All-round Newbie Guide! By KorgothBG.

"
KorgothBG wrote:
Energy shield recharge per second - indicates the amount of energy shield recharged per second when you don’t take damage. Takes some time to start recharging
Fire, Cold, Lightning and Chaos resistance- this indicates by how much you’ll reduce any damage of such a source. Unlike Estimated Physical Damage reduction the % here are not estimated! Note that you’ll lose resistances when you go to higher difficulties (-60% in the merciless difficulty)

Hiya, you don't have the "Fire, Cold, Lighting and Chaos resistance -" part of this area bold and it is not separated from the previous paragraph describing energy shield recharging.

I just wanted to point this out and maybe suggest rephrasing this part of the guide to stress the importance of accumulating resistances as you progress through the game. I just got to Merciless on my first character after buying a set of gloves for 1 chaos in order to get my resistances closer to the cap on Cruel. I was getting smoked by the blackguards in Ebonheart area when they'd cast their lightning bolts on me. I maxed my lightning resist and that allowed me to get through the rest of Cruel on my own (after grinding for experience to get to lvl 59.) Much to my dismay, I get to Merciless only to start getting chilled by trash mobs and killed by the Ice Spear chucker on Tidal Island.

I respec'd out of resistance nodes in order to tweak my build (which I came up with as I progressed through the game on my own thinking it would be viable) and now I regret dropping those nodes (I guess that's why they call them Orbs of Regret!) Now, I'm looking at respeccing out of damage nodes and going for more life/resistance nodes. Unfortunately, I'm really starting to believe that if you want to beat this game on Merciless and do any sort of mapping then you HAVE TO follow a build guide in order to survive. A few mistakes or experimentation here and there will mean heartache later on when you are scrounging around for Regret orbs and selling Orbs of Scouring to get more.

I REALLY wish there was more wiggle room for experimenting but hey, I guess that's what all the other players have done already so you don't have to. It just takes some of the fun and uniqueness out of the game for me. =(

Edit: Thanks for the guide. It has some great info. Sorry for the rant but I just needed to get it off my chest. =P
*burr hugs*
Last edited by Comaburr on Jan 10, 2014, 2:20:29 AM
Thanks for the pointer i'll fix it right away.
As for the resists.. i'll tell you this:
In PoE defense (when it comes to passive skill tree) is always mor important than offense.
So basicly you NEED to have capped resists and stacked insane amounts of life or/and energy shield + good amount of armour and block. This is something that i don't really like because it limits your options... and generaly i don't like when i NEED to do something in order to have a chance in even succeeding to complete Merciless ( not to mention mapping ). Another thing that i dislike is the complete uselessness of the evasion... GGG tried to deal with this problem sever times but it's still there.
But it is what it is and it seems like GGG is fine with it.

About the guides.. i don't know... i never followed a guide... but on the other hand i've started this game in Closed beta and i have HUGE experience with aRPG ( i can't think of an aRPG that i havn't played ) But still you need to make a character or two ( or 4 ) before you can make a really successful one. And it's ot just because you are not experienced enough.. it's also about having gear. Once when you have good gear for leveling you'll be able faceroll from level 1 up to map content ( personaly i level from level 1 to level 70 within less than 24h of gameplay ).

You see sometimes it's not the build. it's the lack of good gear. You might even dismiss a build and think that it's terrible just to realize later that it's actulay very good .. but you didn't have the needed gear before ( it happened to me )

In my opinion starting to play this game by following a build guide is a mistake. You need to try thinks out by yourself and see what fits your playstyle and learn about the game in the process. Then you can check out the huge amount of guides. See similar builds to your idea and learn from them.

P.S. I'm sorry for not reuploading the images... it turns out that i have backup for all of my guides and list but not for this one.. so i need to make anything again from scratch...
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Jan 11, 2014, 5:37:30 AM
Two small typos:

finishing notes, 4th paragraph should probably be prey not pray

maximum energy shield description, last sentence currently begins with AIf..think you meant If

Nice Guide. Got a bunch of tips. Thanks for taking the time/effort to post it.
Hi, made this a few days ago with my l33t paint skillz:

Spoiler

Your currency section in this guide does little more than what one learns while mousing over the currency item, so I thought it could help to tell people what to actually do with their stuff. ;)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
@Peterlerock
Thank you for the taken time to make this! I've added it in the gem section.

@GoesByManyNames
Thank you! All fixed ;)

P.S.
I'm sory that the thread still has no section titels ( and it looks messy that way ) i promise that i'll make them soon.. it's just that i've been extremely busy lately.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
This is very helpful guide for a newbie like me :)
I am also reading your Build guides and just realized how deep and complicated this game is.

Keep this good work up and cheers from Bulgaria! ;)
Thank you mate i'm glad that you find my guides helpful :)

P.S. I've finaly redone and reuploaded the section "titles" .. i'm sorry that it took me so long...
I sort of skimmed through and noticed you may not have included poe.xyz.is in the trading section, forgive me if I missed it lol. Unless it's against the rules or something newbies should know about that site because it makes trading a lot less stressful/time consuming.

Great job on all your builds though, need to be more contributing members of the community like yourself. Stay alive exile!
Last edited by Saf3tyhazard on Feb 1, 2014, 5:20:04 PM
First of all i want to thank you for the kind words. I really try to contibute as much as i can to the community and the game and i'm very happy when those efforts are acknowledged.

Well to be honest i'm not really sure if mentioning such sites is something that GGG toelrates.. i'm trying my best to follow all possible rules.. you know.. no macros.. no muliboxing.. damn even no minion snapshotting because i find it an abusive mechanic!

I could mention some sites like search engine.. like the item mods site.. like some currency ratio sites and some PoE databases but i'm not sure if that's ok with GGG

I know that it sounds silly and idiotic... but i just can't help it...

P.S. if anyone need help with.. well... anything ... just PM me or whisper me ingame.. i'll answer right away!
Last edited by KorgothBG on Feb 1, 2014, 6:04:16 PM
Hey guys i've just wanted to announce my
How to Help New Players. My attempt to help PoE begginers
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/780986

Basicly it's a thread were i give unique items to new players :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info