New Forum Policy: No Hateful Posts

"
Xavderion wrote:

"
Hilbert wrote:
1. It's mainly used as advertisement show. Global reddit rules say that you are allowed to have a 10% quote but Devs and streamers break those.
Chris is way over 50%
The Podcasters are way over 50%
You could report them as spammers if you want and strike their accounts.
X-Advertisements are also forbidden. It would be the same as GM takes a Buick reddit and advertises over Cadillac.

Blatant ads don't get upvoted most of the time so I don't even see them. And there aren't really that many ads, even if I go on the 'new' tab it doesn't really catch my eye.

To quote the rules:

"If your contribution to reddit consists mostly of submitting links to a site(s) that you own or otherwise benefit from in some way, and additionally if you do not participate in discussion, or reply to peoples questions, regardless of how many upvotes your submissions get, you are a spammer. If over 10% of your submissions are your own site/content/affiliate links, you're almost certainly a spammer"

and to clarify what they mean by "submissions": they mean threads you start, not posts.

So if there is a person such that 10% or more of the threads he starts in reddit are linking or promoting his own content creations, then he is breaking against the global reddit rule.

You may think it is a shitty rule, and I do think it is a shitty rule, and the rule has lead to that ongamers (a LoL journalist site) cant really post/promote their own content in reddit through thread starts due to the 10% rule and thus rely on other people posting links to their content.

That's the rule regarding starting threads and it would not surprise me if many content creators in PoE are breaking against that rule but are getting away from punishment by people (including me) simply not bothering to report them.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Aug 16, 2014, 11:28:47 PM
"
I'm not here to engage into hc vs sc bullshit. Having one life vs endless lives is a huge difference when it comes to 'beating' the game though. Just imagine playing Super Mario Bros. with one life vs endless lifes. Which one is harder to beat?

I am not talking about harder/easier. The builds are essentially the same and the highest ranked SC players have 0 Rips as well.

"
LoL players have a mob mentality too and a lot of them are toxic as fuck. The system still works over there most of the time, that's my point.

It works because the community is really big.

"
The occasional witch hunt is nothing vs the shit that goes on around here :D Just look at ARPGfan, years later he still gets trashtalked and hunted (and I think that's fun, sue me).

This isn't even witchhunt, that's just trashtalking and look at the amount of comments.
The claims apply to other hosts too.

And the ARPGfan incident dates back 7 months not years.

"
Blatant ads don't get upvoted most of the time so I don't even see them. And there aren't really that many ads, even if I go on the 'new' tab it doesn't really catch my eye.

Look at mazuls posting.

"
I agree. It got better compared to like 1 year ago but it could still be a lot better. This wouldn't happen on the forums though because there is a gameplay help section so a vote system on the forums wouldn't compromise that. You should always keep in mind how a forum is way differently structured compared to Reddit.

You wanted a reddit like system. A structure doesn't prevent downvoting. People are sick of the same questions over and over again, making it impossible for new players to get in.

People would also stop using the report system or switch to alts if their name would be openly tagged under reports.

"
If you value endless unsubstantial QQ like you can find it all over these forums, then yeah :P

There are enough QQ Threads getting upvoted.

I don't care what system they have - other then that fact I don't feel comfortable with the moderators at this time I feel harassed and hunted - with excuses to probate my account. The rules right now are here to hurt and damage me not to defend and protect me.

I have only posted a couple threads since coming back because I really feel that whatever I say, no matter the context - no matter the tone - no matter what it will just be used to condemn me.

Why don't I just make another alt? What's the point. They will just IP trace and link my accounts like they've already done. So. Pointless endeavor.

The saddest part of all this, is the fact I can't actually discuss specific details of any of my cases. If I could, I am certain that people would just laugh at how extremely biased the last 2 contacts with GGG moderation have been. The last edit I got last week was literally the most insane thing I've seen. Completely ridiculous. It's akin to that guy who gently nudged someone while texting, only to have an insane person turn and knife them. Seriously ridiculous and over the top reaction to something that was akin to saying the word "rude" in a sentence.

Then I started to make a list of threads that I felt were over 100% "stronger" or "harsher" to what my warning was for... but I soon lost track. And what's the point? At the end of the day, what would happen is that GGG would back track and edit those out after the fact - the instant I made a public thread - or they would just edit my thread and ban me.

It's absolutely ridiculous right now. If you make GGG hit list? Forget you bro - you are outta here no matter legit or not. You are done.

