Chain

I've been curious to get a definitive explanation on how chain works exactly. Here is the situation...let's say I fire 3 arrows at 3 enemies and each one hits a dif enemy. Will each arrow hit the first enemy, then chain to each of the other 2? Meaning each enemy gets hit 3 times, once from the initial arrow, then once from each other arrows chain.

So let's say each arrow does 100dmg cut by %50 by chain. So it deals 50dmg on initial strike, then 50 from the first chained arrow, then 50 from the third chained arrow for a total of 150dmg per target. Is this correct?
"
Baki wrote:
"
Schaleh wrote:
I'm a level 49 Ranger who used to use chain.

I tried it with lightning arrow and lesser multiple projectiles + elemental weapon damage.

It turns out, the chain effect does not scale with the increased projectile quantity.

In other words: you use chain with lesser multiple projectiles and you lose damage and lose a huge amount of magic cost.

How the skill works: you fire 3 shots with LMP, the chain will only work one time for 2 of the projectiles, or twice for one of the projectiles, but not twice for all 3 projectiles. This is a huge problem for people who want to max out their damage with lightning arrow using chain, as it's impossible.

What's worse is: people THINK they're getting value. Everyone wants chain so badly. It's a scam-- a total naive scam.

can anybody confirm this?

I'd also like confirmation of this (the bolded part specifically). If true, this makes the gem absolutely useless. However since demand for chain is still very high, I'd like independent confirmation (or a dev to reply).
i tested this with frenzy, LMP, chain and 30 loh. i leeched around 300 hp each time i fired into a horde of skeletons.

i guess it works.
Last edited by Baki on Feb 12, 2013, 4:40:23 AM
"
jiussa wrote:
How the skill works: you fire 3 shots with LMP, the chain will only work one time for 2 of the projectiles, or twice for one of the projectiles, but not twice for all 3 projectiles.
That is not the case. Each projectile will chain twice if it can find targets to chain to.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
jiussa wrote:
How the skill works: you fire 3 shots with LMP, the chain will only work one time for 2 of the projectiles, or twice for one of the projectiles, but not twice for all 3 projectiles.
That is not the case. Each projectile will chain twice if it can find targets to chain to.

What about fork + chain? Will the chain for as long as there are targets it can hit?
"
broodrooster wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
jiussa wrote:

What about fork + chain? Will the chain for as long as there are targets it can hit?

Fork will take priority. If it hits an enemy after forking, then it will chain. Otherwise it will not chain, so generally its not a good combination.
One post a day, keeps the Death away
I'm using LMP + Lightning arrow on my Ranger and I finally got Chain.

However, the 50% dmg reduction + 30% LMP dmg reduction make the LA useless. I'm clearing mob groups twice as fast just using LMP + LA without chain. Plus the mana cost is gruesome.

What am I missing? I've heard people that using LMP+ Chain + LA is the most imba stuff ever, but I'm finding it a lot more damaging linking LMP + LA alone.
IGN: SCHVAITZERIZER
Last edited by MAD_DAN on Feb 14, 2013, 3:10:20 AM
The reduction is not additive, but multiplicative, so you are dealing 0.7*0.5 = 0.35 = 35% damage per projectile, compared to an unsupported projectile. Now assume we have a mob group that is big enough and standing close enough together. With LMP alone you will have three arrows and the corresponding explosions, so at it's best LA would hit every enemy for 3*0.7 = 2.1 = 210% damage of a single projectile. With LMP + Chain you get three projectiles and, if they all hit, another six projectiles from the chaining. So the best-case-scenario would be 9*0.35 = 3.15 = 315% of the unsupported damage. That would be the raw numbers, but you also hit more enemies behind the front row, and when dealing a crit you apply shock status effects to more targets.

At least that is how I think it should work, didn't manage to find a 5 linked armour/bow so far, so I couldn't test that. -.-
Hello,

i traded Chain Today. I'm a Lightning Witch with Arc. So Chain says it supports Chaining Spells/Skills. Chain says it reduces 50% of DPS, my DPS is still at 1700 DPS and it doesnt effect to Arc. Do someone know if theres a problem with the Support Gems since the last Patch? I had a problem with the Mana Leech Gem too.
IGN: Popoklatscherin
Hmm..it didn't affect Arc only damage wise, or it didn't add chains to it as well?

Regarding my issue, I realised I am specced on heavy piercing (35% chance + always using curse projectile weakness). Probably that's why I'm getting lower damage with Chain, because piercing arrows don't chain and I'm losing damage.

Also I thought LA lost it's shock property in the latest nerf. Is there any way I can get around that?
IGN: SCHVAITZERIZER
Last edited by MAD_DAN on Feb 15, 2013, 2:22:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info