Sceptre and Dominus for the FPS challenged

Thanks for the info Ventiman. Whilst I get it would ruin the 'atmosphere' its worth noting that I came very close to deciding I wouldn't play anymore because of the issue with Dom. Lowish FPS in the warehouse I can just about deal with but sub 10FPS on one of the bosses that you have to be most on the ball with is just insane.

GGG? Please give us an effects override?
yeah, i gotta agree: not letting us turn off rain/weather effects because it's needed for "atmosphere" is a cop-out excuse.

if that was the case, why is it we can turn-off shadows? that adds to "atmosphere" too. :P

anyway...

i play the game on a 1st-gen i5 laptop (with nvidia graphics - but sh!tty nvidia graphics). the game's mostly playable at a decent frame rate until the imperial gardens (and later, dominus at the top of the scepter of god). my work-around? re-size the game window to the smallest possible. yes, it's crap coz everything's so tiny but at least frame-rates are back to high 20s to low 30s. ie, completely playable for those few minutes it takes to get through those zones.

that's what i do until i can upgrade :)
ooh! 'member when PoE was good and fun? i 'member!
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Same problem here. The game ran good until the end of act III.

>_>

"
the end of act III.

"
of act III.

"
act III.

So much lag...
hit me up @sarrow lets have fun :D
Last edited by Sawm on Jun 30, 2014, 9:13:27 PM
^ I have a spare older desktop with a really old GPU in it that is now just a media server but I tried it with path of exile just to see what it can do and for the laughs. Act 1 it ran 45-60 fps, act 2 it averaged around 25-35, act 3 it averaged around 10-25 fps..... act 3x it gets 2-5 fps as soon as I enter the gardens. I can at least enable quad frame skipping to make it playable on that system (not going to since its only for plex and xbmc) but its still quite astounding that the same game can get 60 fps in one area and 5 in another just because of the rain (that I could care less about) that they insist is critical to the atmosphere and to the game itself.

edit - currently using one that gets 150-240 fps on average if I remove vsync and stays at around 60c in act 1-2 (so I'm not even pushing it), but drops down to like 70-90 fps in the rain and it spikes to 90c right away. Add some fracture, dominus blood rain and the ground effects though and my fps takes a dive down to 20-30 fps at times... in a full party that can be down to 5 fps at times if they spam the hell out of the screen (hurts my eyes anyway)!

So that is a drop from up to 240 fps at 60 c when solo in act 1 down to 5 fps at 90-95 c when in the worst the game can provide. And all I'm told is because it would hurt the atmosphere....
Last edited by Jiero on Jun 30, 2014, 10:10:22 PM
A Radeon HD 5750 is a pretty old and low end card. At least get a used 5850 or a 7770. If you like nvidia at least get a 560 ti. Also are you on a dual core cpu? try a quad core. My sister's rig with 5850 runs fine on max with 2xaa barely dips below 40 fps and usually max'ed at 70-75 fps.
Last edited by Maoday on Jun 30, 2014, 10:43:55 PM
"
Jiero wrote:
^ I have a spare older desktop with a really old GPU in it that is now just a media server but I tried it with path of exile just to see what it can do and for the laughs. Act 1 it ran 45-60 fps, act 2 it averaged around 25-35, act 3 it averaged around 10-25 fps..... act 3x it gets 2-5 fps as soon as I enter the gardens. I can at least enable quad frame skipping to make it playable on that system (not going to since its only for plex and xbmc) but its still quite astounding that the same game can get 60 fps in one area and 5 in another just because of the rain (that I could care less about) that they insist is critical to the atmosphere and to the game itself.

edit - currently using one that gets 150-240 fps on average if I remove vsync and stays at around 60c in act 1-2 (so I'm not even pushing it), but drops down to like 70-90 fps in the rain and it spikes to 90c right away. Add some fracture, dominus blood rain and the ground effects though and my fps takes a dive down to 20-30 fps at times... in a full party that can be down to 5 fps at times if they spam the hell out of the screen (hurts my eyes anyway)!

So that is a drop from up to 240 fps at 60 c when solo in act 1 down to 5 fps at 90-95 c when in the worst the game can provide. And all I'm told is because it would hurt the atmosphere....

Pretty redic right? the last patches got horrible for me GGG just keeps pulling up so much crap and 200fps act 1-2 but 5fps in some maps and when anything that is lightning apears is just broken, for now i play other stuff i cant stand playing with this much lag.

I was able to limit my frame rate somewhat well and force triple buffering using radeon pro, kept my fps a lot more stable ( vsync is broken as hell by default on poe, for me.) BUT somehow in a recent patch GGG MUST have changed something because now radeon pro DOES NOT WORK with the game, instead i now lag almost the same compared to how good it limited my drops to almost not at all and it makes my ping spike to 240ms....evry 2-3 seconds... there is nothing to do. unless GGG and there computer specs they WANT us to have come out and say what pc's we need and how close we NEED to live beside the servers to not experience what other games don't throw at you, but ggg likes to pretend this is not an issue, that no one at all lags and no one needs there visuals lowered , its not at all a priority when every snapshot the fps bar looks retarded, and people quit on a weekly basis due to fps issues alone...

But... no one lags remember? so it does not mater.

Sorry if i seem upset, im just sad i can't play my favorite game anymore and im FORCED to play something else because I WON'T BUY A NEW PC , not until GGG tells us what spec's they WANT us to have to play there game...i got this pc in hopes to play poe...but its the only game i cant max out...actualy not only that its the only game that just works so poorly i cant play it,period even old shitty windows 98 games I emulate work better then this.
hit me up @sarrow lets have fun :D
Last edited by Sawm on Jul 1, 2014, 7:21:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info