What is the goal of hit chance and missing?

Artificial miss rates don't appear to add anything to the game. It's frustrating when you miss, and it doesn't add anything interesting to the game. Is there a reason that attacks have a percentage chance to miss? What's the objective here? It's not build diversity - you either build accuracy, or you get really, really frustrated 60% of the time.

Alternatively, you can make a caster and not deal with the mechanic at all. This is the option I have to choose, which is sad because now I can only make Witches.
IRON MAN
Last edited by Dreggon on Oct 24, 2012, 11:09:32 PM
Well, without accuracy, then Evasion wouldn't exist (and this is not a license to go "EVASION SUCKS", or anything of the sort, it's just an observation). I don't generally have a problem with Accuracy or miss rates on any character, and I've been playing a melee based Staff Templar later who hasn't really picked up a ton of accuracy or dex nodes.
Hmm.. you can also make marauder or Duelist and grab resolute technique.

But I can understand this frustration. Misses can get annoying. (It sounds like some girls are getting annoying huh?)

Accuracy and evasion check is similar to critical strike chance. Usually you hit things and nothing happens. Now when accuracy fails you miss and deal no damage. But then when critical strike lands, you deal more damage. While the unusual outcome is bad in one case it is good in the other. People remember unusual things. With crits we have good memories with misses we have bad memories.

I learned not to ignore accuracy in PoE and plan my builds with it in mind. A build that misses too often is a lot less fun to play. I don't think it is bad mechanic, it just emulating real-life mechanics.
✠ ✠
Yeah magic is magical. Let's say balancing magic should count this fact in...

Edit: I mean, the fact that it can't miss and doesn't have to spend anything in accuracy.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Oct 25, 2012, 1:44:16 AM
"
wiggin wrote:
I don't think it is bad mechanic, it just emulating real-life mechanics.

I find the emulation of real-life mechanics comes from the target whom you are attempting to hit actually physically moving out of the way, as opposed to an artificial chance to miss.
IRON MAN
You swung and missed by a hair. Enemy didn't have to move.

Or your arrow was so insanely close!!

But missed.

Either way, it gets easier to hit things as you out level monsters. If I'm not mistaken
That one is still present, evasion seems to emulate attacks which don't cause any damage. Something like an attack that only scratches your armour without hurting you or an attack targeted at part of your body you managed to move out of the way in time.

@Slayer
I think it is only easier because your accuracy is getting higher while their evasion is not.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Oct 25, 2012, 2:38:54 AM
Chance to miss is a standard RPG concept that dates waaaay back. To me, someone playing and RPG and complaining about misses is someone who has never played RPGs before.

The concept of evasion is the very boon that makes a theif/rogue character what it is. Agility is the difference between fighting a martial arts expert and fighting a boxer.

If Mike Tyson had zero chance of missing Jackie Chan then this would a concept you yourself would call 'ridiculous'.
@Never_Nou
I don't think we shouldn't question game mechanics just because they are old. Old and traditional doesn't have to mean "good". Thinking that would prevent invention.
✠ ✠
"
Never_nou wrote:
Chance to miss is a standard RPG concept that dates waaaay back.

So is permadeath! And limited spellcasts!

"
Never_nou wrote:
The concept of evasion is the very boon that makes a theif/rogue character what it is. Agility is the difference between fighting a martial arts expert and fighting a boxer.

I'm fine with evasion, just not artificial missing.

"
Never_nou wrote:
If Mike Tyson had zero chance of missing Jackie Chan then this would a concept you yourself would call 'ridiculous'.

If Mike Tyson punches Jackie Chan, his fist coming into contact with Jackie, yet despite impactful physical contact had absolutely no effect due to artificial missing, then yes, I'd consider it ridiculous. If Jackie dodged out of the way, or moved backwards, or even stood somewhere where the punch wasn't - sure, that's reasonable.
IRON MAN

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info