Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps with EK or Fire and Ice (with Theory of UBER version)

Welcome Exile,
If you are looking for chip, extremely fast, endgame build with insane DPS and not bad survivability you are in good place :)
Now you can chose what patch to take – physical damage with EK or elemental with Fireball and Arctic Breath. Look on the 2 videos and to pick gameplay you prefer.

What was change in Forsaken Masters expansion
Spoiler
NERFs
• Trigger chance of Cast on Critical gem was nerfed from 86% to 68%. This is big difference in paper but in practice it is not so bad :)
• Life is different now. We gain 12 life per level instead of 8 but life nodes are weaker now. In my case I felt from 4,5k to 4k life. I could get more but I took Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics. Not a bad exchange I could say.

BUFs
• Crit chance and crit multi nodes was buffed. I have 95% to crit now without dual wielding and tween terror node.
• Elemental and especially physical nodes was buffed a lot. My spell damage is higher now.
• Some spells were buffed (Ice Spear for example 87% buff)
• Projectile piercing nodes appeared. It affects barrage and spells. It buffed damage a lot for AoE.
• Herald of Ice and Herald of Ash were added. Really good with this build. I incorporated it to phys and elemental ways.

Videos:
Spoiler

PHYSICAL damage with EK (Level 71 yellow map with cool fractured mod)
http://youtu.be/V6gKMiiAZp0

ELEMENTAL damage with Fireball and Arctic Breath (Level 73 map)
http://youtu.be/9AtdDYBiWfw

Old videos.
Map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDzI42eF0Q&feature=youtu.be
Double boss fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRSYTBY_-QM&feature=youtu.be

The concept:
Spoiler

I’m experienced but lazy player so I like simple cookie-cutter builds. With HUGE damage and at least decent survivability. Preferably with 1 button and without annoying charges timer or constant granite flask drinking. I made a build better then expected.
Cast on critical strike (CoC). This is the base of the build. When you make a critical strike this gem gives 86% chance for instant cast of every single spell connected with it. When you critically hit one monster few times even with one attack or hit multiple monsters CoC can trigger for EVERY critical hit. And can trigger all different spells attached.
All you need is fast attack which can hit multiple enemies connected with CoC and good damage spell. THE WEAPON DAMAGE IS NOT IMPORTANT. DAMAGE COMES ONLY FROM THE SPELLS.

The best spell for CoC?

1)Ethereal Knives. It is fast, AoE and have the best damage. Huge mana cost is irrelevant because spells cast with CoC did not drain mana.
2)Arc, Fireball, Arctic Breath has been buff a lot. They are really powerful spells now!

The best weapon?

Fast, with high crit chance preferably with a lot of spell dmg. Only daggers and wands are perfect for that. So what to choose?
1)Daggers can be used as melee or range. Cyclone is good fast AoE skill for CoC but we need much better gear/defense to go melee. We can also use spectral throw but it is so slow and need LPM or GMP which are terrible with Ethereal Knives.
2) Wands can be used with new superfast skill Barrage. It hit 4 times so it is good for single target and most important it is range. Can be linked with LMP/GMP but much better choice is Chain gem because it has much better synergy with EK. This is the best choice for CoC!

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
PROS:
• Insane damage
• Ultra high clear speed
• Chip equipment
• Leech max health with almost every hit
• No problems with reflect
• Good for almost all maps mod
• 80-95% chance to crit with power charges up.
• Range not melee

CONS:
• Can’t go AFK like with aegis aurora/armour/block char
• Single target damage is lower. You can sometimes one-shot only few low level map bosses.
• Survivability is only decent.

What patch to choose – physical or elemental
Spoiler
Both patch are very similar but different in details.

Physical way:
Main damage is physical from EK spell. To boost it you should use Hatred aura which add frizzing/chilling effect also. To protect reflect damage use Iron Reflex for armour sufficient for 40-50% physical damage reduction.