It's sad that I can't opt in to being a "good citizen" and even making a pro-GGG stance I just get edited to hell and back.
Last edited by Isbox1 on Aug 17, 2014, 2:17:49 PM
"
I am not talking about harder/easier. The builds are essentially the same and the highest ranked SC players have 0 Rips as well.

You said HC being promoted as more challenging is wrong, so you actually are talking about that. Or do you mean the promoting is wrong, not the fact? Then I might agree.

"
It works because the community is really big.

Pls explain how this makes it work better.

"
Look at mazuls posting.

His post doesn't contradict what I said?

"
You wanted a reddit like system. A structure doesn't prevent downvoting. People are sick of the same questions over and over again, making it impossible for new players to get in.

It definitely does. If a noob posts a noob question in the noob section, he definitely won't get downvoted. See LoL forums.

"
There are enough QQ Threads getting upvoted.

I've seen none. Every unsubstantiated QQ thread gets downvoted into the ground immediately. Good QQ threads get upvoted, this would also happen here :)

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Aug 17, 2014, 5:51:54 PM
"
You said HC being promoted as more challenging is wrong, so you actually are talking about that. Or do you mean the promoting is wrong, not the fact? Then I might agree.

Talking about the way it's promoted.

It's promoted to create more elitism.

"
Pls explain how this makes it work better.

More players mean more party rotations this means the are less potential enemies to create.
The toxic atmosphere is mainly created on ELO ratings without many players where they are actually stuck and blame the same other players.

Look in PoE how hate against certain traders is created.

"
His post doesn't contradict what I said?

Ads get constantly upvoted: "Look at my youtube channel/poesite" are selfpromoting Ads.
They mustn't exceed 10%.
There are even people having 10% non ad submissions.
There are several bloggers or companies getting banned because of selfpromotion.

"
It definitely does. If a noob posts a noob question in the noob section, he definitely won't get downvoted. See LoL forums.

Look at the reddit community. It won't work! There were other PoE reddits and only one was active for 1 week.
A large amount of postings and many forums prevent constant downvoting. PoE forums are less active than in CB.

"
I've seen none. Every unsubstantiated QQ thread gets downvoted into the ground immediately. Good QQ threads get upvoted, this would also happen here :)

Nice way to talk yourself out. Enjoy more "Rain in Act2 Threads".

"
Why don't I just make another alt? What's the point. They will just IP trace and link my accounts like they've already done. So. Pointless endeavor.

That's why alts are called sockpuppets and low level noob traps only catch noobs.

i feel that GGG does a amazing job.. dont get me wrong i friggin am in love with path of exile its the only game i play atm:).. i know that this is just the first day of the new patch release.... but i have to say atm forsaken masters is failing.... but in another way its blooming... crafting is good... boxes r so cool....new masters put a extra twist into the gameplay.. sorry i didnt know where to even post this.....this is my first forum post....the game has a variety now more monsters etc... many good things but with good coms bad....e.g nerfing alot of areas.. i know it says here not to say in before nerf or whatever but you know.... but also alot of areas got buffed..so give n take i guess in that regard....not overly to bad but still abd enough that i notice alot of people in the game are complaining constantly. the constant dc in the game is insane.... ive never seen anything like it before thats the big no1 thats making people go er"bananas"...anywho im sure you guys already know the pros n cons after all you guys did make poe and the expansion... i have faith that you will restore it to its proper place.... iw ish you guys well and ignore the haters they are probably children who are bored.... signed Harley Cooper long live POE!!!!!!!
k. just wanna say that i've had my own personal "ups & downs" with some of GGs changes over the past couple of years (played since beta). but i have to say that i RARELY visit the forum for info because a) i hate negativity (lol), and b) i REALLY hate negativity coupled with ugly trash talk. and that same principle has held up over the years that i've played wow & diablo -- it's also the reason why i don't do "pickup" gigs lol. (nope. solo suits me just fine, even if i'm penalized for that game style with bad gear lol)

it IS GGs widgit. period. i believe they have a short term AND a long term vision (liking a lot of the new changes...good job, guys). and i think any "communication mishaps" are prolly the result of growing WAAAAAAY too big, WAAAAAY too fast! lol

i DO trust GG to fix those communication mishaps (or holes or voids...not just for the guys apparently having trouble getting their uniques designed, but for all of us) i honestly think they're a great team with a solid product. (and yes, i too, wish i could get Atziri drops without hiring a pro...lol) and i do believe they're (GG) dancing as fast as they can.

