[1.2.x] Elemental Cyclone Templar

Elemental Cyclone Templar
Updated, December 5th 2014 - Patch 1.2.4e

#1 - Introduction

The idea was stole from this 2 videos, Path of Exile: Elemental Cyclone and That New Cyclone Skill, probably more people are running Elemental Cyclone, but since I can't find a guide, I will put the info I came up with here. The main plan is to scale high attack speed with damage from auras, while also grabbing a bunch of block nodes and go tanky with Aegis Aurora and Stone of Lazhwar combo, this way you have either good offense and defense.

So, this build goes for:

• 70% Block
  • 35% Spell Block
  • Resolute Technique/Iron Reflexes
  • Elemental Damage
  • High Attack Speed
  • High Melee Range
  • 20k+ DPS
  • Ignores Reflect

Stats_Screenshots

#2 - Passive Skill Tree Milestones

Spoiler
  • 24 - Resolute Technique
  • 43 - Master of the Arena
  • 70 - fixing the tree
  • 97 - Block nodes
  • 113 - All life nodes

#3 - Bandits' Rewards

Spoiler
  • Normal: Help Oak for 40 additional base maximum Life.
  • Cruel: Help Kraityn for +8% increased Attack Speed.
  • Merciless: Kill all for 1 additional skill point.

#4 - Skill Set / Gems

Spoiler
Cyclone is your AOE and single target skill, for a 4-link, Cyclone + Weapon Elemental Damage + Life Leech + Blood Magic. Next to link, Concentrated Effect (it will hurt your range, but it still big with it) and Faster Attacks, I will test Added Lighting Damage, since it was buffed, but still leveling it up.

Anger and Wrath are mandatory, you need both, main source of damage.

Herald of Thunder for some more passive damage bonus.

So you got, Wrath + Anger + Herald of Thunder + Reduced Mana.

what_you_need_for_each_aura_setup

• Anger + Wrath = Reduced Mana level 7
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder = Reduced Mana 18 + Sovereignty
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder = Reduced Mana 15 + Sovereignty + 4% Reduced Mana
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder = Reduced Mana 12 + Sovereignty + 8% Reduced Mana
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder = Alpha's Howl + Reduced Mana 17
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder = Alpha's Howl + Reduced Mana 12 + Sovereignty
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder = Alpha's Howl + Reduced Mana 7 + Sovereignty + 4% Reduced Mana
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder = Alpha's Howl + Reduced Mana 3 + Sovereignty + 8% Reduced Mana
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder + Herald of Frost = Alpha's Howl + Reduced Mana 17 + Sovereignty + 8% Reduced Mana
  • Anger + Wrath + Herald of Thunder + Herald of Frost = Alpha's Howl + Reduced Mana 20 + Sovereignty + 4% Reduced Mana

Leap Slam and Whirling Blades will give you a lot of mobility, Leap Slam + Whirling Blades(level 3) + Faster Attacks + Blood Magic.

For curses, grab either Elemental Weakness and Enfeeble, resistences can reach negative numbers for increased damage.

Decoy Totem or Devouring Totem are both good choices as defensive measures.

Last but not least, Cast on Damage Taken(level 3) setup, with Enduring Cry(level 6), Immortal Call(level 5) and Increased Duration. High physical damage is the only thing that can kill you, this will give you a lot of protection.

My_Setup

#5 - Gearing

Spoiler
One of the most important part while gearing the Elemental Cyclone Templar is the weapon you will wield. A fast (1.7 base attack speed) Foil is your weapon of choice always, the main drawback is that it requires an insane amount of dexterity, that our passive tree alone can't provide, so you will need a lot of dexterity from gear. As positive it's not only the fastest weapon in game, but also has the higher range aside two handed axes (7). The main modifiers you are searching are increased attack speed, added Lightning/Fire/Cold damage, and reduced attributes requirements.

For a shield we are going with Aegis Aurora, not only the best DPS-wise, since it boosts elemental damage with weapons, completely broken defense-wise, ignoring a lot of game mechanics, you are simple godlike to multiple low strikes, and can ignore reflect damage. Note that even without it you are good for leveling, only really needing it at maps.

For amulet Stone of Lazhwar, giving that extra bit of intelligence to level up your Wrath and curses, and making possible to reach 45% spell block without Rainbowstride.

As a honorable mention Lioneye's Paws, it's not really necessary, but will give you not only added fire damage, but 60 of Dexterity at max roll, which will help a lot.

I broke down the requireds weapon, shield and amulet, for the rest of the gear the simple list that follows cover the rest, mainly go for life/resists and weapon elemental damage.

