Regnar's dual wield sword ranger build, now with Blood Magic!

Now with Blood Magic! I got my hands on a 6L and the mana cost was too high to run with mana. I had 220 after auras, with my cleave costing 44 per cast. Because of this Regnar has switched to a Blood Magic build at the cost of my 2% life leech node. Leaving me at a measly 24% life leech.

I did not like the -21% cost of hatred, so I swapped it for both Wrath and Anger. Also you will see in the build I took a little different path towards the Marauder start to pick up a second +30 intelligence node, to run max level wrath. I lost about 500 dps to do this, but am now able to apply shock and really mow things. I know I'm wearing the wrong armor type I had to give the 6L a whirl!

Without further adieu, the new video, build and gear! My original build is still below!

Passives:

Video:

Gear
Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dual wield sword ranger!

My goal was a high health, high dps dual wield character. I chose my ranger for her start position on the tree. Early access to IR with nice DPS nodes on the way, while being close enough to the marauder tree to pick up survivability. Without adieu, here is my build so far at 80.

She has excellent dps, VERY high survivability and is extremely mobile. My skills are Dual Strike for single target, cleave and flicker for nice aoe action. Blood rage is used with some nice life leech gear and it is just stellar. I also run two auras, Grace and Hatred.

I chose to stick with physical damage over an ele cleaver as it was a unique build at the time and I was tired of elemental reflect just crapping on it.

So far I am extremely happy with my DPS and survivability. Dunno what else to add here, so I will end it with my gear and a nice game play video for your enjoyment!

Video - http://youtu.be/jNMxa1JyvmM

Gear!
Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
RegnarDrowsII - 79 DW Ranger, #6 One month race 10/16/2012
Last edited by Ceto on Dec 14, 2012, 12:24:47 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
It's an awesome build. Based on earlier chats to - and inspired by - Ceto, I respecced my bow ranger post reset to this build to try it out. It's great fun - massive kudos for this build from me.

In my personal setup, I didn't have the mana to effectively run it without BM, so I made some small variations to Reg's build to suit my gear. It's obviously almost a carbon copy, but the key differences are:
- taking the 3x10% weapon ele dmg nodes (my gear has great ele mods on it, some pre patch)
- taking some extra Evasion nodes
- taking lava lash (as I gem added fire)
- taking Blood Magic

My gear-specific variation of Ceto's build:

I didn't need the Crit Multi given I have a lot of crit multi on gear anyway, and I kill bosses in about 1 second.

I run Dual Strike with my gear, gives c. 20k dps, 60k crits. For AoE I run either Cleave or Lightning Strike (both work - cleave better for indoor, LS perhaps better suited for outdoor maps). Depending on whether or not I link LL to then, my DPS for Cleave and LS is in the 8-10k range (with auras). I run Grace, Anger and Wrath.

If using Cleave, I link it with FA-WED-AddFire-LL. If I go for LS, I link it with LMP-FA-WED-AddFire-LL. For dual strike, I link with FA-WED-AddFire (if I 5L dual strike I get closer to 25k dps and 80c crits).

Mine is not a crit chance build, so I don't generally have a problem with ele reflect mobs. I only crit when I use my one diamond, and that's for killing bosses super fast or clearing a room of chaos spitters.

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Nov 7, 2012, 1:44:40 PM
I really like the look of this build. I intend to try it out but I feel compelled to ask what tips you may have for leveling. Like what takes priority where and when on the skill tree.
Why have you picked Armour mastery ? Only chest plates and shields have a penalty, and you are using a chest piece which is boosting your movement speed, not slowing you down. What is your movement speed (displayed on the character screen ) ?

edit: grammar
Last edited by dzordzo on Nov 9, 2012, 12:37:43 PM
Whats your hp?
Pretty awesome build. Can this build be safe enough on hardcore?
Sorry it took awhile to respond! Any other questions I would love to answer as well!

"
ykyshaeq wrote:
Whats your hp?

