Hardcore Frost Witch Guide (Last Updated May 8th)

Last edited by Junie on Mar 14, 2013, 7:28:23 PM
Quick question;
Is it better to run a Cold Penetration gem on your Freezing Pulse or Added Cold Damage (assuming equal level)?
"
Espadrilles wrote:
Quick question;
Is it better to run a Cold Penetration gem on your Freezing Pulse or Added Cold Damage (assuming equal level)?

My previous statement might have been wrong ... Edited to removed wrong comment
Last edited by lumino6 on Apr 1, 2013, 12:45:19 PM
I've been trying to follow your guide, and things were moving along rather nice until I hit levels around 48. I am now stuck. It took a very long time to get to 51, which I finally did, but I must have died 100 times. Now I cannot get past 50% of level 51. I have been at 50% about 10 times now and back to 0%. It's getting rather frustrating so that I don't even want to play any longer. The biggest problem that I am encountering is at the Solaris Temple. I can't get to the way point. It is taking too many hits to kill anything now, and as soon as more than 3 monsters surround me I am dying too fast. I do not know how to get enough fire resist to get past those things in the temple that just gang up on me. I can only manage to get about 65% fire resist which is not enough to last against one of them.
Your guide says that I should be able to 1 shot these things in Cruelty, but that never happened. I cannot even imagine that ever happening with a wand, as it does not do enough damage. I do not know where to even begin to try anything different. I have my skill tree exactly like your example, but only have about 1400 energy shield and 400 life. What should I be using for my main damage maker? I have the freezing pulse for main, but it takes 3-6 shots to kill each monster, which seems way to slow. I have the Ice spear on the spell totem, but that is pretty useless so I haven't been using it. Should it be by itself? That is pretty much the only damage spell I have been using and it obviously is not enough. I don't know what to change or how to proceed from here. I also have a Melee character that got stuck at level 48, so maybe this is the general spot that things need to change, I just do not know to what. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.
Hi

I'm currently level 12 and looking for some advice. I have been playing with freezing pulse + summoning so looks like your build is very similar to my current style.

I plan to build something that is similar to yours, but with some additional summoning passive by sacrificing the second Body and Soul.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37CCEAelAuNJsmvbLJxWSpUEr5ueoR8C5oF90iL0axdtGcHzoqN_xsHFLL-GrhXX14ZWYzbF2CSnCI9GHRT60maecU2az0NjtzFY9Z3EVysHY9DQm6H318y8hWCqxE25

This is my basic build (48 points spent), appreciate if you can advice me on
1. If this is viable
2. Any critical passive points that I have missed out.
3. Beyond this basic build, where should I move on from there.

I would most likely aim to have go for
1. Summoning skill first
2. TO body and soul
3. Then build on CI and passive points on energy shield

"
Viperface wrote:
I've been trying to follow your guide, and things were moving along rather nice until I hit levels around 48. I am now stuck. It took a very long time to get to 51, which I finally did, but I must have died 100 times. Now I cannot get past 50% of level 51. I have been at 50% about 10 times now and back to 0%. It's getting rather frustrating so that I don't even want to play any longer. The biggest problem that I am encountering is at the Solaris Temple. I can't get to the way point. It is taking too many hits to kill anything now, and as soon as more than 3 monsters surround me I am dying too fast. I do not know how to get enough fire resist to get past those things in the temple that just gang up on me. I can only manage to get about 65% fire resist which is not enough to last against one of them.
Your guide says that I should be able to 1 shot these things in Cruelty, but that never happened. I cannot even imagine that ever happening with a wand, as it does not do enough damage. I do not know where to even begin to try anything different. I have my skill tree exactly like your example, but only have about 1400 energy shield and 400 life. What should I be using for my main damage maker? I have the freezing pulse for main, but it takes 3-6 shots to kill each monster, which seems way to slow. I have the Ice spear on the spell totem, but that is pretty useless so I haven't been using it. Should it be by itself? That is pretty much the only damage spell I have been using and it obviously is not enough. I don't know what to change or how to proceed from here. I also have a Melee character that got stuck at level 48, so maybe this is the general spot that things need to change, I just do not know to what. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

I've been following this guide, and :

First off, you have low ES, might be better in Softcore, but I had 2500-3000 ES on Solaris Temple ...

Also, are you casting Frostbite on everything?

And finally, stop using Ice Spear Totem, use Summon Skeletons totem, it's insane for survival. I always cast the totem in front of me, this summons skeletons and distracts the monsters. Then I run to the monsters, and FP them while they are distracted (takes me 3-4 hits too)
If a monster changes target to you, run away, and let him switch back to your skeletons
If a monster is too hard, even with skeletons, Ice Spear him from afar (slower, but a lot safer)

Cruel A3 was very hard for me, but going slow, casting skele totem in front of me to see what's ahead (if too big of a mob, I run back a little, and lure them 1 by 1), I managed to do it safely without dying

I have some gear on Softcore too if you need, one of my HC witch died at lvl 48, so it's rotting in my stash right now
If you can, try to contact me IGN : LunaDaemon

"
Jual wrote:
Hi

I'm currently level 12 and looking for some advice. I have been playing with freezing pulse + summoning so looks like your build is very similar to my current style.

I plan to build something that is similar to yours, but with some additional summoning passive by sacrificing the second Body and Soul.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37CCEAelAuNJsmvbLJxWSpUEr5ueoR8C5oF90iL0axdtGcHzoqN_xsHFLL-GrhXX14ZWYzbF2CSnCI9GHRT60maecU2az0NjtzFY9Z3EVysHY9DQm6H318y8hWCqxE25

This is my basic build (48 points spent), appreciate if you can advice me on
1. If this is viable
2. Any critical passive points that I have missed out.
3. Beyond this basic build, where should I move on from there.