Spoiler
CHEST
Carcass Jack Varnished Coat
*Life
*Resistences
*Armor

BOOTS
Wake of Destruction Mesh Boots
Lioneye's Paws Bronzescale Boots

*Life
*Armor
*Resistences
*Dexterity

HELMET
Alpha's Howl Sinner Tricorn
Fairgraves' Tricorne Tricorne

*Life
*Resistences
*Armor

BELT
*Elemental Damage
*Life
*Resistences
*Armor

GLOVES
Legacy Thunderfist Murder Mitts
*Attack Speed
*Added Lightning
*Added Fire
*Added Cold
*Life
*Resistences

JEWELERY
The Taming Prismatic Ring
*Added Lightning
*Added Fire
*Added Cold
*Weapon Elemental Damage
*Attack Speed
*Resistences
*Life
*Armor
*Lightning Damage
*Fire Damage
*Cold Damage
*Dexterity

My actual gear:
Spoiler

#6 - Metadata

Spoiler

Change Log
  • December 05th 2014, added some more content
  • November 25th 2014, added new screenshot and video
  • November 6th 2014, updated to 1.2.x
  • January 4th 2014, formated as guide
  • December 21th 2013, first draft

To do

IGN - Peonsius
my characters/739743 - standard shop/511367
Last edited by peonso on Dec 5, 2014, 9:13:54 AM
first draft, level 37
Spoiler
Looking for anyway to improve it, any imput at all, like a insight about end game viability,

I got 1020 dps at level 37 running with this Weapon...

I'm using a skill that costs 189 LIFE POINTS, running with 1k HP, desyncing like a boss, and still didn't died.

Got a level 20 Templar with free respec, and a friend leveling up needing a partner, then found this 2 videos on youtube "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnb7Z_4tgBA" and "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIQDXIX4C5o", the first on gives the link for the nearby exact same tree I'm using.

I'm running all "Added Fire/Lightning/Cold Damage" and "+X% Increased Elemental Damage" mods on gear I can, and the fastest attack speed weapon I could find, and it is a Thrusting One Hand Sword with base 1.7 attack speed. The problem is they need a hell lot of Dexterity, and we got nearby none from passive tree, so it should came from gear. The "cons" is that they are not only fast, they got max weapon range, which is 7.

Note that I'm purposely avoiding movement speed boosts (like Leather and Steel), like Kriparrian stated, with less speed, more spins we got.

Perfect DEX roll Lioneye's Paws is a good piece of gear, not only giving +60 Dexterity, but also 12-24 fire damage (sadly it also give us 20% move speed boost).

Sadly I can't life/mana leech with gear, since nearby all my damage is elemental, so we need to waste a slot with Blood Magic to make Cyclone spam sustainable.

No point in going for crits also, since the ideia is to deal a lot of fast low damage hits, so Resolute Technique.

Not going for blood magic cause i'm running Wrath, and plan to also run Anger.

Skill Gems
*(gem level)
GGRRRB Cyclone - Elemental Damage - Faster Attacks - Life Leech - Blood Magic - Concentrated Effect
RRB Reduced Mana - Anger - Wrath
RRRB Cast on Damage Taken(1) - Molten Shell(7) - Enduring Cry(5) - Enfeeble/Conductivity(5)
GGRR Leap Slam - Whirling Blades(3) - Faster Attacks - Blood Magic
GRRR Double Strike(5) - Faster Attacks/Multistrike - Life Leech - Blood Magic
R Devouring Totem

Bandits
Normal - Oak (+40 hp)
Cruel - Kraityn (+8 attack speed)
Merciless - Oak (+1 Endurance Charge)

Passive Skill Tree

Gearing
Spoiler

My actual gear (level 37)
Spoiler

CHEST
*Life
*Resistences
*Armor

BOOTS
Wake of Destruction Mesh Boots
Lioneye's Paws Bronzescale Boots

*Life
*Armor
*Resistences
*Dexterity

HELMET
Honourhome Soldier Helmet
Fairgraves' Tricorne Tricorne

*Life
*Resistences
*Armor

BELT
*Elemental Damage
*Life
*Resistences
*Armor

GLOVES
*Attack Speed
*Added Lightning
*Added Fire
*Added Cold
*Life
*Resistences

SHIELD
*Life
*Resistences
*Armor
*Block

JEWELERY
The Taming Prismatic Ring
*Added Lightning
*Added Fire
*Added Cold
*Weapon Elemental Damage
*Attack Speed
*Resistences
*Life
*Armor
*Lightning Damage
*Fire Damage
*Cold Damage
*Dexterity

level 50 log
Spoiler
Passive Tree
As of level 50, I got 2250 dps on Cyclone, with a 5L running this gear...

(my neck is a blank, i need the DEX)

IGN - Peonsius
Last edited by peonso on Jan 3, 2014, 10:35:01 PM
level 60 log
Spoiler
Passive Tree (74 points)

Running both Wrath and Anger, 4550 dps at level 60. Probably viable at late game, fearing elemental reflect, can't go for Vaal Pact, since I rely heavily on Blood Magic gems, life regeneration and Flasks.

Amazing mobility with Whirling Blades+Leap Slam. Clearing speed also awesome.

