Noob Alert... FF7 + FF10 Systems: PoE Rocks?

Hi dudes, I just checked out the PoE trailer, and I was really amazed to see that the item system looks like FF7's Materia system, comboed with FF10 huge grid character leveling.

These are my 2 favorite rpg games, and if PoE managed to combine those two features, this would be awesome.

Since I didn't play the game yet, just posted this to have some feedback about the subject.

tnx.
i played FF7 but TBH i did not like any FF game since then and stoped buying them after FF9

The truth is the POE makes the systems in FF7 look like a joke since the skill tree ( passive skills ) / active skill gems / gear options , go WAY above what any FF game has even come close to.

Comparing this game to a FF game is a mistake, they are doing so on other sites cuz thare is really nothing else that even comes close so it's thare only option.

Lets just say u will love this game. Also keep in mind this is a ARPG so it's like diablo 2 not like a RPG like FF7 or eldar scrolls.

When OB hits just come try it u won't be let down

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
It's skill system is similar to materia, but with much more depth. Check out http://www.pathofexile.com/skills

For the huge passive tree, see http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree
IGN: Warp_Nine
Without allowing this thread to spiral into a discussion outside of the OP's query, I'll say that it's probably no great revelation that the Sphere Grid system of FFX and the Materia system of FFVII inspired the combined character customisation system of Path of Exile.

Probably the biggest difference is that the Sphere Grid system had active skills as well as passive boosts on its pathways. GGG wisely made their skill tree (the Skilldrasil, as it is locally known) purely passive, and tapped a much more fluid system from Final Fantasy for active skills. Thus the Skilldrasil is all about attributes and bonuses, whereas the skill gem system is concerned with what uses those attributes and bonuses. Passive and active, divided but connected.

Another difference is that 'links' are much more important here. Most of the materia in FFVII could function pretty well without being linked, especially the summons and the master materia. In PoE, the support gems play a much more dynamic role, such that just about every 'active' gem has multiple versions once you start using Support gems.

The last significant difference I can think of is from the Diablo 2 influence: sockets are completely malleable here, whereas sockets in FFVII were static. You can change the colour of sockets, the number, and the links. These changes are all 'rerolls', however, and enacted by Path of Exile's 'currency system'.

So you can see that Path of Exile's passive setup (i.e. attributes), its active skill setup (skill/support gems) and its currency (which directly influences items) are all linked in ways that really do take it far beyond any one Final Fantasy.

...but yes, absolutely. The inspiration was there. Genius lies in bringing existing ideas together to create something new. That is what has happened here.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
FF7 1997? FF10 2002?

golden age
Xenosaga, too. Last of the great narrative-driven turn-based JRPGs, Iin my opinion.

Anyway, let's not make this a discussion of FF or such, because that's off-topic. Relate it to PoE or I'll have to move the thread. Sadly so -- I think the relationship between FF's skill systems and PoE's is an important topic for general discussion.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Xenogears
"
Dudebag wrote:
Xenogears

remember the part in that game whare u had to watch a 20 min cynimatic then fight a crazy hard boss....

Poe dose not force that on yha ;)
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
nitefox1337:

Not quite like FF:7 as I do not think you can split skill gems once you get them to max level

I haven't played 10 yet so I cannot comment further

-
Last edited by MaximumSquid on Jan 20, 2013, 4:43:35 PM
"
MaximumSquid wrote:
nitefox1337:

Not quite like FF:7 as I do not think you can split skill gems once you get them to max level

I haven't played 10 yet so I cannot comment further

-

Oh, good point. Max level gems in PoE do not spawn baby ones.

...I'd suggest they should but most people's stashes are full of gems before long anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info