Accuracy and Evasion Tables

Accuracy is a pretty important gameplay element of Path of Exile. If you use attack skills without investing in accuracy, your chances to hit will be very low, heavily penalizing your damage output but also your ability to reliably apply effects such as life/mana leech, chill, blind, chance to flee, etc. Resolute technique, a keystone that makes your attacks ignore the accuracy/evasion checks, is an easy solution to accuracy problems. However, the price to pay - being unable to land critical hits - is high.

So, how much accuracy does a character needs do get decent chances to hit ? Unfortunately, while we know the accuracy formula and have access to ingame tooltips that provides character's current accuracy and chances to hit, a table providing the required accuracy at all levels isn’t available anywhere. So, I decided to put it together.

Here's what the mechanic thread says about Accuracy :

Accuracy is compared to enemy evasion when determining if an attack hits or misses. The complete formula is below:
chance to hit = attacker_accuracy / ( attacker_accuracy + ((defender_evasion/4)^0.8))
Chance to hit can never be lower than 5%, nor higher than 95%.

In addition, like mentioned previously, the ingame tooltip provides your character's accuracy as well as your chance to hit. The chance to hit usually changes every time you level up. So we can safely assume that the game calculates your chance to hit an average monster of the same level as you.

To get a complete picture of the required accuracy rating at each level, the only missing information is the average monster evasion per level. So I leveled up a character from level 1 to 79 to get this information (since level 79 is the max level for monsters). At each level, I was equipping/removing pieces of equipment to see the effect of different accuracy rating on my chances to hit %. At the end, I was usually able to plug an evasion rating in the formula that would fit the different chances to hit%/accuracy combos.

The results can be found on a google spreadsheet at the following url :

Accuracy and Evasion Tables

Some key findings :

-You get 2 accuracy per level (the mechanic thread doesn’t mention it)

-There are diminishing returns with accuracy. In other words, the higher is your chance to hit, the more accuracy you need. At level 68, to get from 75% to 76% chances to hit, you only need an additional 46 accuracy or 5,6% of your total. To get from 89% to 90% chances to hit, you need an additional 249 accuracy, 11.2% of your total. But to get from 94% to 95%, you need an additional 912 accuracy, exactly 21.3% of your total. This is illustrated in the chart I also prepared that shows required accuracy at level 68 (same link than the table).

-To get at least 90% chance to hit in a level 68 map, you need more than 2464 accuracy. That’s a rather large amount. Even a level 80 character with 400 dex and +50% accuracy from passives will need an additional 850 accuracy from gear (or support gem) to reach that target.

Notes/Edit (2013 April 23) : I made a slight error in the formula in original Accuracy table (Thanks Minus4 for pointing it out). The formula is now corrected but I need to re-estimate the monster average evasion for every level (1-79). To do that, I basically need to level up another character to level 79. So its gonna take a while until its done. The new character is level 46 now, so the table should be mostly accurate for level 1 to 46.

Oh, and I'm also using this opportunity to work on an evasion table.

Notes/Edit (2013 June 2nd) : My character finally reached lvl 79. Yeah, I Know, it took a while. But the 2 tables (Accuracy and Evasion) are now available and show information for level 1 to 79. Enjoy !
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
Last edited by Velkor on Jun 10, 2013, 8:08:11 AM
Last bumped on Apr 7, 2024, 6:08:35 AM
The chance to hit displayed on the character sheet is only an estimation.

Your true chance to hit depends on the evasion rating of whatever you're attacking.
"
ifarmpandas wrote:
The chance to hit displayed on the character sheet is only an estimation.

Your true chance to hit depends on the evasion rating of whatever you're attacking.

That's why I'm talking about the chance to hit against an average monster of the same level. I just underlined it for you.

Also, I don’t know if you’ve even look at the google spreadsheet, but I provided a place in the 3rd sheet where you can insert whatever evasion you want and get the accuracy requirement information for 75% to 95% chances to hit.
Last edited by Velkor on Dec 5, 2012, 12:10:33 AM
Wow, I'm an idiot and I don't know how spreadsheets work.