Not only facing problems to get all the DEX, but I will need some INT from gear also (not a lot, like 20-30) to keep leveling up Wrath. My amulet still sux, but I need the DEX, the shield is also crap. Lacking some lightning resists.

ACTUAL GEAR
Spoiler

SCREENSHOT
Spoiler

IGN - Peonsius
Last edited by peonso on Jan 3, 2014, 10:33:34 PM
level 68 log
Spoiler
Went to maps, and since middle 60's noticied a big loss on survivability, bought a Aegis Aurora, respeced to some block chance and everything is solved. Had like 12k tooltip dps before, after going for defense I have nearby 8k dps. My weapon still nothing good.

Gear
IGN - Peonsius
Last edited by peonso on Jan 6, 2014, 7:58:10 PM
up
IGN - Peonsius
I was expecting some build not using Aegis Aurora...FAILED.
IGN: Standard/FuheiRabbit; Ambush/I_Dont_Need_Pants
"
ChaoticLemon wrote:
I was expecting some build not using Aegis Aurora...FAILED.

The item makes nosense at all, why the hell someone would use a shield that is not aegis aurora? I had some ES and some armor, grabbed a bad roll for 7 ex, it made wonders =p
IGN - Peonsius
Last edited by peonso on Jan 11, 2014, 1:30:05 AM

I made the mistake of following this build... as a _total_ newbie.

I'm now level 21, normal act 2 and just realized that the offense gems aren't available for a while (expect the cyclone gem on the next act).

Any suggestions of what I should do? Ie.
- look for a build that has a similiar start but is more newbie friendly
- am I just missing some easyish way of acquiring the needed gems?
- use lightning strike or whatever until I pretty soon acquire cyclone, and forget about leap slam and whirling blades?

Thank you for your patience.
"
damneb wrote:

I made the mistake of following this build... as a _total_ newbie.

I'm now level 21, normal act 2 and just realized that the offense gems aren't available for a while (expect the cyclone gem on the next act).

Any suggestions of what I should do? Ie.
- look for a build that has a similiar start but is more newbie friendly
- am I just missing some easyish way of acquiring the needed gems?
- use lightning strike or whatever until I pretty soon acquire cyclone, and forget about leap slam and whirling blades?

Thank you for your patience.

Hey dude, you got a great point, I didn't added level up advise, but will soon, it may be trick at lower levels, but not far from being easy.

I would say you should try Lightning Strike or Spectral Throw till level 24. It will be painfull till like level 35-40, cause you will need to spam health potions, but as you can see from my lower level log (37) it's doable, I didn't died once till I reached nearby level 60 (even with all the desync).

Required level // The gems you will need:

• 1_Double Strike
  • 4_Whirling Blades
  • 10_Leap Slam
  • 10_Wrath
  • 10_Anger
  • 10_Tempest Shield
  • 12_Life Gain on Hit
  • 19_Elemental Weakness
  • 19_Enfeeble
  • 24_Cyclone
  • 24_Blood Magic (2x)
  • 31_Life Leech
  • 31_Faster Attacks

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Quest_Rewards

Don't know what you already got, check the quest rewards and see what you can grab from lower level quests and just create a character and grab it (like double strike), check what you can grab from quests (like one Blood Magic at early cruel) and try to buy the rest (no better adivice, you can beg, I would help, but you are at Domination), you could already be leveling up everything even if you can't use them yet (like the auras, you will be running just wrath at lower levels, but you can level up both).

At level 24, you need a 4 Link with Cyclone+Weapon Elemental Damage+Blood Magic+Life Gain on Hit (GRRR), since you can't sustain the higher cost of Cyclone with your mana. At level 31 swap Life gain on hit with Life Leech, if ever find/buy a 5L add Concentrated Effect.

At lower levels you can use Double Strike as single target, nearby the same damage, but a fraction of the cost, you probably can run it on mana, Double Strike+Weapon Elemental Damage (Life Gain on hit/Life Leech/Faster Attacks can be added). You SHOULD NOT level up double strike (keep at level 5).

Run Wrath + Tempest Shield, till you can run Wrath + Anger + Reduced Mana.

After buying the gems, this uniques can help at leveling, help A LOT. Crest of Perandus is REALLY GOOD.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Crest_of_Perandus (40% block + LIFE)
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lioneye%27s_Paws (DEX + Fire Damage)
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Ignomon
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Goldrim
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Honourhome

Also, for you weapon, A BLUE ONE can do the job, u need a Jagged Foil with high attack speed and some elemental damage, if you ever find a rare better. Or try poe.xyz.

Also, about Leap Slam and Whirling Blades (the last one you should keep at level 3), they are just for mobility.
IGN - Peonsius
Last edited by peonso on Jan 13, 2014, 2:44:05 PM

Thanks a lot for your quick and thorough answer. Out of the required gems I've only got... anger and elemental weakness. Going with 2h lightning strike/sweep for now. I was surprised that you have to be level 25 in order to trade, so one more level and I'll see how easy it is to buy some of these gems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info