Elemental way:
Hatred aura is useless. You can replace it with Haste. Frizzing/chilling effect cams from Arctic Breath. You can drop Iron Reflex because reflected damage is elemental not physical. With Grace aura you have 40-50% chance to evade attacks and thanks to Ondalr’s Guile your chance for evading range attack is doubled.

What way is better? It’s hard to say. EK do little more aoe damage, elemental is better for bosses especially if you stay face to face and 5 projectile hits the boss. Elemental way have better survi IMO because you cannot be hit many times in a row and life leech is so fast that you should be able to fulfill it between hits. You have many elemental spells to try and only 1 physical. 6L is must have in elementl path.

Skill gems, auras and and links
Spoiler
6L is only one expensive item what you really need. Tabula Rasa will be good, 6L with evasion will be much better and defence from Lighting Coil or offence from Voll’s Protector will be the best.
If you have only 5l it is also good.

Link your games like this:

First thing to consider is what will be the power charges source. There are 3 options:
1) From Volls protector armour (good lazy way – best in dps way)
2) From Power Charge on Critical Hit gem in your 6 link (good lazy way but less dps)
3) Additional 4 link: Barrage – PcoCH – Curse on Hit – Projectile Weakness (good way for max dps in main 6L and no main cursing but not so lazy)

Main 5/6 link in EK way
Barrage – CoC –Life Leech – EK and/or Chain and/or Power Charge on Critical Hit and/or Arc
• Barrage max level should be 10 (the lowest mana cost). Quality is not important.
• Chain level is irrelevant but quality is very good. Projectiles speed make EK go farther.
• CoC should be max level and quality improves crit chance so it is good for us.
• Life Leech should be max level but quality is not important. Vaal Pact make leech instant.
• EK – Level is the most important - 18 is minimum for late game. Quality adds some damage.

Main 6 link in elemental way
Barrage – CoC –Life Leech – GMP – Arctic Breath – Fireball
(Power charge source must be in different 4L or from Volls Protector)

4 auras should be use:
• Hatred (on mana) – Only for physical patch. Synergy with EK. Grants more dps for EK and very important freezing effect!
• Haste (on mana) – Only for elemental way. More attack and running speed.
• Grace (on mana) – A lot of armour thanks to Iron Reflex
• Herald of Ice for elemental and Herald of Ash for physical version.
• Clarity (on life) – Low level only to sustain Barrage mana cost.

For bosses new cool Vaal Summon Skeletons is the best

To increase defense:
• CwDT – Frost Wall – Projectile Weakness Summon Skeletons – Decoy Totem
(Frost Wall is really good because it push back all melee mobs and protect you from rengers. Much better for range char than enduring cry + immortal call combo)

Passive tree
Spoiler

I add an elemental tree. After 1.1.4 hype to dual wielding buff I was so mad that I drop 1 wand and pick up a shield. Good buff for survi and resists but crit chance drop for me from 95 to 85% which is visible dps loos.
You can change trees a little and play physical with shield or elemental dual wielding.

Physical way
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAsNii2cgU9W9qjBa_Ax4PqyaVH0FTNWHiBiObtVVLtUjDOhmK8-rKSvsJKgtvnvbacFKcpPGzgwnEohqPidOHE0tXu-Nw1XcHwOP-ul3yDkjTfuOEY0MRlu96Nj0HHu4O7LCdqpUujAtirGyM8NUj9rl8j_pJUU2SjX38xWeg3Q2HdluvSn1OKimlKk0_J0rIbqq18qluNZIqOP6P2L1N46ZXMZ7sGHC72RMvb1b6fXUknWJajDYs6RUgo4pRTKxHfVt4DehmP_wIsbTFwuwqW3n2QzZS7EZx4Ygdqg==

