[1.3]Cold Witch guide for beginners (Lvl 1 to Atziri)

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMC_gdjB6URUBGWFVAWvxbzF1Qc3B8CIoEmPCepLJwspi0fLUcvnTQKNsU3ZjgbO-FCw0SrRnFJslBCVa5WSlcrXfJjQ20ZcFJwu3DVfll_xoIQgh6DCYhCi3qMNo48j0aPppDWkyeVBJ2jnqGiLqKjpwinK6-btAy71sBRwFTB89gk2t3fhN-w4vfjhOaB8h3z6vyr

I have plenty of other stuff, including highends, but this is the best for this specific build at this lvl i think.
You do not have CI and you do not have any life nodes. And you don't have life regeneration and you don't have Life steal, is that correct? So as a result, any damage you take is gonna stick. If you fight mobs 1 after the other, that's ok. And in low levels, you can somewhat sustain yourself with flasks alone. But You're probably at a point where the incoming damage exceeds the flask heal potential.
Solution: Get lifesteal, get life nodes. Respec out of cast speed or whatever you think you don't really need atm, and get life. My suggestion is to have at least 2.5K hp in merciless AND some 1-2K ES to feel safe. You can get away with less, sure, but the downside is the potential permafeed :)

And if that's not enough: Use a shield. None of your wands are any good anyway, so just use a shield for the block chance. If you wanna feel ultra safe, use an angelic kite shield with 24 all resistances built in.
here is a pretty good explanation how you should put your points in your passive tree.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/564774/page/1
Yep, what Kiedel wrote.
I followed this guide for my first witch and it helped a ton.

I just want to say something about cold snap tho:

It's amazing for maps and CC. Ele Prolif/Concentrated Effect/Increased Area Effect makes the entire screen freeze every time

highly recommend it
"
Cackfiend wrote:
I followed this guide for my first witch and it helped a ton.

I just want to say something about cold snap tho:

It's amazing for maps and CC. Ele Prolif/Concentrated Effect/Increased Area Effect makes the entire screen freeze every time

highly recommend it

You are right. I changed what i wrote about cold snap.
I would like to discuss Crit Weak vs Frostbite in this build.
It is, to me, unclear, which is better. I would think that Crit Weak would be the stronger choice, because the amount of times you crit more would outweight the fixed added dmg from Frostbite
Would it not ?
"
RagnarokX wrote:
I would like to discuss Crit Weak vs Frostbite in this build.
It is, to me, unclear, which is better. I would think that Crit Weak would be the stronger choice, because the amount of times you crit more would outweight the fixed added dmg from Frostbite
Would it not ?

It depends on the amount of Increased critical damage you have on gear:
Lets suppose 1000 cold damage and 400 critical strike chance (345 from the tree with bloodthirst and some on your wand/dagger); plus 100 incr. crit damage from the tree. Let's further assume no monster is overcapped on cold resistance.

With lvl 20 frostbite the damage would be: 1000 + 1000 x 0.3 x 2.5 = 1750 The 49% resistance reduction would increase the damage to 2607.

Lvl 20 Crit Weak would add 9% cc and 49% to everything over 100% cd. That would make 39% cc and 323.5% cd. The damage would then be 1000 + 1000 x 0.39 x 3.235 = 2126.

For the damage to be equal to frostbite's 2607 one would need a 4.12 cd multiplier. To get that 160% increased crit. damage from the tree + gear is needed: 150 base cd + 160 = 310; 210 x 0,49% gets added for a total of 413%. The damage now is 1000 + 1000 x 0.39 x 4.13 = 2611.

Conclusion: For the sketched lvl 80 build on page 1, you would have better dps if you have more than 60% increased critical damage on gear (you would loose frostbite's additional freezing chance though).
While leveling you usually don't have that high crit damage (more than 160% required) to make crit weak work better than frostbite. A good endgame dagger/wand and an amulett with cd might shift that balance.

As a matter of fact, im running Windscream and i wondered if i should actually bother to double curse Mobs. But i believe in combination CritWeak and Frostbite would be bonkers. So worth the hassle.
Double-Cursing depends on the mobs' HP and your dps. If your gear isn't that great the curses may be advantageous, but if you're farming easy content, it's likely they are costing you clearspeed.

My personal approach on curses is the lazy one, I'm running Cast When Damage Taken lvl 1 with Enduring Cry, Critical Weakness and Temporal Chains. When in groups, Frostbite does not help really, while Temporal Chains and Critical Weakness are great for most non-Resolute-Technique-Builds.

The nice effect on Temp Chains is, that your freezes expire slower, so while it won't help freezing the target, it help keeping it frozen.

To the Guide itself, I think the skill-tree linked as CI-Build lvl 82 could be optimized.

Souvereignty-Cluster:
It's 6 Points for 16% reduced Mana-Reservation and 12% increased effect. That may be okay for some builds, but since Cold Witches don't rely on stacking many Auras, we should fine with only two. Even with those nodes, Purity of Elements is just +30 Resi, that's not too good anymore. If in desperate need of Resistances, the Phalanx-Cluster gives 20 Resists while holding a shield.

Intense Zeal:
It's 4 Points for 60% Critchance and 10% Critmultiplier. When you put those points in Bloodthirst and one point into the Throatseeker-Cluster, you can free one point. That's not overwhelming, but 10 Life on Kill give nothing for a CI-Witch and stacking Crit-Multiplier should be the best choice for gaining dps.

Lord of the Dead:
I can understand, that while leveling more skellys may be good, but in my limited experience with them, they fall of quickly. The 3 Nodes after the 40% Increased Mana-Reg-Node are surpassed by 2 Deep Thoughts Nodes. I wouldn't take them. The Spell Damage and Critchance on the left side of the tree are "okay" and carrying two Mana-Pots with Dispel doesn't hurt.

Body and Soul:
I don't see a reason in not taking that wheel. It's all 6% ES (an average stand-alone-node) and 8% Armor as a bonus. Especially the Armor is really nice, it boosts Granite-Flasks, synergizes well with Armor-ES-Hybrid-Gear. The 8% All-Resi from the final node help also!

My suggestion for a basic build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBGmwfAiycNsVEq0yzVa5XK20Zf8aPpp2uoqOnCMHz2CQtH35Z2t0nqcHF5CK1BF3G3fNgbZ2ARtcpT-w4OtjjhIhrO-Hi96criELyHU3YjHa29xEvLL-GrhXX14ZWY-wYRwZfaoKbmZqOZPemtvrrY1Aw217r5F8qwFFw1XBSXfKMNsNtnqGvm4V9Y0NCw9-EAv7C7PLhjjwXVCKBEZYOSJ2j_KsWQGaecU2az0NjtzFY9Z3E37CCEEGWBUKusw_E3Mc7fFqmuMqVBFZK

Greetings!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info