Cant update

Thanks I think I have tried just about everything, I have tried so much I have forgotten what I have and have not tried lol...

Thanks for reply appreciate it...

I'll go though everything again on next update, trouble is I just want to play after starting it so if there's an update I just want to get it up and running without problem solving it first lol...
Just out of curiosity, When the problem happens if you check the file properties on PathOfExile.exe, is it set to read-only?
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 25, 2014, 1:44:55 PM
Thanks for post but Sorry please do not take this the wrong way but 'seriously?'

Have you read the thread?

I have tried just about everything other than reinstall windows to a fresh version ....

Properties security shutting down everything that's unnecessary etc etc...Something is causing it and I cannot believe I am the one single person that has this problem....

Surely someone has the same setup same files running in the background same issue....

Oh great another update another uninstall completely and then download then reinstall from scratch...

So annoying, I realise its not effecting anyone else...So my problem and that's that....

I tend to not play if there's an update anymore...

I'll go through the process some other time when I have the time...

Just play Guild wars 1 or 2 or Diablo III for a while ....It's easier, not as good but shit happens....
thread title seems fitting enough. anyway, i think the latest hotfix (released a couple minutes ago) has broken something as the autopatcher goes crazy when i try updating now.

first the progress and download speed numbers go back and forth for some reason then it dies giving the following error message:

Error: Failed writing recieved data to disk/application while downloading
http//patch202.pathofexile.com:8095/patch/1.1.1.2/PathOfExile.exe
"
treos99 wrote:
thread title seems fitting enough. anyway, i think the latest hotfix (released a couple minutes ago) has broken something as the autopatcher goes crazy when i try updating now.

first the progress and download speed numbers go back and forth for some reason then it dies giving the following error message:

Error: Failed writing recieved data to disk/application while downloading
http//patch202.pathofexile.com:8095/patch/1.1.1.2/PathOfExile.exe

Are you running as administrator by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" on the PathOfExile.exe in the Path of Exile folder?

You can also just save this link into the Path of Exile folder over top of the current one (the file from the error).

In the future, please create your own thread rather than attaching a new problem to a current one.
Last edited by Drakier on Mar 18, 2014, 11:43:50 PM
yeah, i run it as administrator and solved as it turns out that link the updater gave upon failing was a download link. it let me download the updated .exe file via that link so i just had to replace the one in the game directory with the newly downloaded one and from there it worked like a charm.
Last edited by treos99 on Mar 19, 2014, 12:24:03 PM
So far I have downloaded the damn game TWICE in TWO days. The damn patches are a pain in the rear to be honest....

I AM SO SICK OF DOWNLOADING 5.5GBS EVERY TIME there's an update some as small as 9mb's .....

I HAVE REINSTALLED SO MANY TIMES I HAVE LOST COUNT - EVERY PATCH EVERY UPDATE....

I HAVE INSTALLED TO TWO DIFFERENT DRIVES (no difference) - (I HAVE SIX 2TB DRIVES RUNNING)...

The new added parts are great I just wish it was just log on and play...sadly I rarely do as if there's an update I HAVE to uninstall and reinstall from scratch...

The permissions are wrong for some reason.

I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR THERE IS NO GUEST ACCOUNTS.....

Is there a link for the .exe file so I can try just replacing that then running the updater?

I give up....

I am now downloading again, I uninstalled it searched registry removed all entries, installing to C:\ in its own folder ie C:\Path Of Exile

Its all I can do as there is no option but do it every time theres an update. Wish I could understand what is the problem....
You shouldn't revive old threads. If you have issues, you should create your own thread. The reason for this is because old threads become "outdated" in their information, and the problem at the time the thread was created is not necessarily the same problem that is happening now.

As for your actual issue, if you have a permissions issue, you need to give yourself proper permissions to the things that need access. This is a common mistake people make assuming that just because their account is an "administrator" that it is ACTUALLY an administrator having full access. For as long as UAC is enabled, even the "administrator" account does not have elevated permissions unless they run the application under the "administrator" context. IE: you need to right-click on the application and select "Run as Administrator" for it to have elevated permissions. This is most common for things inside of C:\Program Files\ as that is a HEAVILY protected folder.

So just because you are the only account and it says you are an administrator, as long as UAC is enabled, things don't RUN as administrator unless you tell them to, or they ask the OS to run as administrator (you get that little modal popup window that asks if you're sure you want to run something as admin).

This is similar to things like Linux where you have to run 'sudo' on a command for it to be run as administrator. This is to protect your computer from yourself. It was a method introduced to prevent people from getting themselves seriously infected by a virus because it supposedly puts an additional dialog in front of them to ensure they WANT to do that (which most people blindly click yes to).

Putting PoE inside of its own C:\Path of Exile\ folder should help as long as you right-clicked the PoE folder, and gone to the Security tab and ensured that you are both Owner and have Full Access to it. The other option is just to always launch Path of Exile as Admin through the right-click and selection of "Run as Administrator".

Good luck.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info