Elemental way
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAv4DHgW1Bx4IsQ5ID6sRlha_GYoajx2qH0Ej9iT9JpUqOCpNKlsvbzBxMHw1kjY9OkI64T8nP_xCw0M2RXxGcUlRSshLV0t4TZJN41FHUUxS7FM1VUtd8mHiYqxjQ2yMbqpvnnBScLtw1XcHeA159n1bfyuDCYcTidOMC4w2jX2Nv4_6lS6Xl5u1nKSdqqZXqW6sR7Q4tMW18rl8wOPC7MM6ykrUI9aK2L3ZE92o34ThiOOE5RnnVOhm7BjssPDV8bPyRfba-wn79f6P_97mgcu9

About the leveling trees:
1) I recommend to level with different skill like spectra throw (for physical way) or Flameblast/Ice spear/whatever spell you like (for elemental way) and migrate to barrage CoC when you reach level 60-70!
2) I will not post leveling trees because it should look different depending what gear you have. I give only one suggestion: fulfil the tree taking first that nodes you like to have. If you lack survi – get life and evasion if you lack offence – get phys/elemental damage and crit chance/multi, if you lack int/str get some +30 node and respec it later.

Items:
Spoiler
1)Weapons

Look for wands with:

Fast attack speed (1.5are the best), High crit chance (min10%), Spell damage (min50%)

Very good mods are: +accuracy, faster projectiles.

You need 2 wands. Dual wielding is better than wand + shield because of additional crit chance from tween terror node and 10% MORE attack speed from dual wielding.

2) Chest

Any 6L is good. 6L eva or eva/arm is perfect but Lighting Coil or Volls is the best option.

3) Helm
The best option is rat nest: huge crit chance and 15% attack speed is most important.

4) Glows
The best option is Maligaro’s: nice crit chance, good crit multi and attack speed.

5) Belt
Rare belt with life and res will be the best. Rustic Sash adds a lot of damage to EK

6) Boots
Rare belt with life movement speed and res will be the best

7) Amulet and rings
I strongly recommend crit chance on all 3 items. Just take diamond rings and amu with global crit chance. Very important is additional life and resists. Best with +accuary +crit multi +spell dmg.

8) Shield
Chose ES with spell dmg, life and resists. For better survi use armour or evasion shield.

My equipment
For Physical patch:
Spoiler

For Elemental patch:
Spoiler

Is the Shadow the best/only option?
Spoiler
I made this char by full respec my old dagger shadow. The other option is Ranger. They are very very similar as but Shadow will have slightly better damage and Ranger slightly better survival

Bandits:
Spoiler
Normal - Help Oak for 40hp.
Cruel - Help Oak for phys damage (works with EK) or kill all for passive (for elemental patch).
Merc – Get the power charge!!!

UBER CoC version
Spoiler
It is theory only because I do not possess the require gear but I think that it should work.
The goal is to increase dps and A LOT! This build already do crazy dps but it can be MULTIPLY by 2-3 times.
What we can gain:
• We need low life – with Pain Attunement we gain 30% MORE dps!!!
• We can use Blood Rage – we gain 54% attack speed!!!
• We can use Righteous Fire – we gain 15% increase spell dmg + 56% MORE dps
• With Mortal Conviction we can use all aura we like.
How to achieve this:
Low life: We need Shavronne’s Wrapings Wrappings 6L with Barrage-CoC-GMP-PCoC-spell-spell. This combo mana cost is only 18 mana and that is very important. After taking Blood Magic with Mortal Conviction we can add many auras including Purity of Fire (with empower to reach 5% max ress) and Vitality + some other auras to be low life.
Blood Rage: is easy, we need some regen on ES and we can add Shavrone ring for that on right slot. No mana regeneration is not a problem because we have Blood Magic
Righteous Fire: This is more tricky. I like to use RF all the time so we need high regen and high max fire ress. Max fire ress is not a big problem. PoF with empower and aura nodes give us 7%. Phoenix shield 8% so we have 90% fire ress (100% with flask!!!). High regen can be gain with tree (my tree have 8,4% regen). Witality aura with nodes boos gives 2,6%. All this with Shavronne ring = 15% ES regen. This combo have 1 HUGE drawback. We DO NOT regenerate life and it is our mana source. The solution is brilliant. We need 10% reduced mana cost of skills to decrease man cost from 18 to 16. Than we can use special new master items with -8 mana spent. We need ring and amulet with this mod to have barrage CoC completely nana free (Thanks to The_x_ile for 0 mana cost idea).
Tree:
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA34rpAkuu2VsbJW0Zpys1uRFQHU8tHy9v2RNwu-wYwcVMs1AwcFKJ03DVXfIOSPPqKgtjQ19q2-dHBiW8378UcY_6CfYDxlyKwfOVINte37CCEHvXEZYRLysKtvfyHWSd6_V_xuGIRnG0DJMnHNyDCXcHhxOcpG-eoqMNfOq6KPpXyRB_DH2Cx8ae-ei3PkGHxPY8LcauXz9_45tYMfuiDy7_UFD3wSSLPQ_Q0Gh02mKUoH5Z5FFnm3fjrj7BBFW1pzCezQ48n8tTpQxfHKeDticLQqMGDmP90PVBlq6zuXyMC-ywNj3jhA==
ES leech should be done by Atziri gloves and belt.

