Is Iron Grip worth it?

Just wondering if Iron Grip is worth it for a bow Ranger. I'm guessing it'd add a decent amount of damage, but it takes a lot of passives to get there. Anyone tried and regretted/thankful?
Dependent upon your strength. Do you have enough to make it worthwhile and do u have a long travel to pick it up?
"Truth be told, I have no idea what the fuck is going on anymore." Stephen Hawkins
it can be worth it if you have enough str and are using a physical bow
with 100 str you would get a bonus of 20% physical projectil dmg which is like 2,5 normal projectile dmg node (which works for ele dmg as well)
so imo i would say having 33 str for each point you need to reach iron grip (if your attack profits from it!)
"
justinloase wrote:
Dependent upon your strength. Do you have enough to make it worthwhile and do u have a long travel to pick it up?

I'm only early game now (level 19 as of writing) so was hoping to get a heads up. Guess it's very situational. Definitely not atm though haha.

"
ciel289 wrote:
it can be worth it if you have enough str and are using a physical bow
with 100 str you would get a bonus of 20% physical projectil dmg which is like 2,5 normal projectile dmg node (which works for ele dmg as well)
so imo i would say having 33 str for each point you need to reach iron grip (if your attack profits from it!)

Ahh that's a lot of points, and a lot of str required to make it worthwhile! Maybe I'll wait til late game to see. Hard to theorycraft when there's so many points involved, but thanks for a general idea.
I eventually want to go Iron Grip on my ranger but it's not worth it yet. I will spec into it once my strength is higher which is what I am working on at the moment.

My way of checking is using an Iron Grip support gem. I open the character sheet and check the damage of my main projectile skill then slot in Iron Grip gem. At the moment my dps goes down by about 20-30 when I do it, a few levels ago it would drop by about 80. As soon as I slot in Iron Grip support gem and it goes up I will probably spec into the passive.
"
... At the moment my dps goes down by about 20-30 when I do it, a few levels ago it would drop by about 80...

Why on earth would it go down?? Wouldn't adding a gem that only increases damage be beneficial to your dps?
"
SponTen wrote:
"
... At the moment my dps goes down by about 20-30 when I do it, a few levels ago it would drop by about 80...

Why on earth would it go down?? Wouldn't adding a gem that only increases damage be beneficial to your dps?
The Iron Grip support gem reduces your attack speed. The penalty gets weaker as you level up the gem.

Regarding the Iron Grip keystone: It's probably not worth the time for a ranger. You need a solid amount of strength (100?) For it to give the same bonus as some notables, which won't require you to trek all the way past the duelist nodes. IMO it's more for Marauders / Duelists who are both likely to be in the general area anyways, and have unavoidably picked up 100+ strength in the passive tree.
"
Softspoken wrote:
"
SponTen wrote:
"

The Iron Grip support gem reduces your attack speed. The penalty gets weaker as you level up the gem.

Regarding the Iron Grip keystone: It's probably not worth the time for a ranger. You need a solid amount of strength (100?) For it to give the same bonus as some notables, which won't require you to trek all the way past the duelist nodes. IMO it's more for Marauders / Duelists who are both likely to be in the general area anyways, and have unavoidably picked up 100+ strength in the passive tree.

Ahhh sweet, thank you for the clarification! Guess I'll be leaving this one out on my Ranger then.
Iron Grip keystone is a very useful passive given two prerequsites:
-you use physical damage bow (because only phys dmg gets increased)
-you will have 250-400 strength by the endgame

If your build supports those - Irong Grip is VERY good. Otherwise - don't bother.

Also, given the prerequsites and the keystone placement, the best way to use it is to start bow character as marauder or duelist, though it can work for ranger and scion as well, if you head straight for different duelist passives.
Physical bow builds, like Rain of Arrows, could get iron Grip with Ranger if they take the neccessary bow nodes in Ranger area, then head through Duelist tree (grabbing Iron Reflexes), and proceed to Marauder area for HP/Strength (possibly Blood Magic), and Templar for more Str/HP...Iron Grip can be picked up along the way. Something like this pretty tanky build, maybe:

Last edited by IANVS on Oct 31, 2013, 5:33:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info