[1.0.5] [Nemesis/Hardcore] Morgoth's Rain of Arrows Ranger

=======

This RoA build has been played till lvl87 in Nemesis in every level of maps.

=======

Pros & Cons :

Spoiler
+ Huge survivability
+ Decent DPS with a decent stuff
+ You can go either armor, Evasion or hybrid (Iron Reflexes)

- Leveling (mana management and sometimes DPS can be a bit low @ mid game)
- Switching to BM gem can be a bit painful in terms of DPS if you dont have a 5L (2 slots are taken by Life Leech and Blood Magic)
- When you're starting to get a big DPS, watch out for reflect

Build details

Final tree and build fundamentals

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAF4B0QHnAnEEswguFCAUTRUgFm8Zjhm0Gf4aOBsBHRQj9iftKaUqTSzpMZ4yCTJ-Mok1kjboNuk6UjwtPydBh0p9SshN404qUEdVxlb6V-JYr1nzWkhbr2aeZ6BsRm6qcmxyqXfleA182YM4h3aI8Y9GkAqQVZuNn8uhIqIAokCmV6cwp4Sn1KlurFmsqq_rtfK3Pr6nwA_AGsSixPbGrsrTzZjPZdDQ0k3TftwV3Q3exuNq52PqYuw47YPuDu9673zv8PPd9Pj3vvno-rH60vzF_gr-j_7I

- Keystones : you're taking Iron Reflexes, Iron Grip (with around 300 STR and a pure phys damage bow, it's a massive DPS boost), Resolute Technique (not if you have a Lioneye's Glare), Unwavering Stance.
Point Blank is usually a though question... I prefer not spec into it because I usually play in groups so I can shot from a fair distance, in that case point blank is not useful. I would say point blank could be chosen when playing solo, but I prefer to have a constant DPS, far or close. But this build can be played 100% with point blank for sure.

- You're using RoA for both AOE and single target, Frenzy to get those frenzy charges

- You're scaling RoA by three main means :
1/ In end-game, a pure physical damage bow (try to get around 300+)
2/ Physical damage with bow passives and attack speed passives on the tree
3/ Hatred aura

- You'll have to take as many elemental damage rolls as you can on your gear, because it adds flat damage and can be scaled with Weapon elemental damage gem too, but physical damage scales much better than elemental, and it's easier to leech with physical (in general, mobs resists > mobs armor).

- You're running Hatred and Grace with Reduced Mana, and with all the intelligence taken on the tree you'll be able to run purity of elements in ele weakness maps.

- You're cursing with projectile weakness

Around level 30

Around level 50

Around level 70

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAF4B0QJxBLMILhRNFSAWbxmOGjgdFCftKaUqTSzpMZ4yCTKJNZI26TrhPC0_J0GHSn1KyE3jTipVxlfiWfNbr2aeZ6BsFmxGbqpybHKpd-V463zZgziD24d2iPGPRpAKkFWbjaEiogCiQKZXp4Sn1KlurFmsqq_rtfK3PsAaxKLE9sauznHPZdDQ037cFdyC3Q3jaucK52PsOO2D73rvfPJF9Pj56PrS_Ev8xf4K_o_-yA==

You keep up maxing survivability : head to the templar area and get those awesome life + chaos resist nodes, and the line with catalise - amplify (very nice for RoA) and life/life regen. You get Shaper near the Scion starting zone, so with all that regen and your life leech you can spam RoA with the Blood Magic gem with no problem.
The rest of the road to the final build is : 1/ going for Iron Grip, 2/ Going for the duelist starting area for those awesome DPS nodes and Leather & Steel

Links

Spoiler

Rain of Arrows

4L : RoA - BM - LL - Conc Effect
5L RoA - BM - LL - Conc Effect - Weapon elemental damage OR Faster Attacks (read below)
6L RoA - BM - LL - Conc Effect - Weapon elemental damage - Faster Attacks

As you will take a lot of elemental damage rolls on your gear to up your DPS + running hatred to scale your phys damage, it might happen that weapon elemental damage give you a better dps increase than faster attacks. It depends on your gear.

Even if your bow is full physical, if you take a lot of extra elemental damage rolls on your gear added fire damage gem (which seems logical at first glance in a physical build) is not the best choice.

