Please explain "Mind over matter" mechanics...

The decription is not clear to me:
Since i quess there is no chance to test the mechanics in game so I can not figure out if 30% are actually removed or not, I would like to know if it works for me or not.


How is the mechanic if 30% of the damage is less then the mana pool you have left currently? Does it still then reduce the life by only 70%?

or is it more like the formula:
Damage = life - 0.7*damage - max(0,3*damage - availabe mana, 0))

Thx for clarifcation
IGN: “_THE__ROCK_”: level 92 melee ranger
>>>> Tougher than any Marauder, no silly walk or spinal injury and has pants <<<<

Other currently retired toons level 83-85 fitting the description above…
Its magic guard stolen from Maple Story but with much reduced effectiveness.

If mana reaches 0, HP takes a full hit. In maple story 80% of damage was diverted to mana on mages, but they had loads of mana and pathetically low HP as a class anyway and without this skill they were useless and couldn't do anything.

Link - http://maplestory.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Guard_(Magician)
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on Oct 22, 2013, 3:37:30 PM
Currently, damage is taken from ES before life. Mind over Matter inserts Mana into that sequence just before life, for 30% of the damage.
So any non chaos damage you take is subtracted from ES first. When you have no ES, 70% of the remainder goes to life, while the other 30% is diverted to mana. When you run out of mana, no damage can be taken from there, and all will go to life.
"
bhavv wrote:
Its magic guard stolen from Maple Story


Seriously?

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Energy_Shield

And that's by no means the first "mana shield" kind of mechanic, just the most proximate given PoE's genealogy.
Yes I never played any of the Diablo games. Sacred was my first ARPG so I didn't know that.

I did love this skill in Maple Story though, but I couldn't ever get the game to work on Win 7 or 8.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Currently, damage is taken from ES before life. Mind over Matter inserts Mana into that sequence just before life, for 30% of the damage.
So any non chaos damage you take is subtracted from ES first. When you have no ES, 70% of the remainder goes to life, while the other 30% is diverted to mana. When you run out of mana, no damage can be taken from there, and all will go to life.


Thx Mark for the clarification. I would suggest for better clearance ist should state "takes up to 30% from mana if enough mana is avaliable" (at least in this sense)

This means "mind over matter" is totally useless with blood magic?
It means "mind over matter" is totally useless with CI?

(Since you always have ES or you dead)
I quess some players would have sympathized with that combo...

I also implies mana shields is rather useless to buffer very harsh critical hits like Kole's one? At least for people that after auras have a mana pool of lets say 300-500

Thx again for making things clear now i am better able to plan my build properly.
IGN: “_THE__ROCK_”: level 92 melee ranger
>>>> Tougher than any Marauder, no silly walk or spinal injury and has pants <<<<

Other currently retired toons level 83-85 fitting the description above…
Last edited by Conan_xxx on Oct 23, 2013, 4:07:17 AM
It sounds like 30% of your chaos damage taken would be removed from mana. This isn't "as good as" 30% chaos resistance but it is pretty close!
Why not put it as the first in the order of damage, so CI or Hybrid ES/Life builds can use it? It's only useful for Life builds as-is.
I Cast Magic Missile! - poeurl.com/DHE
"
Completed 31 ChallengesCantripN wrote:
Why not put it as the first in the order of damage, so CI or Hybrid ES/Life builds can use it? It's only useful for Life builds as-is.
Pretty sure that's the point.

I came up wit ha pertinent question: Does the damage absorb calculate before or after armour? That is to say does it absorb based on raw damage then apply Armour to remaining damage?
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Last edited by Autocthon on Oct 23, 2013, 12:50:02 PM
Does the 30% of mana work exactly as life? If you have enough mana, do you receive 30% less damage from ALL sources? Because the descrioption says "when being hit", which can be misleading.
https://www.twitch.tv/whissp_
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1O53Ot8ffj3JYBeagd-yyA

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info