Crit Strike Bow Puncture!

ondars guile doesnt work against lioneyes

you dont have enough raw dmg or crit multi to make it work, imo

Last edited by theamazingjojo on Dec 30, 2013, 9:12:16 AM
Heartseeker, mind drinker, blood thirst and influence. They would be good choices.
Also, if you are going to do strong crits AND you want your victims to move, then added fire + anger and perhaps Blackgleam, I don't know if puncture needs the dmg to be phys.
Hey there!

I just wanted to post here again to show my progress.

I had started the character almost 2 months ago, and frankly, he sucked. I had pretty much stopped playing him and concentrated on my farming and such, but just recently started him up again. I realized that he sucked right up until I reached level 31 (giving me access to most of the gems for the build). Now I one-shot almost everything in the game. I owned every act 3 boss in normal and just ripped through Cruel in a couple hours, without any level-farming. Almost done soloing act 3.

A few observations. The weapon that helped me push through so quickly was

shooting 2 arrows fixed my lackluster AOE problem, as well as having a good amount of DPS and a powerful crit strike multiplier. Perfect for this build.

Movement speed is amazing. It lets me avoid so much damage, and also makes the game much more enjoyable. I have about 60% increased speed without flasks.

The totem is working out well, but not as well as I had thought. I'm immune to slower monsters like zombies and skeletons, as they aren't fast enough to get through the shockwaves to damage me or the totem. It also stops Roas and rolling rock monsters very well. It also gets some sweet crit strikes. I find that it doesn't do all that much against most monsters though, and is also very weak to ranged ones. It can stall, but it can't halt. Also, is it possible that some monsters are immune to Knockback? I'll have to see how fast it can get with a higher level Faster Casting Gem.

Last thing is I'm thinking that the Faster Attack gem isn't all that useful, and I could be using something that can increase the damage of the individual arrow instead of just shooting more. What do you think?
Okay, level 69 and I'm here on the tree:

I've started mapping, and so far, so good. I feel like I'm a tad weak still, but my bow really sucks and is due for a massive upgrade (especially on the crit. strike). When all's told I have about 34% chance to crit (with a 5% bow). This will go up massively when I get my hands on an 8% one.

I've also dropped Shockwave Totem + Faster Casting + Increased AOE + Chance to Flee for Flame Totem + Knockback + Faster Casting + Greater Multiple Projectiles. This is way better. Although it doesn't cover 360 degrees, it completely stops enemies from getting to me. Unfortunately, my flame totem is like lvl 5, so it dies to just about anything.

On top of having 100% increased Movement speed, it's getting really hard to hit me. I die when I get cornered or surrounded by enemies.

Should I get the Entropy Node at the top right of the tree near Bloodthirst? It doesn't double-dip, but 45% increased DOT seems pretty nice.

My Poison Arrow SUCKS. Why? I thought people built around this skill, but it's barely doing anything anymore. I need a good AOE skill for mobs. Any help? OR suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?
I finally got my hands on

I have Split Arrow linked with Curse on Hit + Projectile Weakness + Vulnerability. This is a really great combo, and is super synergistic with my Flame Totem setup as well as my Puncture setup. I can now handle mobs fairly well, but not as well as with certain other chars.
Currently at level 77, and having a great time mapping. It's not an OP build by any means, but if you're looking for a build that heavily involves you in the game, than look no further. You're always moving around, dodging hits while firing arrows and cursing people. It's probably my funnest character to play.

My Crit chance is sitting at 56% now, but will go up with yet another bow upgrade (I'm lucky I found a usable Harbinger) and the remaining crit nodes at the bottom right of the tree.

I'm sitting comfortably at 3000 life now since I got rid of the Entropy nodes and got more life instead. I felt almost no difference in the dps.

My resistances are capped with Purity of Elements, but I think that if I get a better belt, boots and get an Amulet with +1 to Curses, I can get gear that will get me there without needing Purity anymore and I can use a dps aura (probably fire).

My dream would be to get a Corrupted quiver with +1 arrow fired.
Last edited by Obermeir on Apr 20, 2014, 6:22:07 PM
here is my tree

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA_5MeGtIZ1tEqW7VIbWxtew-rVUvndPBCjDYmlWHilenaZIfbX-HKjxa_ayTz6iLqcFLAUejW44TN6g5IBbURlp2qjb_UI52jf8ZirFFH_Kuioyep1p0-zzB8qrgzDA_EWm295n8rb_KqfxnVO3wkPPlj1oo51I19_964yqdcGtsV8KCf7BhJUe4O51Q6WLTR73oj9lb6JP3VAAR-doLTfu_w_MXh24cZyAxaSGeg3Q2hpId2W6_-yEp9TioY2ymlrUpSr80mpzQ=

bandit choice: Oak/Oak/Kraityn(or passsive point)

link setup: puncture + lmp + crit dmg + physic project dmg (5L will be blood magic + leech from item)
with this setup i can one hit clear white or twice for magic pack

boss setup: puncture + crit dmg + physic project + blood magic

just hit and run for effect from DoT (+140% each second so i just want reset duration and run for safely :D)
and my suggest is using glove with vulnerable on hit like that

DoT 40% all Vulnerable gem lvl so i think lvl is enough :)

maybe with some quick hit and chase monster, u should use Smoke mine + increase AoE + increase duration for free blind clound :P
Hi, im busy with my real life job, so please leave pm if you want to buy or offer for any item in my shop.
Im alway online at 10h30PM in GMT+7, but i will try catch if in your time if you want.
IGN: WhoFearWillFall
Last edited by vjru5zl0v3 on Apr 22, 2014, 4:57:20 AM
That's a cool effect for gloves! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I don't feel the need to use Blood Magic thanks to the Mind Drinker node. It covers almost all my mana needs (the only time I bust a Hybrid flask is when I cast my totem).

Have you tried the Knockback Flame totem? It's really good.

I use Smoke mine when I'm in cramped quarters and have no easy place to run. It certainly helps for quick escapes as well.
Fun combo:

Tooltip DPS with auras: 80K Puncture and 50K Split Arrow (20K with Chain) not counting the triple DoT (bleeding/burning/poison).
Interesting! I want to maximize my physical damage to have as much bleeding as possible. I actually never checked my tooltip damage before lol I always figured it was fine.

Right now I'm only working with 4-links, puncture + Phys Proj Atk dmg + Increased Crit strike + Increased Crit damage. at 5-link, I'm going for increased accuracy.

If ever I get my hands on a good pair of gloves that have curse Vulnerability on hit, I'll replace my current vulnerability with another Phys Proj atk dmg for a decent AOE-curse-inducing skill. That's like having an extra 5-link. Damn!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info