More Demonic Monsters For Us To Slay

First of all POE has great potential at the moment

Having played all the ARPG's you can think of since D1 (d2,d3 , TQ , DS , Sacred , Loki ,space siege , Beyond & Divine Divinity , etc etc I had my doubts whether GGG could pull it of but so far im extremely impressed.

Too many good things about the game to name in this post so Ill just list out 3 of
the reasons why i even stopped playing Football manager 2013 in just my 3rd season to play this game:

1. The Passive Skill Tree & Skill Gem System.
2. The Dark vibe ,atmosphere and soulful soundtrack which demon/dark souls & D1 had.
3. The Loot and Currency System

There is only 1 more thing i would love to see developed further other than the aftermentioned wishlist for attack animations / gore and exciting battle animations and that is :

1. More Demon-like Monster Variety

Despite Diablo 3's Shortcomings it truly aced the monster department with the engine supporting epic Elite and Boss monster battles , Even the endless flow of weak scorpion like critters in Act 3 are super satisfying to obliterate.

The Original Dragon Age also had amazing monsters to fight like The Revenants, Elementals etc

I understand the costs involved when introducing new monster models and I have read the article previously concerning the decision not to include male and female options for character classes as to free up budget for more monster models and i Wholeheartedly agreed
Yet for me I believe to fully achieve the games epic potential , many more demonic monster models need to be introduced, Its fine if Models are re-used and re-skinned (I dont prefer killing crabs over and over though!) but they should have different abilities aside from their monster level

I was not yet really convinced on the Ribbon themed monsters and more humaniod models previewed for act 3 but i trust the developers judgment and hope they add more monstrosities or dark dwelling terrors for all of us to battle :)

I hope everyone catches my drift here and its just my 2 cents and I wish the team at GGG
All the Best for the coming Open Beta.

See you all in Wraeclast
concur
I think you'll really like Act 3.
: )
Forum Sheriff
I agree it's something I noticed a while back myself but I dislike the reskinning of current models.

I would really like to see new monsters instead of reskined/different skill sets on monsters and there are many examples of this in the game currently such as:

water elementals (4 areas)
crabs (6 areas)
undead.... so much undead (20+ areas)
humanoids (7 areas)
necromancers (8 areas)

(these are pretty rough estimates here so could easily be wrong by a few areas)

The small pool of monsters becomes much more apparent when running maps as well.
IGN --- Grizdale
Last edited by Grizdale on Nov 20, 2012, 9:23:22 AM
Signed Yo
"
Grizdale wrote:
I agree it's something I noticed a while back myself but I dislike the reskinning of current models.

I would really like to see new monsters instead of reskined/different skill sets on monsters and there are many examples of this in the game currently such as:

water elementals (4 areas)
crabs (6 areas)
undead.... so much undead (20+ areas)
humanoids (7 areas)
necromancers (8 areas)

(these are pretty rough estimates here so could easily be wrong by a few areas)

The small pool of monsters becomes much more apparent when running maps as well.

This pretty much sums it up though i least the mind waves of undead monsters throughout the acts ( to me this is ok as long as you compliment it with some fast moving demons or critters.)

Less Crabs/ snakes and more vile/beast/demon or Flying Monsters perhaps

There is the hugest database of monster ideas from Magic The Gathering as well so innovations
should never run out.

Ps: I know I will love act 3 but remember we will be playing through act 1 and 2 many times throughout the difficulties and rerolled character builds so..
I agree with original post.

In fact I would go so far as to say that the repetitive and generic monsters are the games biggest weak point. Not only are you killing the same monster over half a dozen consecutive areas, the monster is something lame like a sand crab or generic zombie/skeleton. Game desperately needs:

1. More monster types
2. More interesting monster types with visual themes and challenging abilities
3. More mini-boss monsters with unique abilities that present a hurdle to the player
These are some quick ideas of Miniboss Sergeant Monsters I'd love to fight :

Doom Revenant (Undead)

Loses Limbs as life is lowered
Regenerates limbs When on low HP (Like the Stone Golem Assembling)

Is Immune to all damage during regen (0.5 - 1sec) except Fire Dmg

Casts a Curse on players (Random)

Abyss Demon

Enchants Nearby Monsters with Random added dmg (Fire / Ice / Lightning)
Cannot be Frozen/ Stun
Leeches Life
Leaves a Molten/frozen Trail.

Blood Gargoyle (dual wielding)

DoubleStrike
Leechs Mana
Gives Nearby Monsters Energy Shield / Life regen
Explodes upon death (1- 1.5 secs) Or splits onto 2 weaker gargoyles

Deep Terror

Hexproof
Fast
Uses Flickerstrike (sparingly & randomly)
teleports to safety on low life
Leechs Energy Shield from target player (ineffective if no ES on target)

Maybe some creative players can drop more ideas here, and GGG could incorporate the best abilities. I personally would love to hear them from the players

GGG has done a great job with the game so far and
Im no expert on the balancing issues , and some monsters are already awesome to Fight in POE,
Just personally not so much a fan of fighting crabs & wolves too much .especially on the higher difficulties.

I'd fully approve of your ideas ianalexross and the raised concerns in this topic, when act 3 doesn't deliver in that way.

Tho i'm quite sure act 3 will be Poes topnotch in every regard anyway to be honest... just hoping they can make it december , which they might be able to, since open beta has been delayed already^^>
From what I know, there is no "Hell" in PoE, so there wouldn't be any demonic monsters in the traditional sense.
I could be wrong though and that Hell could be added in future Acts.
Sweeping Maid

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info