Technical solution to eliminate desync in single-player sessions

I've read the majority of this thread as it has grown, and I wanted to give my thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion so far (both the devs and the players). I think it says a lot about what this community is capable of when there is a common goal:

Seeing PoE become the best it can be.
The state of desync so far.....

Since the desync manifesto and some experimental code fix for desync, is there then any thing else GGG could do about it?

In layman terms :
1. Is the desync thingy basically unsolvable
or
2. Only minor improvements are possible. e.g. Desync can only be improved by 20-30% more.
or
3. Can be fixed but require some sort of overhaul which GGG don't feel like treading on atm.
Last edited by Shogen on Dec 31, 2013, 3:31:55 PM
GGG, keep avoiding this issue, and as a result, take a look at your future...in this graph:
Spoiler
http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=238960&from=1383256800000&to=1386626400000

I left aside the holiday season days the days near to them as they are not usually active gaming days
EJRVBÑJKSBVÑERJVBÑJWERBVÑRWEJFVCÑIERVGLÑIJESFDBVIEWRGICVL3WEGRDVICWDSBCVIJWDBCVWIJDECVILDBWLDEJCHBVWLIDECGWLDICHYVGLWDICHLWDECHVW
DEVGERGVERGWWFVEFVWWEDQWEFCDWEFCWEFVCWEFCWEFWEFWEFWREGFRWREGFW
"
Shogen wrote:
The state of desync so far.....

Since the desync manifesto and some experimental code fix for desync, is there then any thing else GGG could do about it?

In layman terms :
1. Is the desync thingy basically unsolvable
or
2. Only minor improvements are possible. e.g. Desync can only be improved by 20-30% more.
or
3. Can be fixed but require some sort of overhaul which GGG don't feel like treading on atm.

Its actually all 3

The desync problem is largely unsolvable, and the currently, at best GGG can only improve the situation slightly. They could eliminate desync entirely by using a different network model, but that would require an entire rewrite of their engine, either by using a different network model (like DotA2), or by using a deterministic engine to eliminate most of desync.

Whatever way you look at it, the outcome is bleak

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info