Still, I think you're putting too much analysis into a somewhat irrelevant aspect of the game. The few melee characters I've leveled, I've never had to worry about accuracy. Besides, you can never know how accurate the "average" evasion of monsters is.
Last edited by ifarmpandas on Dec 4, 2012, 10:04:03 PM
"
ifarmpandas wrote:
a somewhat irrelevant aspect of the game.

Well, lets just agree to disagree.

If this aspect of the game is irrelevant for you, nothing forces you to use the table I prepared. I know it will be useful to me and I thought others would be interested too. That's why I decided to share it.
Last edited by Velkor on Dec 5, 2012, 1:52:07 AM
Nice work, appreciated! Helps to figure out if an ACC node is worth it without having to spec in and out :)

EDIT: Makes me realize how horribly lackluster 8% ACC nodes are. To get from 83% to 87% hit on a lvl 60, if you had 1000 base AR you'd need 4 of these nodes. 4 nodes for 4.8% more damage isn't particularly exciting. If I instead chose four 8% dmg bow nodes, even with an existing +150% bow dmg that's still 12.8% more damage.

Seems like the default ACC node should be more like 15% and the nice ones 30% or more rather than 20%. But I assume that GGG knows what they want in terms of balancing attacks vs spells vs RT, and maybe leaving most everyone at around 80-88% hit is intended.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Dec 5, 2012, 3:21:48 AM
I agree accuracy is very important because it does more than just gives you more dps
* higher chance of stunlocking mobs
* stack shock charges easier
* more reliable leech
* and things like infernal blow and glacial hammer needs to hit when you want them to

Yea the accuracy nodes is a bit shitty when considering you can get 8% accuracy in combination with other stuff most of the times but getting accuracy on gear is really good and so is the local accuracy rating on swords.
"
aimlessgun wrote:
Nice work, appreciated! Helps to figure out if an ACC node is worth it without having to spec in and out :)

EDIT: Makes me realize how horribly lackluster 8% ACC nodes are. To get from 83% to 87% hit on a lvl 60, if you had 1000 base AR you'd need 4 of these nodes. 4 nodes for 4.8% more damage isn't particularly exciting. If I instead chose four 8% dmg bow nodes, even with an existing +150% bow dmg that's still 12.8% more damage.

Seems like the default ACC node should be more like 15% and the nice ones 30% or more rather than 20%. But I assume that GGG knows what they want in terms of balancing attacks vs spells vs RT, and maybe leaving most everyone at around 80-88% hit is intended.

We should not forget that Accuracy also indirectly increase chance to crit. So if your character has a 40% chance to crit, increasing your chance to hit from 83% to 87% will also increase your actual chance to crit from 33.2% to 34.8%.

How will it translate in term of raw dps increase ? It depends on your crit multiplier. If your
character is dealing 1000 non-crit damage per second with a 40% chance to crit and 400% crit multiplier, increasing your accuracy from 83% to 87% will increase your dps from 1657 to 1778, or 7,3% more damage. A meaningful difference compare to 4.8% more damage calculated without considering accuracy impact on chance to crit.
Huge thanks for making this! This is precisely what I needed to find out.
IGN: Trajecta
This is an exceptionally helpful table.

Anyone think about the Increased Accuracy skill gem? At level 60 the thing apparently gives 800 accuracy on its own.

At level 60 a naked character with 200 Dexterity would have 520 Acc, 2 per level and 2 per dexterity. Putting in a +800 Accuracy skill gem in their main attack would place their chance to hit (before any modifiers) at roughly 88% on its own, from less than 78%.

However if you assume the character has 1000 base accuracy before the skill gem it increases accuracy from 84% hit to 91% hit at level 60.

According to the wiki level 60 Acc Gem has +840 Acc and requires 96 Dex. Meaning minimum accuracy with a supported attack would be 1152 or roughly 85% hit. That's one gem slot, on your primary attack (who uses more than one primary attack anymore?) and it effectively guarantees 85% average hit on-level. And its quality bonus is critical hit chance.

How many slots does that free up in gear (and nodes) to get more damage? 50% increased accuracy (one eagle eye cluster) would put you at 90% hit chance. Not too shabby, and would let you replace effectively all your +Acc mods (that you needed before to reach that 90% accuracy) with other damage or defense mods. One gem slot here.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info