i wish folks would remember that their rights stop where someone else's begin (yes, victoria...not only is there a santa claus but he has to make a LOT of deliveries in a very small vehicle...), and IMHO, that courtesy is non-negotiable. but that's just my opinon.

so, chris...good policy change. tyvm! and keep up the good work. (aren't we trying to build a civilization here? (sic)).
"
Chris wrote:

<snip>
Our adjusted policy is: The Path of Exile forums are for civil, constructive discussion of the game. Hateful posts will be removed and the users who posted them may be probated. Please note that this is a substantial enforcement change from our current policy. If you post a thread called "Path of Exile is shit and GGG are evil" then you will get probated. If you post in a thread about a new skill saying "in before you nerf this too", don't expect the post to stick around.

On that topic, developers have feelings too. I care about the health of my team, and that includes their mental health. Some threads recently have honestly been incredibly hurtful and horrible to read. I have a thick skin, but I will not tolerate the forum causing my developers to feel upset about the reaction to the hard work they're putting in.
<snip>

It would be nice if this policy were extended in game. I wish there were community managers or GMs who were listening to the channels. I've hit the report button - but I have no idea what that does. There's never any followup on my end.

It's not just the dev team who get sick reading the hateful comments floating around these days. As a fan of this game, I find the hatefulness in game chat to be hard to tolerate. It puts a real damper on my eagerness to play. It also makes me think twice about all the time I spend talking up this game to my friends and family. It's hard to recommend a game to someone who you know will be harassed in the game chat.

Please, GGG, consider hiring managers to extend your No Hatefulness policy to the game we all enjoy. And please consider ways to give the reporting feature some sort of feedback loop, so we know at least that we're not just talking to the void.
"
Merneith wrote:
"
Chris wrote:

<snip>
Our adjusted policy is: The Path of Exile forums are for civil, constructive discussion of the game. Hateful posts will be removed and the users who posted them may be probated. Please note that this is a substantial enforcement change from our current policy. If you post a thread called "Path of Exile is shit and GGG are evil" then you will get probated. If you post in a thread about a new skill saying "in before you nerf this too", don't expect the post to stick around.

On that topic, developers have feelings too. I care about the health of my team, and that includes their mental health. Some threads recently have honestly been incredibly hurtful and horrible to read. I have a thick skin, but I will not tolerate the forum causing my developers to feel upset about the reaction to the hard work they're putting in.
<snip>

It would be nice if this policy were extended in game. I wish there were community managers or GMs who were listening to the channels. I've hit the report button - but I have no idea what that does. There's never any followup on my end.

It's not just the dev team who get sick reading the hateful comments floating around these days. As a fan of this game, I find the hatefulness in game chat to be hard to tolerate. It puts a real damper on my eagerness to play. It also makes me think twice about all the time I spend talking up this game to my friends and family. It's hard to recommend a game to someone who you know will be harassed in the game chat.

Please, GGG, consider hiring managers to extend your No Hatefulness policy to the game we all enjoy. And please consider ways to give the reporting feature some sort of feedback loop, so we know at least that we're not just talking to the void.

There does not have to be any "follow up" on your end. They take the measures they do take and thats it. You are jsut reporting someone and then GGG reviews it, trust me, there are mods ingame all the time and see every word you write.

They dont keep you in the loop for a few reasons, mainly because name and shame rules and of course you could always point the finger and say "haha i reported you now you got muted lololol" and thats not something we need here.
"
There does not have to be any "follow up" on your end. They take the measures they do take and thats it. You are jsut reporting someone and then GGG reviews it, trust me, there are mods ingame all the time and see every word you write.

They dont keep you in the loop for a few reasons, mainly because name and shame rules and of course you could always point the finger and say "haha i reported you now you got muted lololol" and thats not something we need here.

I do get what you're saying. I agree that it's not like they need input from us to do their job. And I do say, "reported" in the chat when I report someone.

What I'm asking for is some sort of visible response so that bad actors are put on notice, publically, and immediately. Well, semi-immediately, anyway. Whenever the GM or the chat monitor weighs in.

I can report people, and tell the chat that I have done so, but the only actual effect I see is that then I get shit about it, sometimes.

I wish there was a GGG employee in the chat area keeping the peace, rather than have the reported players go right on being jerks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info