I would most likely aim to have go for
1. Summoning skill first
2. TO body and soul
3. Then build on CI and passive points on energy shield

First thing I have to say is, get Minion Instability, it's awesome (even if it's fire dmg)

1. This looks viable
2. I don't like critical passive, it's better to try to get it on gear in my opinion
3. First, get Inner Force, it boosts your auras' power by 30%, and it's awesome
Second, get more summoning skills, your survival will depend on your minions a lot, so you should aim for more minions if possible (life > damage)

I don't have a single damage boosting passive on my witch (excluding those on the way), so your Freezing Pulse should be good enough, you just need to make sure your minions take all the aggro away from you, because you will have very little ES, so that you can murder everything safely. Other than that, it seems like a nice build
Thanks for the advice I will look into those and try to understand.
Last edited by Jual on Apr 1, 2013, 10:42:21 AM
Thanks for your reply and advice. I will try the totem change, as I miss being able to cast from far away. I do have a decoy totem, is this a good substitute?

Yes I am using Frostbite on everything, it does make mobs more prone to the damage.

I will link my current spell tree, but cannot see how I could double the ES that I currently have, I do have 6 refund points and 5 regret orbs, so if I can figure out what could change I can make those changes. Perhaps the gear is making up the difference of the shield?

Skill tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAW8FQgdjEVAXVBzcHRQfAiKBLJwspjQKNsU3ZjeDO-E8jkGWVkpXK1fJZp5tGXFNc1N-WX_GghCESIt6jjyPRpMnlQSaz56hoqOm66cIpyuus6-buJO71sBUwfPYJNrd37Di9-aB6rrr7vF2-tI=

My Freezing pulse is currently linked with LMP and added cold damage, I see your post about cold penetration, and will try to find a cold penetration gem.

I will log in and play later tonight to try the suggestions. I can also see a post on this page with linked gear, and can see that almost every gear piece has increased energy shield of some type. I guess that would help me in terms of increasing my energy shield. I only have 3 chaos orbs so buying upgraded gear may not be an option.

Thanks once again for the suggestion, I will also check later in game to see if you are playing.

"
Viperface wrote:
Thanks for your reply and advice. I will try the totem change, as I miss being able to cast from far away. I do have a decoy totem, is this a good substitute?

Yes I am using Frostbite on everything, it does make mobs more prone to the damage.

I will link my current spell tree, but cannot see how I could double the ES that I currently have, I do have 6 refund points and 5 regret orbs, so if I can figure out what could change I can make those changes. Perhaps the gear is making up the difference of the shield?

Skill tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAW8FQgdjEVAXVBzcHRQfAiKBLJwspjQKNsU3ZjeDO-E8jkGWVkpXK1fJZp5tGXFNc1N-WX_GghCESIt6jjyPRpMnlQSaz56hoqOm66cIpyuus6-buJO71sBUwfPYJNrd37Di9-aB6rrr7vF2-tI=

My Freezing pulse is currently linked with LMP and added cold damage, I see your post about cold penetration, and will try to find a cold penetration gem.

I will log in and play later tonight to try the suggestions. I can also see a post on this page with linked gear, and can see that almost every gear piece has increased energy shield of some type. I guess that would help me in terms of increasing my energy shield. I only have 3 chaos orbs so buying upgraded gear may not be an option.

Thanks once again for the suggestion, I will also check later in game to see if you are playing.

I have never tried Decoy totem, so I don't know
It looks like your gear kinda sucks, I got lucky and alched a couple of nice ES gear I suppose, I still have my chest armor that I got in Cruel Ledge, and I'm lvl 69 now (it needs replacement though, since it only gives 200 ES :P )

Also, don't you have Faster Projectiles on your FP, it's kinda mandatory, to increase it's range by a lot
Ignore my post on Cold Penetration, after some testing, I might have been wrong about it, since it only works against Cold resist mobs, and you lose your extra damage on normal mobs
I was using LMP, FP and Faster Projectiles all the way until Merciless, which I added Faster Casting

As for your tree, I suggest saving 5 points and refunding your Chaos resist, and activating CI + the 4 nodes after it, and maybe the 15% node close to CI too (try to get some better gear while you save those points)
The reason why is : The 4th node after CI gives 20% ES on your final count, so basically, even with your current gear, 1400 / 5 = 280, so that's 280 extra ES
I'm currently to a point where that single node gives me 750 extra ES

Also, I got the 10 ES nodes under the starting point last, I had Body and Soul and the right most ES bonuses before I got the ones under the start (not sure if that changes a lot though)

Are you running Disciple by the way?
Last edited by lumino6 on Apr 1, 2013, 1:11:45 PM
"
lumino6 wrote:

Ignore my post on Cold Penetration, after some testing, I might have been wrong about it, since it only works against Cold resist mobs, and you lose your extra damage on normal mobs
I was using LMP, FP and Faster Projectiles all the way until Merciless, which I added Faster Casting

Actually, I think you were right the first time. The way cold penetration is SUPPOSED(*) to work is that it always decreases a mobs resistance, even into the negatives. So it should always increase the damage you do but especially that against cold resistant enemies.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Cold_Penetration

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Penetration

(*) I don't know anyone who has rigorously tested this though, so its just possible that things are not actually happening this way......

AngronTheBloodPrince: 'i essentially play lag with brief breaks of poe'

the_Peacekeeper: 'i play path of Trading with brief breaks of, Disappointment.'

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info