Why downgrade skill/aura effects?

"
Marxis wrote:
My PC isn't a toaster, thanks, but it isn't some super high end gaming computer either. Playing in a group of people with +5 auras, and tons of high particle spell and ability drowned my FPS terriblely. Even now with less intense aura art, I don't play in groups. Too FPS intensive, but at least I can play solo with a decent 30-40 FPS. Even now I'm waiting for more performance options in the future. This PC can play every other game without me dropping a single FPS, but this game when playing in a group... pure hell. I'm very glad for the change.

even if your pc is awesome, the amount of stuff going around just makes the game a pain in the ass, i mean the other day i enter a party to kill dominus, there was so much stuff being trhow i could not see dominus second form, i mean you know there is simply to much shinny stuff going on around when you cant see a 3 floor creature infront of you...
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Nov 17, 2013, 12:58:53 PM
"
Russell wrote:
The reason as we have said a few times is:

1: in partys with minions there was insaino lag. Like they were just built sooooo bad.

2: Visual clutter. Even warcraft 3 never got to the point where a hero would be stacking 3 of those oversized auras. Thats even including arena maps. In poe however we had the same size if not bigger auras but stacking 3-5 on average. It was a mess and really did not fit the rest of the game. The current ones I will upgrade if we ever lock the auras to 1-2 (unless you get certain passives that increase the count you can have). However poes designers dont seem interested in this. People are still running 3 auras even now. Thats not even on a character built around having all the auras : P

So yeah. We are trying to clean up combat a bit. Huge effects cause huge lag when spammed 100 times a second all over your screen. You also cant see for shit.Other games sadly don't do this so they dont get to know our pain. Its annoying when we get compared to titan quest and d3 effect optimisation wise when they only have around 30 skill effects at max on a screen at a time. As we go from 20-30 solo to 200-300+ party endgame. Floating damage numbers are not effects.

Also lights. Holy cow lights are insane. Im going through and removing them off skills I find. I was always told "nah their fine leave them" but they are not fine!. On my 7980 fireball if shot 5 times on top of each other would drop my fps from 100+ to 20-30 for a second. Now think of that when its spammed all over your screen. Its nuts. Discharge does the same thing. when you let off all 3 discharges at the same time they each have a light. A really large light. This drops your fps for like 0.3 seconds but it feels like more because its such a huge frame drop. So yeah this is an over time fix. Arctic breath and Ice Arrow are now usable ever since I removed their lights : P

Anyway in conclusion if PoE gets to the point where players use 1 aura each. Or none aura each unless they want to be a cool support guy I dont see auras changing look until then. The reason those other ones are slightly larger is because I was told they would most likely not all be used together. Also with the aura nerf people are using slightly less auras so I made the auras slightly larger to fit that : P.

wow so in depth :) tysm for fixing the ice it made my day that I could finally make a arctic armour/ice shot char and run a map with ice on the ground without lagging out.
"
Russell wrote:

1: in partys with minions there was insaino lag. Like they were just built sooooo bad.

2: Visual clutter. Even warcraft 3 never got to the point where a hero would be stacking 3 of those oversized auras. Thats even including arena maps. In poe however we had the same size if not bigger auras but stacking 3-5 on average. It was a mess and really did not fit the rest of the game. The current ones I will upgrade if we ever lock the auras to 1-2 (unless you get certain passives that increase the count you can have). However poes designers dont seem interested in this. People are still running 3 auras even now. Thats not even on a character built around having all the auras : P

So yeah. We are trying to clean up combat a bit. Huge effects cause huge lag when spammed 100 times a second all over your screen. You also cant see for shit.Other games sadly don't do this so they dont get to know our pain. Its annoying when we get compared to titan quest and d3 effect optimisation wise when they only have around 30 skill effects at max on a screen at a time. As we go from 20-30 solo to 200-300+ party endgame. Floating damage numbers are not effects.

Also lights. Holy cow lights are insane. Im going through and removing them off skills I find. I was always told "nah their fine leave them" but they are not fine!. On my 7980 fireball if shot 5 times on top of each other would drop my fps from 100+ to 20-30 for a second. Now think of that when its spammed all over your screen. Its nuts. Discharge does the same thing. when you let off all 3 discharges at the same time they each have a light. A really large light. This drops your fps for like 0.3 seconds but it feels like more because its such a huge frame drop. So yeah this is an over time fix. Arctic breath and Ice Arrow are now usable ever since I removed their lights : P

Anyway in conclusion if PoE gets to the point where players use 1 aura each. Or none aura each unless they want to be a cool support guy I dont see auras changing look until then. The reason those other ones are slightly larger is because I was told they would most likely not all be used together. Also with the aura nerf people are using slightly less auras so I made the auras slightly larger to fit that : P.

