ZiggyD's Etheral Knives Mana Shield Scion/Shadow Build Guide - Hardcore (Updated for 1.1)

"
Yautjalv426 wrote:
How do you do any damage at all? You don't have any spell damage or speed. My head is about to explode I am 52 but how can ek EVER not be totally worthless when compared to the efficiency of spectral throw? Unless you have literally perfect gear. EK has ONLY projectile damage, casting speed and spell damage nodes. ST can have elemental damage from gear, damage from the weapon, weapon damage nodes, physical attack, iron grip which saves you an entire gem slot etc etc. What am I missing here?

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgAAGYoc3CpbLYMtqDWSOyg8LUGHRitGcUrIUzVaUlv0bWxuqm-egwmI8ZMnlwabXZu1oSKiQKiarFmxkLQMtUi18rc-t9bDOsSixq7KStIZ1tHZ4NtZ52Pyl_T4-ej-Cg==

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ethereal_Knives

Ek in itself just scales ridicilously dmg-wise with lvl's. Combine that with being able to equip both a 1h + a shield with resists, % spell dmg or maybe extra defence on the shield if needed.
With a ST-build, with the assumption that you'll need a 2-hander to pump out really amazing amounts of dps, you're gonna miss out on the properties from a shield and I'd say thats what makes the EK build competative.

That combination of descent dmg and a bit more flexibility in item choice is what makes me love the EK build anyway.

Also i just prefer EK over ST positioning-wise. Might have something to do with me not having played ST that much, but i like the instant dmg from EK, compared to the slight delay in ST - it allows me to reposition often without my spectral weapon maybe flying slightly off target.

All the best!
Well, just got ignored on my other post, let me try again.

What kind of stats should i look for in gear? I'm lvl 30 right now, should i go for Armor + ES already? Mana regeneration and maximun energy shield? Also, i'm already lvling my EK gem, it's ok to lvl up in this lvl?

Thanks for the build.
I currently have a Cloak of Defiance and was wondering how would one fully take advantage of this unique with classes that lack easy access to MoM such as the witch.

Currently i am experimenting it with a Explosive Arrow Scion and been having pretty good success with it.
Last edited by LonelyVolkain on Nov 19, 2013, 8:45:47 AM
Heya Ziggy, I have a similar idea as this build but instead am using Claws and the Acrobatics Keystones (as well as Cloak of Defiance instead of taking the MoM keystone)

What's your thoughts on this so far? It seems to be getting tankier as I level (testing in softcore for now) but I am having a bit of DPS problems..

Level 54 EB/MoM Claw Build

Breakdown:
Health

62% increased maximum Life
30% Chance to Dodge Attacks. 50% less Armour and Energy Shield
20 to maximum Energy Shield
12% of Physical Damage Dealt with Claws Leeched as Life
1% of Life Regenerated per Second

Mitigation

24% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
10% to all Elemental Resistances

Damage

30% Chance to Dodge Spell Damage
25% increased Attack Speed
18% increased Physical Damage with Claws
6% increased Movement Speed
6% increased Cast Speed
4% increased Attack Speed with Claws
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Mana

Other

220% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
120 to Intelligence
100 to Dexterity
72% increased maximum Mana
70 to Strength
10% reduced Mana Reserved
10% additional chance to Dodge Attacks
8% increased effect of Auras you Cast

Gems:
Primary Attack:
Dual Strike+Melee Splash+Life Leach (Will add mana leach and a few other things once I get some better gear)

Secondary Attack:
Spectral Throw+Greater Multiple Projectiles+Culling Strike+Item Rarity

Curse:
Warlords Mark

Movement:
Lightning Warp+Reduced Duration

Auras:
Discipline+Grace+Hatred+Reduced Mana

then I still have some room to toy around with other stuff.

Gear:
Primarily looking for Ev+ES, +Mana Regen, +resistance, +life leach/+mana Leach, and then straight life
Last edited by vutall on Nov 19, 2013, 12:44:28 PM
"
phosTR wrote:

What kind of stats should i look for in gear? I'm lvl 30 right now, should i go for Armor + ES already? Mana regeneration and maximun energy shield? Also, i'm already lvling my EK gem, it's ok to lvl up in this lvl?

Thanks for the build.

You want Resists, HP, and Arm/Eva(if you have IR) in that order on gear. You don't need ANY ES at all until you take EB, which shouldn't be for quite awhile as getting other stuff is more important IMO. You should be able to level up EK the entire way.
IGN: Dmillz
Ok i've died Again...That's frustrating now because I don't know what to do. Could you support us with a "0-20" and so on Level Guide? Would be great!
"
pr1mus wrote:
Ok i've died Again...That's frustrating now because I don't know what to do. Could you support us with a "0-20" and so on Level Guide? Would be great!

If you are dying pick up more HP nodes. Most likely it isn't the passive so much as your gear at that level. Make sure you max your resists and get HP. Don't forget about armor either!
IGN: Dmillz
"
phosTR wrote:

Thanks for the build.

Don't worry too much about AR/ES or regen at level 30, just go for life and resists. I was still using spectral throw until around level 40-ish myself.

At around 40-50 you'll want to start getting some mana-related stats but it's not too important until you start building your merciless gear set.
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
YouTube.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
Twitter.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
PoE and Strategy Gaming Content
"
pr1mus wrote:

Just go for all of that sweet life first:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABCGeTOr0nGDz56EGHtz7-CudjiPGsWTWS_o9N46ZXMZ6Cxyj66-56qprgRZ24k6cIj0bQ0M9lVcYWbw==

That said, level 0-20 deaths are usually unrelated to build. It's likely a gearing issue (not getting any life) or an unfamiliarity with the game's challenges.
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
YouTube.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
Twitter.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
PoE and Strategy Gaming Content
Hi Ziggy,

I RIP'd to my own idiocy earlier on my 83 STer. I was extremely happy with the build and I should not have died. My clear speed was phenomenal even though my gear was average (aside from a 5L Kaom's). My DPS was about 3,000 on ST and my health was 5,000.

Assuming my gear wont be as good as yours, I expect about 5,500-6,000 DPS on EK with your build. Do you know how that would compare vs my old 3,000 ST? I am not sure how the damage translates.

It just seems impossible to have that sort of clear speed I had with how few nodes you took.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info