Frenzy

4L : Frenzy - BM - Faster attacks - Weapon elemental damage

A 4L is enough as you'll use frenzy only to get your charges while dealing enough DPS doing so.

CoDT

Cast on damage taken (lvl10 for me)- Molten shell - Enduring Cry - Summon Skeletons

Others

Decoy totem and lightning warp linked with faster casting and Blood Magic

Hatred and Grace with reduced mana

Proj weakness

What gear you're looking for

Spoiler
- A pure physical damage bow, around 300+ DPS is very nice. Don't trust people telling you it's better to go elemental, they mostly never played endgame : elemental damage gives you a "direct" dps increase with all these mods, so when you're leveling, elemental bows are pretty handy. But potentially, in end game someone with a godly tri ele bow and sick gear and all the elemental nodes from the tree (and there are only a few) will never compete with someone that has a sick physical bow, nice gear and a build made around it, trust me. However, you also need elemental mods on your gear as it would be crazy to avoid those nice dps upgrades.

- Very important : max your survivability with the pieces that CAN'T roll damage mods, so Chest, Boots, Helmets. In order to deal more damage, you'll need damage mods on your jewelry, your quiver and your gloves. Of course you'll get some EHP (life and resists) on your jewelry, gloves & quivers, but your survivability musn't rely on those pieces. If it does, you'll have a hard time replacing those pieces to improve your DPS.

- Look for life and resists as much as possible on all your gear, and if possible, armor or evasion (Iron Reflexes)

- Look for elemental damage mods/attack speed on your jewelry - gloves - quiver to improve your dps. Even if you're going pure physical with your bow, you need these mods to deal more damage

- Go for a good rustic sash belt with nice life and resists and at least 20% physical damage as implicit mod

- Don't forget to have one or two pieces with very good chaos resist on it, try to go around 0 chaos resist in merciless

Flasks

Spoiler
2 life flasks - 1 quicksilver - 1 granite - 1 Jade flask

- One of your life flask must be an instant life flask

- One of your flask must be an "of staunching" flask (removes bleeding), Corrupting Blood FTW.

- Try to get an Ample quicksilver of adrenaline

- Get that "of iron skin" or "of reflexes" suffix on your Jade and Granite

Bandits

Spoiler
Normal : Help Oak (+40 life)

Cruel : Help Oak (18% increased physical damage)

Merciless : Help Kraytin (+1 maximum frenzy charge)

Leveling advices

Spoiler
- During leveling, grab any bow that gives you a DPS increase, not only full physical ones. Pure physical is only required for end game.

- Spec in any nodes than can help you for leveling, such as the 3 18% resists nodes from Scion, dexterity/intel/strength nodes, mana nodes,... Respec points from quests and orb of regrets are your friends !

- Early game, bear trap + added fire is very helpful for single target damage

- When you switch to the BM gem without a 5L, your DPS might be a bit low (because you need life leech and BM, it leaves only 1 DPS gem slot to link with RoA). If it's your case, you can put LL away for a while and curse with warlord's mark

- Don't underestimate flasks
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Feb 6, 2014, 5:31:22 PM
Added an elemental vs physical statement in the build.
hey there, nice guide so far :)
could you split the tree in clusters? lvl 20 / 40 and so on?
thanks in advance :)
Last edited by Bullrac on Dec 1, 2013, 1:16:32 PM
Hey there,

I just started following your build.

But I have a question.

the cast on damage taken, molten shell, enduring cry, skellies.

Why do I use enduring cry? wont it taunt everything to kill me?

Thank you for any information.
"
Bullrac wrote:
hey there, nice guide so far :)
could you split the tree in clusters? lvl 20 / 40 and so on?
thanks in advance :)

Doing that

"
Hey there,

I just started following your build.

But I have a question.

the cast on damage taken, molten shell, enduring cry, skellies.

Why do I use enduring cry? wont it taunt everything to kill me?

Enduring cry gives you a nice physical damage reduction boost, and if you're playing solo, mobs will focus you anyway, with or without charges. If you're playing solo, you'll most of the time use a decoy totem too, and it taunts the mobs more than you under endurance charges. In a group, the mobs wont jump all on you because of endurance charges. From a general perspective, the small "taunt" effect of enduring cry is not bad enough to drop the charges physical damage reduction bonus.
I'm level 72 at the moment, and with a lot of trouble, I'm reaching 4k dps with RoA.

