Top Reasons I Like Trading, an Economy, and am Sick of Economy Hate Threads

Here is my top list of what is GOOD about trading and the economy. I am tired of all these SFL troll threads and economy hates posts. The simple truth is there are some very sophisticated factors most of these posters overlook.

1. The RNG needs to be tight. Period. People complain about self found and demand an ultra loose RNG. The issue is lifespan. The looser the RNG, the faster the game melts down, becomes stale/easy, and fails. Using D3 as an example, remember when they buffed legendary drops combined with difficulty nerfs? The economy became terminal, maxed in a month. Untouchably nice items in any form (i.e., merely having a GFG leg) became commonplace. Players got bored...fast. The no lifers were finding dozens of BIS bae leg types a day- top items lost all their distinction.

2. Trading adds a high layer of complexity to an otherwise mindless, skillless game. The simple truth is that while the game is highly complex relative to its peers, an economy is key for adding depth and skill. Because the game is big, understanding the economy and keeping current is tough! It lets those who are sophisticated gain an edge through knowledge. A binded SFL game becomes ideal for mindless, easy play. But that's the d3 market, not POE crowd. In fact, a SFL POE is less complex than a non bind D3

3. Trading mitigates the luck factor of a bad RNG streak. Although related to pts #1 and 2, , it's key to remember that trading gives you the flexibility to have what you want, even if drops don't fall your way. The normal counter to this is a request to juice the RNG, a very short sighted demand indeed
Last edited by Twister0258 on Dec 23, 2013, 9:47:29 PM
On the other hand, in a perma CT league the RNG needs to be very loose indeed, or the gear gap would be insurmountable.

Other than that, +1 and did you really expect anything different? People always look to short-term gain.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
I have nothing against trading, I have a severe problem with our functionality TO trade.

I'm sure 90% of the trade-hate threads etc are the same in mind.

I am all for players trading all day, it doesn't matter to me. I turn trade chat off for 99.9% of my time in-game.

I also believe that 99.9% of the trade-hate threads etc would die off with the implementation of a broker or auction. The majority of players are already turning towards alternatives like poe.xyz.is because of. Trade chat is unbearable. There's no sugar coating it.

Give me a system where I can search an index of items, buy and be on my way. This is all I and I'm sure most want.

I want to grind away, fight monsters with my build, and get loot. I do not, and will not participate in trade as currently presented because it takes more time than playing the game. It's utterly horrendous. This is all I want.

If I really want an item, I use the poe.xyz.is site. I wanted a rare unique and it took no more than 5 minutes to find, buy and be on my way from there. Put a broker in the game.

Side note: 93.7% of statistics are fabrications.
Last edited by gr00grams on Dec 23, 2013, 10:29:59 PM
I agree with you that increasing drop rates would ultimately shorten the game's lifespan and contribute to boredom. On the other hand I feel the same way about trading lol. Just want to point out that not everyone wanting a SFL wants increased drop rates.
"
MrRoundTree wrote:
I agree with you that increasing drop rates would ultimately shorten the game's lifespan and contribute to boredom. On the other hand I feel the same way about trading lol. Just want to point out that not everyone wanting a SFL wants increased drop rates.

Then what do they want? To be able to not trade? Because you can do that in the current league? What else do they want? A balance for more vendor recipes and items to allow for better progression? Why do they act they should only get their own league for improvements for the game while everyone else should be forgotten?
You think the game is mindless but trading takes skill....

ok.....
Standard Forever
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

Then what do they want? To be able to not trade? Because you can do that in the current league? What else do they want? A balance for more vendor recipes and items to allow for better progression? Why do they act they should only get their own league for improvements for the game while everyone else should be forgotten?

What do I want? A league where trading is disabled, that's pretty much it (well, that in a cutthroat league perhaps). I'm well aware I can do that now, just like I could play softcore and delete my character upon death to simulate hardcore. It would just be nice to have a league where everyone is on the same page, so to speak. Not really a huge deal, would just be nice to have.
"
MrRoundTree wrote:
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

What do I want? A league where trading is disabled, that's pretty much it (well, that in a cutthroat league perhaps). I'm well aware I can do that now, just like I could play softcore and delete my character upon death to simulate hardcore. It would just be nice to have a league where everyone is on the same page, so to speak. Not really a huge deal, would just be nice to have.

Why?

I ask this as someone who's pretty new here, and has traded about twice.

Why would you want it disabled?
I been playing pretty non-stop, I just turn trade off every time I join the game. It has absolutely zero bearing on my game really.

I just don't understand, sorry.
"
gr00grams wrote:

Why?

I ask this as someone who's pretty new here, and has traded about twice.

Why would you want it disabled?
I been playing pretty non-stop, I just turn trade off every time I join the game. It has absolutely zero bearing on my game really.

I just don't understand, sorry.

A fair question! Speaking only for me, I would rather play in a league where everyone finds their own gear for a more competitive spirit and a focus on playing the game rather than trading. Like I say, I can play self found without it, just like I could play softcore and delete my characters to simulate hardcore. I would much rather party up with other players just for fun and to play rather than everything having such an obsessed focus on trade. Hope that makes sense.
Trade thread..... *snore*

golf clap to OP.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info