Give us (those with decently specc'd PCs) an option for the fancy auras at least.

I'm getting 200+ FPS in PoE with everything maxed, a -50 FPS deduction due to the fancy auras won't actually hurt anything.
[Hardcore league]
IGN: Jeria / Metalgrid
"
Russell wrote:

I appreciate the quick reply, thank you for addressing this. I only have one question which is instead of lowering the visual part of skill effects, why not just make an adjustable skill effect graphics option for people who aren't able to handle all of these effects on their screen at once? I feel like that's a much better option than just flat out sacrificing visual artwork. Obviously this is easier said then done and I wouldn't know the first thing about implementing such an option but I feel like this type of graphics control is a must to prevent situations like this.

Either way, thank you for all the hard work you guys are putting into this game, it can't be easy to come up with so much quality content in so little time.
"
Tanksenior wrote:
"
Mettiu wrote:
I really hope aura changes were not based on they casue lag.

Really how do people keep confusing VISUAL changes with GAME BALANCE changes.

My god how thick can you be.

He's not talking about the recent aura changes, but rather the old one, when their SFX (and not the bonuses they granged) was changed drastically.

I personally liked the old auras a lot, and since I don't play in groups I didn't really have FPS issues. I think a lot of people would be very happy with an "enhanced aura models" UI option in the menu. I don't think it'd be hard to implement it (unless the old models have been deleted, but that'd be silly), but I can understand if it's not main priority.
Last edited by luorax on Nov 17, 2013, 2:26:52 PM
Regarding the lighting changes on skills (e.g. fireball), I think it would be best if you were to town them down/off by default, and leave an option there for people to re-enable them. Particularly as people's PC hardware improves over time, this would give them a way to scale up the game's visuals according to their power.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
"
luorax wrote:
"
Tanksenior wrote:
"
Mettiu wrote:
I really hope aura changes were not based on they casue lag.

Really how do people keep confusing VISUAL changes with GAME BALANCE changes.

My god how thick can you be.

He's not talking about the recent aura changes, but rather the old one, when their SFX (and not the bonuses they granged) was changed drastically.

I was talking about aura changes as whole. If they change auras so we are running only 1-2 only because they were lagging thats really bad. I ment game balance decisions should not be based on game performance unless is really necesarry. I liked old auras bud I am ok with new ones. I just dont wanna see changes in future for some skills based on how well can engine handle them. I hope it makes sense.
IGN : Mettiu
I use a GMP Spectral throw Cast on Crit build. With 2 spells being cast, I drop my entire party's FPS every time. I have to use Arc and Ice Spear as they seem to be the least FPS intensive. I often challenge people by telling them I can drop their FPS to 0. Swap in Fireball and boom, I always win the challenge. Fireball is literally unuseable for me at the moment. So the sooner this comes, the better.
"
Russell wrote:

2: Visual clutter.

Then WHY on earth did you change the subtle curse effects that where actually on par with the minimalistic auras, to colorful, screen filling, gameplay obstructing monstrosities?!
IGN Riddericke ▪ UTC+1 ▪ SHOP 498896
"
riddie wrote:
"
Russell wrote:

2: Visual clutter.

Then WHY on earth did you change the subtle curse effects that where actually on par with the minimalistic auras, to colorful, screen filling, gameplay obstructing monstrosities?!

Haha yeah.. Im actually toning those things down today.

Hmmm It seems a lot of people here still didnt read my post. Im seeing a lot of "if it was laggy why not add an option to turn them down!". Completely ignoring the fact that on top of being laggy you also cant see whats going on. If you have a dark world it looks insane to have huge effects playing off minor skills/spells. Only things like discharge and charge up boom effects should be huge. not random buffs to your character that also effect people around you.

No D3 does not have as many skill effects on a screen at a time. We arnt going to destroy our entire skill system to change this either. People like kitting out their skills. Shooting fast and many projectiles. If we changed that im pretty sure people would be pissed.

Ah right one last thing. The reason for not having any visual slider is because a lot of these effects are just laggy in general. Only the highest end pcs can run them . Some of these skills look kinda average too. We dont really want 5% of our players looking at hd effects while the other 95% have to run around with broken crappy looking effects. We will add more options for high end users a bit later. Like higher quality shadows , ambient occlusion and the such. Hopefully a grass and decal slider so you can make your jungle look like a reaaaaaaaaaaal jungle.
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info