My gear is

My passive tree so far looks like http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4B0QJxBLMILhRNFSAZjhm0Gf4bASftKaUqTSzpMZ4yCTJ-NZI26DpSOuE8LT8nQYdKfUrITP9N404qWK9Z81uvZp5noGwWbEZuqnJseA146311gziD24d2iPGbjaEiogCiQKZXp9SpbqxZrKqvbK_rtfK3PsAaxKLE9sWKxq7K085x037cFdyC3Q3exucK52PqYu2D73rwH_JF9Pj56Pqx-tL8S_zF_gr-j_66_sg=

I just don't understand where I'm gonna get another 4k damage from. Is it all from elemental damage on gear, and from catalyse?
You have almost no DPS on your gear, and you still have to get Amplify and Catalyse. Especialy, please get rid of that quiver.

As an example, I had this when my lvl87 ranger died :

and I also had a rustic sash for those extra 20+ increased physical, and a 303 phys DPS imperial bow.

Your problem is that you max out your resists from the most part of your jewelry (2 max all res rolls on there), while your resists on your chest are really bad (almost none) and you only have one single resist on your helmet. As I'm saying in the build presentation, you should max out your survivability from pieces of gear that can't roll damage mods : boots / chest / helmet, and not your quiver / gloves / jewelry. Of course you want some EHP from gloves, jewelry and your quiver, but if your survivability rely on them and they don't have DPS, u'll have a hard time replacing them and then gaining DPS (because the rest of your gear much likely won't compensate the loss of EHP, and you'll have to replace almost every piece of gear you have).

Here is what was my chest, boots, and helmet :

That's why my outputs are just given as an example. The build is just the build, the "structure", it doesn't guarantee the outputs because, as in any other build, it is also very gear dependent. With this build, around 8k on hatred and frenzy charges is somehow already near the max you can reach with a 5L, and your build (you're 72)+ your gear are still really far from optimal point, so don't expect to reach those max numbers now. As you can see, I took a lot of big flat elemental damage rolls on my gear, and I was level 87 so I had at least 15 more passives than you. I didn't have 8k from level 70 until I died, I reached my final outputs very late in the game.
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Dec 3, 2013, 4:38:30 AM
OP updated to fit some questions asked, although nothing has changed in the build in itself.
Hey man, so loving the build just a question.

Why aren't you running Point Blank and the huge Phys Damage nodes to the right of it? I've always heard Point Blank keystone (in passive) is a HUGE burst for RoA and helps with reflect in a sense as you can just distance yourself reducing the damage you do (farther away less damage) but still effective enough to kill him even if you just use Frenzy from afar.

Is there anyway to play Point Blank with your build? Just some curiosity, not saying its better just wondering reasoning behind not using it. Personal pref? Thanks mate!
Point Blank is usually a though question... I prefer not spec into it because I usually play in groups so I can shot from a fair distance, in that case point blank is not useful. I would say point blank could be chosen when playing solo, but I prefer to have a constant DPS, far or close. But this build can be played 100% with point blank for sure.

As for the phys damage nodes to the right : I tried many solutions to come up to that build, and I tried that one already. If I'm going for this wheel, I have to get rid of some other nodes (unless you're level 100, but that's not reasonable). In this case, here are the options : 1/ get rid of the duelist bow / attack speed nodes + leather & steel and spec those points into the ranger wheel down the right. The duelist area provides more dps than the other, and give a nice armor + movement speed boost. 2/ get rid of the strength node to Iron Grip & Iron Grip itself, and that's out of question considering the huge damage boost IG gives 3/ Respec the upper templar area with the int nodes and the two life rings (including the one with chaos res), and I highly dont recommend it in Nemesis, 4/ get rid of all the templar catalise-life-life regen-amplify line, which provides nice DPS (catalise-amplify) AND life and regen, so in terms of DPS and EHP, that's out of question too.

I did many respec to come up with that build, that may be personal but I really think it's not far from optimal.

Thanks for your feedback !
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Dec 3, 2013, 2:00:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info