Dave/Kripp's 400 str Ethereal Knives Maraader

Blood Magic EK Marauder is very underwhelming imo,it might be good at first but after you get some high level maps or play in groups the damage starts to really tone done like a lot.
With very little critical chance and with not much cast speed,you just slowly spam EK over and over again.Facing a boss or rare enemy feels very tedious,Bear Traps does help but not that much.With most enemy packs its alright i guess,but its nothing to special or very effective compared to lets say Freezing Pulse or Spark.
And this is with a 6L item

Unavailable

Blood Magic also really feels extremely limiting ,but maybe thats just me idk.Not being able to use Purity,Hatred,Tempest Shield or even Determination really is a huge downside for me.

I dont even want to know how bad it will if OB will actually be as hard as it looks (end game wise)

My current tree btw:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAnEEswUtDq0UTRjbGlUhYCMYKS4ppSq6NYY26DpSOrM64TwtPfxAoEGHQ5xKfUz_TeNQUFhjWK9br18_YEtgbWEhZKNnm2egbPZ07XTxd-N4DXq4eu98uILHgziE74Vth3aI8YwGjM-NHJUgnYCdqp65ogCkrKZXqW6sWa4-rpOvbLXytz631rnNud3EWMWKxq7G2N0N37_nY-8O8B_yL_JF9kj8xf4K_o8=
Last edited by dualestl on Jan 19, 2013, 8:31:27 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
buks wrote:

Just checking it out on the recorded stream.

Looks WAY better already though. I'll definitely try it. Having more auras and not using Blood Magic is already a win imho. As cool as BM usually is, it kind of stands in your way with a build like this where you really want at least one (better two) %based auras.
Taking both EB and IR doesn't make much sense, armour/es gear + IRed grace isn't terribly efficient and EB does nothing if you're wearing armour/ev gear
"
Taking both EB and IR doesn't make much sense, armour/es gear + IRed grace isn't terribly efficient and EB does nothing if you're wearing armour/ev gear

Discipline alone gives you a ton of mana. That's what it's all about actually. Plus you can wear armor/es AND ev/es gear. So yeah, this will work out pretty well.
Last edited by Unimatrix on Jan 19, 2013, 2:24:32 PM
"
dualestl wrote:
Blood Magic EK Marauder is very underwhelming imo,it might be good at first but after you get some high level maps or play in groups the damage starts to really tone done like a lot.

The point is that spells have a set damage as long as you level them. There won't be any uber weapons in the first week of OB. But there will be lvl 75 characters using spells. This build easily transfers to Lightning Strike as those weapons are found.
No that's not the point. If Kripp wanted to play LS, he would build a character for it. The point is, that EK is a physical spell which makes it quite good.

It has downsides but overall I tend to agree. It's a very strong spell that benefits from certain auras that no other spell can benefit from.

In the end you can get a character that is dishing out very high damage and is quite tanky, too. One that doesn't care about resistances and - once you get your hands on a 6L - can even faceroll physical reflect maps.

Sounds good to me.
"
buks wrote:
I confess that I don't really understand that build. I haven't played with it or anything, but it looks like it's kind of wandering all over the tree to mostly get life nodes and stuff. I understand that life nodes are important, but it's not clear to me just from looking what's making this build tick. I'm not questioning that it's good, I'm just curious why it's good.
"
Daiteach wrote:
I confess that I don't really understand that build. I haven't played with it or anything, but it looks like it's kind of wandering all over the tree to mostly get life nodes and stuff. I understand that life nodes are important, but it's not clear to me just from looking what's making this build tick. I'm not questioning that it's good, I'm just curious why it's good.

It's good because it gets 3 keystones that make this build quite effective. Plus it's still very very defensive granting lots of armor and especially hp.

Having EB and IR allows you to run a lot of auras (Hatred, Grace, Determination, Discipline, Clarity) which wasn't possible with the BM variation of this build (because %based auras are pretty much a no-no). So you get to run a lot of auras for ridiculous defensive push (Grace, Determination and Iron Reflexes will get you some nasty armor) and you can still run Hatred which increases EK dmg by A LOT.

In the discussion were other variants, as you can read in this thread. The skilled BM one has the problem of not being able to run Hatred. Dave suggested another variant, using the BM support gem instead of getting the keystone.

Both is possible but both let you lose something beneficial, either Hatred or a support slot for EK. And the latter is a problem because you already need a 6L to support EK ideally without using BM support gem.
Am i the only one who thinks this is terrible? the DPS even with 6L and insane gear looks like its going to be pathetic. low dps means you have to worry about kiting and tanking ALL the time.
It's not a wtfpwned build. It's supposed to be a quite tanky steady dpsing one. And in theory that's probably what you would want for OB (judging from the difficulty).

The dmg should be quite good but it sure won't be crazy stuff until you got really insane gears.

Not sure what you are expecting, but if you're looking for some kind of LA performance, as in clearing two screens full of mobs with one attack - yeah, this won't be the build for you. Although I doubt you will see much of that kind any more. And GGG will probably try to get rid of obviously op stuff the further the game progresses.

But so far, I can't say the dmg is terrible at all. My Marauder used to one/twoshot most stuff. And the witch build has even more dps. Just gather enough stuff to match your cone and oneshot away. Doesn't seem weak at all. If you make sure to bring some help for ST (I'm using bear trap) even champs and bosses die rather quickly.

So in the end I really can't see any problem dmg wise.
Last edited by Unimatrix on Jan 20, 2013, 10:50:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info