Lag

Alrighty. I want to start out by saying that I really enjoy Path of Exile. I think it is a great breathe of fresh air into a genre sullied by Diablo 3.

Now, on to the title problem: Lag. I have been suffering from absolutely massive lag since Day 1. Nobody in global chat feels like being helpful, so now I am here to see if there is some kind of solution to it.

In game, I have 60-80ms ping, occasionally going up to ~100ms. Nothing there to cause lag.
I am on campus internet, so I have 30+ mb/s download speeds. So nothing there to cause lag either.
Firewall is very fully customized, so no problems there.

So then, where is this lag coming from? Despite my connection, I can literally whirling blades through a group of mobs twice before damage is even recognized. I have also suffered from massive rubberbanding, sometimes traveling backwards a number of rooms to die in the middle of a mob that I though I had already killed. It has now cost me a good couple Hardcore characters, and has made the game nearly unplayable. This is the exact same problem that Diablo 3 had to make me and many others not want to play it.

So, is there a fix? Is this common? In any case, the game is unplayable. Any help is appreciated.
where do you live?
If you're far from the servers there's not much you can do

I live in New Zealand, fairly far away from the servers, and I only rarely get lag as bad as you described. My computer is also not very top-of-line but I manage

But yea, you aren't alone, other people experience some lag too, perhaps go read up on those existing threads, just search.
"
Jazzo wrote:
where do you live?
If you're far from the servers there's not much you can do

I live in New Zealand, fairly far away from the servers, and I only rarely get lag as bad as you described. My computer is also not very top-of-line but I manage

But yea, you aren't alone, other people experience some lag too, perhaps go read up on those existing threads, just search.

Apparently my internet is slower than 90% of new zealand. so.. I think i am qualified to say i probably lag the most here our of anyone..

Ive died a couple times to inadiquate plays n being not cautious enough. but honestly most of my death come from lag spikes. which happen very frequent for me. like once a minute it spikes for 1-2 secs..

Reminds me of playing diablo..

all i can say is. Get used to it. and adapt. Ive spent many a death building against lag spikes. Pretty much my conclusion was gear up way more than the usual dude would ned too.
Smoother than Smooth.
Last edited by Moist on Nov 10, 2012, 5:54:19 PM
"
Moist wrote:
Apparently my internet is slower than 90% of new zealand.

I'm guessing you got that "90% slower than..." figure from Speedtest.net? They base that on you upload and download speeds, neither of which are really relevant for lag. What causes lag is having a high ping value with the server your connecting to. The ping value that Speedtest.net gives you is not that useful either really, as it will be for a server somewhere in NZ as close to you as possible, but your probably playing PoE on the Singapore server.
Well, I live on the East Coast of the US, so I am relatively close to the servers. This is why my ping is usually 80 or less. My ping never jumps high (as it would when I lag), so I am confused at why I lag.
I had what I thought was going to be insufferable lag when I first started.Turned out it was settings on my old school pc.Turned shadows off and changed some settings on my video card and got 1000% improvement.Completely playable now with some small glitches here and there but I recognize it to be my system.
Ya i cant really begin to count the amount of times i played d2 in the day, and died due to rubberbandin, or witnessed the black wall of no more world, etc etc. These network issues have exsisted, and will exsist, forever in the world of online communications. As said above, just adapt to it, and when all else fails, remember, its a game. Sometimes the mobs arent quite powerful enough to destroy ya, but always fear the lord of latency.
GGG - Why you no?
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
Moist wrote:

I'm guessing you got that "90% slower than..." figure from Speedtest.net? They base that on you upload and download speeds, neither of which are really relevant for lag. What causes lag is having a high ping value with the server your connecting to. The ping value that Speedtest.net gives you is not that useful either really, as it will be for a server somewhere in NZ as close to you as possible, but your probably playing PoE on the Singapore server.

Yeah i do understand that. But doesnt that just make me worse off? if i can hardly get a good connection in NZ, in the first place. My chances are it will be good elsewhere, seem slim. I believe it said my server was around auckland or taupo it used. Im from hamilton, so those places are within a couple hours of driving...

all i know is when i play d2-d3 my ping sits at a consistent 300-400 according to the ingame calculators. Its no different for POE.

i get minor spikes a few times a min. then at least once an hour it freezes up for 3+ secs and this is usually enough to get me killed.
Smoother than Smooth.
Last edited by Moist on Nov 12, 2012, 8:42:42 PM
"
Moist wrote:
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
Moist wrote:

Yeah i do understand that. But doesnt that just make me worse off? if i can hardly get a good connection in NZ, in the first place. My chances are it will be good elsewhere, seem slim. I believe it said my server was around auckland or taupo it used. Im from hamilton, so those places are within a couple hours of driving...

all i know is when i play d2-d3 my ping sits at a consistent 300-400 according to the ingame calculators. Its no different for POE.

i get minor spikes a few times a min. then at least once an hour it freezes up for 3+ secs and this is usually enough to get me killed.

Which ISP are you with? When I was living in Christchurch, I was with Inspire and was getting ping times of around 150ms to bnet's USWEST servers. Still not an ideal ping, but far better than what you seem to be getting.
Hey Guys, Just want to let you know how I fixed my lag issues.
I have been playing POE since early beta and have never had bad lag issues until the last few weeks. I get around 160 - 200 latency and it doesn't cause any game breaking effects. Suddenly I was getting 600 - 1500 latency and the game became unplayable.
I noticed my hard drive was low on space so I cleared some and ran Auslogics Disk Defrag with the optimize option(you can prolly use any defrag app for this). Last two days everything has been back to normal.

So just because it seems like a network issue, in some cases it might not be.

Something to try anyways.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info