Acknowledgements
Special thanks to The_x_ile for help with theorycrafting this build
Thanks to Bars, iBoudoux and The_x_ile for anvsering questions in this threat :)
ing: Storm_Gaze
Last edited by LeMing on September 2, 2014 7:51 AM
Have you experimented with other spells?
"
Have you experimented with other spells?

im at the moment trying to work that with storm call
How about arc?
really interesting build.

how about curses? wouldn't projectile weakness be better? reducing the chance to miss from the initial barrage hit also knock-backing mobs?

I made some adaptations for the build for self use, what do you think of it?

I will be using tabula rasa and the triple dodge nodes without iron reflexes, without vaal pact, i would play only solo with this build, pretty much

and i'll be starting as ranger instead of shadow

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAAYAXgR-BbUF-QguEZYV8BX2F9gZihmOGo8a2xzcJDwk_SaVJ6ktRy2DL28wcTB8NJM6QjpYSVFKfUt4TipQQlFHUzVVS1b6Wm1br13yXvpieWNwZ6BtbG17cFJwu3DVdEF3138rf8aHGYd2jDaNv5cGm42btZ2joi6nXK7PtUi2Qb6nwA_AUcSixqLQOdDu0k3TftQj1QDWitkT3Q3dqOdU647tg-4O73rv4_F28-r22vej-WP7Cfyr_MU=
IGN: Wanderoux
Last edited by iBoudoux on December 20, 2013 6:48 AM
I really like this build, will definately give it a shot, since the tabula version is quite cheap.

However, I noticed there are a few possible improvements to the build. You don't need pressure points near the ranger start, since the crit multi would only apply to your barrage. You'd need global or spell crit multi for EK. Also, the one point in 1h attack speed is wasted too, wands aren't melee weapons. You should take the 10dex node instead.

And how about frenzy with PCoC for even more attack speed and crit chance? You'd have to spend a few seconds building up charges, but it might be worth it if you want to hassle with charges.
[Rampage League] @Out_of_kibaszott_names
[Standard League] @Lysmachus
==GMT +1==
i've tried that as low life version. problem is though that you need to be quiet close to your enemies. when you fight dominus he can hit you with his touch of god attack when you are in ek range. i like vaal pact and started as scion so i can go both ways. imo projectile weakness is the better curse because you hit more often to proc ek, all your proj (ek and barrage) pierce and knockback and add way more dmg. your crit chance is already high enough and the little crit dmg isn't that big a deal imo.
IGN: Perz | Reaver: view-thread/523959 | Wander: view-thread/742525 | Cycloner: view-thread/804489
"
How about arc?

