders as they pump out while running/walking.

The Witch: The witch needs a hint of wiggle on the backside. And worst of them all when it comes to this, she definitely needs more bend in her arms while running/walking whether she's got a weapon in her hand or not.

The Ranger: The ranger needs to have more animation coordination between her shoulder movement and back movement, per se, below and behind the neck within the crease of the spine area. (that goes for all the melee classes, too). And since she's the most masculine looking of all the female characters, she could use a little more forward pump movement in the shoulders.

She can also use a bosom enlargement. The Witch is fine in which she's the type that's skinny anyway. The Ranger on the other hand is more rough yet she needs to show her feminine side just a hair more.

P.S. I hope this is a good guideline for you when reworking the movement animations. I know the choices you guys made for the movements is because you're a small team of developers, but these areas regarding movement can definitely be improved to be smoother and more energetic with some force behind it.

Keep up the exceptional work.
HeavyMetalGear
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jan 26, 2014, 10:39:45 AM
I could throw in some tips on those, if you're interested, Ari.

PT, currently taking advanced classes in walk/run analysis. I could even explain how to make it look as if who's walking has Arthritis or something (for the Templar), or is older/female/has shortened muscles (Marauder). And I could explain bio-mechanically, so you'd have exact numbers.

Of course, if you're not looking for realistic, no point, so lemme know if I can help out.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
Last edited by CantripN on Jan 25, 2014, 4:29:20 PM
The shadows stand still is actually the ugliest thing on the planet. I'm pretty sure his neck/back defy everything. Not honestly sure how he would kill anything, since he's always looking at the ground.

"
ozzy9832001 wrote:
The shadows stand still is actually the ugliest thing on the planet. I'm pretty sure his neck/back defy everything. Not honestly sure how he would kill anything, since he's always looking at the ground.

I got to thinking about that, too. The Shadow's head can indeed be lifted up a little bit. His eyes are in no way focused on his target going onward. That being said, I never did suggest this to PoE because I thought I would get a response with something along the lines of, "Not happening because it's not that important."
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jan 30, 2014, 12:09:04 AM
"
CantripN wrote:
I could throw in some tips on those, if you're interested, Ari.

PT, currently taking advanced classes in walk/run analysis. I could even explain how to make it look as if who's walking has Arthritis or something (for the Templar), or is older/female/has shortened muscles (Marauder). And I could explain bio-mechanically, so you'd have exact numbers.

Of course, if you're not looking for realistic, no point, so lemme know if I can help out.

I can go into explaining things to the finest, most ridiculous detail too (without schooling,) but it's completely unnecessary to go far as explaining signs of arthritis in a character's movement, etc. From what I gather in your comment, it's like you want GGG to give older characters such as the Templar that look as if they have health issues via arthritis.

It's completely unnecessary to go about such details since PoE's characters are supposed to be in exceptional health to carry out the duties they need to carry out. If PoE was too realistic (what you're bring up is far more nitpicky than what I point(ed) out,) it would not really look right or be fun.

Furthermore, an example of it not being fun is IF GGG went by what most hardcore critics would argue that, "Since characters like the Templar look old, they shouldn't be able to move as fast as say, the Shadow..." PoE would not be fun at all, at least for characters almost as old or close to old as the Templar.

It doesn't make sense giving these suggestions. And not all people who are old looking are always slow or have arthritis. You cannot always judge a book by its cover. It doesn't take going to school to know these things.

Conclusively, what this thread suggests is to make the movements of all characters more fluid than how they currently move now. This thread also assumes each character has exceptional health in that all character move speeds, etc. are treated equal and no slower or faster than the other.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jan 26, 2014, 12:34:00 PM
Yes, yes, yes. I don't want them to be sick. I just think if you're going to make it realistic, females and older people move differently. Not always slower and/or worse, though.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
"
CantripN wrote:
Yes, yes, yes. I don't want them to be sick. I just think if you're going to make it realistic, females and older people move differently. Not always slower and/or worse, though.

The criticism I gave already suggests what you suggest in that, yeah, males and females should move differently than one another. The males will have more muscle behind their movements while the female characters, not so much.
(me)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info