Press start button, why ?

I'd guess that it's a holdover from arcades, where developers wanted games that weren't being played to run demos and stuff to attract people to play them.
"
zeto wrote:
Reminds me of a story about some monkeys, bananas, and a staircase.

That story has got to be epic.
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
Now the question is, why title screen is still used in console games and not at all or not much in pc games ?
There is no purpose anymore to the 'Push Start' screen. If it's there, it's there purely as a homage to the form.

So the answer to why they do it, is because that's the way it's been done previously when it probably did have some purpose.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
Chris wrote:
I recently heard (from Jonathan actually) that the purpose of this in console games was that the time that the user presses the start button is a good seed for the pseudorandom number generator.

This has implications!
Oblivious
"
kungfooe wrote:
"
zeto wrote:
Reminds me of a story about some monkeys, bananas, and a staircase.

That story has got to be epic.

If it is the one I am thinking about, it is a good example of learned behavior.
"
Chris wrote:
I recently heard (from Jonathan actually) that the purpose of this in console games was that the time that the user presses the start button is a good seed for the pseudorandom number generator.

Knowledge has been dropped!
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
"
Chris wrote:
I know personally that variants of this system (such as time between "press start" and selecting either "new game" or "continue") were used in the Pokemon games until at least 3rd gen (GBA games) - and players worked it out enough that you could get programs that would calculate exactly how long you should try to make that delay in order to get certain in game effects (mostly to do with rolling certain properties on eggs that were about to hatch before you saved).
Guess we'd better start calling it PNG.
"
This necro really made me miss old friends now absent. :(

Aww, sorry Charan, I'll try to cut a bit on my random thread necroing.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
I know personally that variants of this system (such as time between "press start" and selecting either "new game" or "continue") were used in the Pokemon games until at least 3rd gen (GBA games) - and players worked it out enough that you could get programs that would calculate exactly how long you should try to make that delay in order to get certain in game effects (mostly to do with rolling certain properties on eggs that were about to hatch before you saved).

wow that's pretty cool, didnt know that trick.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Dec 10, 2014, 7:48:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info