Between 3.5k and 3.8k depending on what rings I wear. Lately I've found myself sticking to the ream Frags. When I finally roll a real chest with 80+ Life I will be sitting real close to the 4k mark.

"
SEOINAGE wrote:
Pretty awesome build. Can this build be safe enough on hardcore?

I imagine it would do fine once you got a decent health pool and some leech, without it might be a bit tedious.

"
dzordzo wrote:
Why have you picked Armour mastery ? Only chest plates and shields have a penalty, and you are using a chest piece which is boosting your movement speed, not slowing you down. What is your movement speed (displayed on the character screen ) ?

Good catch! I was using a plate chest for the longest time leveling and it just worked nice with phase run when I used it. That point has since been reallocated to the +8% MS above IR. I will update the build! Keep in mind this was during the race, which I did manage to place 6th on the one week rewards.

"
Ishiga25 wrote:
I really like the look of this build. I intend to try it out but I feel compelled to ask what tips you may have for leveling. Like what takes priority where and when on the skill tree.

I made a beeline for Iron Reflexes. After that I went right for Mara start zone, picking up health nodes on the way. Only after I had my defensive nodes did I fill in the dps nodes.
RegnarDrowsII - 79 DW Ranger, #6 One month race 10/16/2012
dw ranger is beastly.. I did about the same

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQIAAmUqhgXc070I23LXCz7rgA70lhEfEZAjI-9IrCmGwI8p1jkyKrptXjJyBFY0NrVqNQEndjXuYPo3lwhEOv24hj0qvvhExjLpSFn881JZeclS_IQEU09swljxaKVcWRYYXFtHQmFEh2JhimooYk1vCGNqPDJlp-7KZi4RNmmFbNxxhCkcc77KmX08yoF_O29Phf0v_Ikb7dyJaX6WjJ8LapKyYraUgzuelcA-UZZI7CqdULr7nlvEL6C2o_yhYXeMpJhN4qpIAfOr4DIVsiFIerhW15e4ZfYJuwJSNL9SOa7BKrPU2u0eD96BFAXeoK9N4qvEQPM67Mv1icPN9_Cnwvf0myj9aAlt

but went up for water dancing and dervish. Have about 43% dw block (without uniques).
not real happy with the eva nodes I picked up more recently, maybe will unspec those and go round and up toward templar like you did.
"
pilnomi wrote:
dw ranger is beastly.. I did about the same

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQIAAmUqhgXc070I23LXCz7rgA70lhEfEZAjI-9IrCmGwI8p1jkyKrptXjJyBFY0NrVqNQEndjXuYPo3lwhEOv24hj0qvvhExjLpSFn881JZeclS_IQEU09swljxaKVcWRYYXFtHQmFEh2JhimooYk1vCGNqPDJlp-7KZi4RNmmFbNxxhCkcc77KmX08yoF_O29Phf0v_Ikb7dyJaX6WjJ8LapKyYraUgzuelcA-UZZI7CqdULr7nlvEL6C2o_yhYXeMpJhN4qpIAfOr4DIVsiFIerhW15e4ZfYJuwJSNL9SOa7BKrPU2u0eD96BFAXeoK9N4qvEQPM67Mv1icPN9_Cnwvf0myj9aAlt

but went up for water dancing and dervish. Have about 43% dw block (without uniques).
not real happy with the eva nodes I picked up more recently, maybe will unspec those and go round and up toward templar like you did.

Hey pilnomi, thanks for sharing your build. Just a couple of quick observations on evasion - I wouldn't recommend going towards the centre to grab the 30% evasion nodes, it's strictly better to grab the Leather and Steel evasion nodes on the southern highway and also pick up the Berserker and Unwavering Stance nodes while you're there. Also, you'll get much better bang for your buck not delving into the Dualist start area but instead heading west per the builds Ceto and I posted.

Also, not sure why you didn't pick up the 6% IAS node right at the start, that thing is gold.

Hope this helps,

P.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Nov 15, 2012, 2:49:53 PM
Sweet build. Just interested, do you kill the bandits, or go for Oak or Kraityn?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info