I don't have many high level spells. I was trying 20level sparks. 18 level EK was better than 20 sparks. That is all I can say.
"
iBoudoux wrote:
really interesting build.
how about curses? wouldn't projectile weakness be better? reducing the chance to miss from the initial barrage hit also knock-backing mobs?
I made some adaptations for the build for self use, what do you think of it?
I will be using tabula rasa and the triple dodge nodes without iron reflexes, without vaal pact, I would play only solo with this build, pretty much
and i'll be starting as ranger instead of shadow

Thx for the post. I will try Projectile Weakness curse. Knocking back could be useful but I have feeling that Critical Weakness is the best. This is the best offensive but also defensive curse. My only option for fast full heal is to make critical strike with EK and this curse improves my chances.
Your adaptation looks good. I have only 2 concerns. 1)Without Vaal Pact reflect is deadly. You will oneshot yourself. Use Conversion Trap for reflect mobs. 2)There is HUGE difference between 65-70-75 crit chance. 5 crit chance nodes near Conduit helps a lot.
"
maladeth wrote:
I really like this build, will definately give it a shot, since the tabula version is quite cheap.
However, I noticed there are a few possible improvements to the build. You don't need pressure points near the ranger start, since the crit multi would only apply to your barrage. You'd need global or spell crit multi for EK. Also, the one point in 1h attack speed is wasted too, wands aren't melee weapons. You should take the 10dex node instead.
And how about frenzy with PCoC for even more attack speed and crit chance? You'd have to spend a few seconds building up charges, but it might be worth it if you want to hassle with charges.

Wow, Thank you for the post. I really did rookie mistake with the tree. Thanks you a lot for pointing it. I will make change to the tree. But I think Pressure Points appleies to spells???
About the charges: I was using other attack: Frenzy-Power Charge on Crit-Add Crit Chance-GMP and it works. But honestly I'm to lazy for that. Everything dying fast so collecting charges slows me. I need simple build but It helps when your level is not high or crit chance is low.
"
Perz wrote:
i've tried that as low life version. problem is though that you need to be quiet close to your enemies. when you fight dominus he can hit you with his touch of god attack when you are in ek range. i like vaal pact and started as scion so i can go both ways. imo projectile weakness is the better curse because you hit more often to proc ek, all your proj (ek and barrage) pierce and knockback and add way more dmg. your crit chance is already high enough and the little crit dmg isn't that big a deal imo.

Thanks for post. I have to try projectile weakness. I have q18% Critical Weakness so it gives 72% MORE damage from critical strike. That is a lot. I'm hardly trying to make EK go further: Ballistic Mastery gives 20%, 20q chain = 20% and both wands can have faster projectiles. If you max all EK should be offscreen.
ing: Storm_Gaze
Last edited by LeMing on December 20, 2013 1:33 PM
I have re-done my adaptation of your build with the dodge passives + vaal paact.

I have went another route getting more aura nodes + getting more crit.

LMk what you think of it

PS: I dropped the 3 block passives with DW, it is great, but in this route imo there are more important nodes.

- The remaining nodes would go into life nodes, so many options such as 8/8/12 and 8% 20 str ones

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAAYAXgR-BbUF-QguEZYV8BX2F9gY2xmKGY4ajxrbHNwdqiFgJP0otSoLKjgtRy2DL28wcTB8OkI6WECgRnFKfUt4UEJRR1O4Vvpbr13yXvpieWegaA5qP2-ecFJwu3DVdEF08XfXfyt_xoMJhVWHE4cZh3aJ04w2jb-TJ5cGm42btZyknaOeuaIutAzAUcM6xKLGospK0DnQ7tN-1CPVANaK2RPdDd2o4YjnVO2D7g7vTu968Xbz6vba96P5Y_sJ_Kv8xQ==
IGN: Wanderoux
Hello! Cool build its a very good way to farm up currency and transform into phys wander
In hardcore/nemesis since the skelleton suits wells for alot of crit based builds in hardcore.
But could u add level progression 20-40-60 and when to start playing with coc+ek. Would be nice for new players.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info