Suggestion for Points/Ladder/Number of Races

"
boof wrote:
I'm not so sure about this idea anymore, now that I know Hilbert suggested it before.

I'd also be worried :|
"
KoTao wrote:

Anyone with enough time and skill could grind out 10 copies each of everything searing touch and below if they really wanted to, or collect 100 ignomons to sell as i100 onyxs, or potentially take every top 3 signature spot on the board... doesnt seem to be happening though.

And would it really matter if it was happening? The best runs would still be taking the alt demis and a bunch more i100 onyxs or the like is meaningless.

Someone recently (that helmethelmethelmetwhatever guy)got busted for smurfing a signature race. I assume it was either choi or condemned as it was a high level shadow, as their record got taken down from the list. I don't know what the extent of the punishment is though. It's a pretty shitty move to pull. You'd really be ok with one guy taking home 3 alt demis for his class?

edit: I suppose another drawback would be having to rework either the point rewards per race, or the required points for top end rewards. Once you hit the max amount of races before it starts counting only your best, it might be really difficult for some to improve their point total to reach that next reward. This would encourage what could be an even more tedious grind as they improve their point total by 1-2 points per race, crawling toward that next reward tier.

The number of races before it starts counting your best relative to required points for top end rewards would be a tricky thing to balance.

Last edited by boof on Sep 16, 2013, 12:42:37 AM
"
boof wrote:
Someone recently (that helmethelmethelmetwhatever guy)got busted for smurfing a signature race. I assume it was either choi or condemned as it was a high level shadow, as their record got taken down from the list. I don't know what the extent of the punishment is though. It's a pretty shitty move to pull. You'd really be ok with one guy taking home 3 alt demis for his class?

Hmm, thats interesting. Any link or dev comment regarding this?

Anyway, while id prefer players didnt use alt accounts to indulge in alt demi greed (or similar), im realistic about it being impossible to prevent. A careful player could potentially gulp down every single alt demi without GGG being able to prove they were smurfing (and possibly not even knowing it was the same person in the first place).
IGN: KoTao
Last edited by KoTao on Sep 16, 2013, 3:58:11 AM
"
A potential drawback to this system occurred to me, and that is smurfing.
If the number of races is too low, it might encourage higher level racers to play on more than one account, and collect high end rewards and placements multiple times... hmmmm...

and
"
You'd really be ok with one guy taking home 3 alt demis for his class?

You can be certain that GGG has got a GeoIP DB and other identifiers I won't mention to catch those players.

But the people being able to bypass those aren't top players ;)

Also that happens every season that some players are only farming the craftable ilvl 100 rewards.

Also I am not sure but I think I killed that player(same account I beliece) in a 1h CT race and given his playing style I believe is was rather a top duelist/mara player.
But could be somebody else too.

"
edit: I suppose another drawback would be having to rework either the point rewards per race, or the required points for top end rewards. Once you hit the max amount of races before it starts counting only your best, it might be really difficult for some to improve their point total to reach that next reward. This would encourage what could be an even more tedious grind as they improve their point total by 1-2 points per race, crawling toward that next reward tier.

You still have got +2 pts rewards and it would only affect like 5 of the Top 100 players.

If the shedule contains 42 events a week nobody will be able to do all those.
A filled shedule means you can be selective about the events.
An almost empty calender means "do or die".

A filled calender means you can include racemodes regular racers don't like blamt latif etc.
Do you really believe some Top racer would do all races if the shedule looks like:
1h solo
1h blamt
1h party
1h rogue latif
90 min tb
1h Lethal CT

At moment I look at the shedule and see: "Regular race" and decide to skip it or different race and gonna participate.

"
Hmm, thats interesting. Any link or dev comment regarding this?

Anyway, while id prefer players didnt use alt accounts to indulge in alt demi greed (or similar), im realistic about it being impossible to prevent. A careful player could potentially gulp down every single alt demi without GGG being able to prove they were smurfing (and possibly not even knowing it was the same person in the first place).

Most likely reddit, it was boof('s suspicion and the signature scores got broken)

Possible for 5/6 for cleave players. But 6/6 would be only possible for Top witch players and they aren't that good on other classes.

I don't have a link to anything, but the guy had the #1 shadow record a few days ago, and now he's gone. It's good to know GGG are keeping an eye out for this type of thing.

"
boof wrote:
I don't have a link to anything, but the guy had the #1 shadow record a few days ago, and now he's gone. It's good to know GGG are keeping an eye out for this type of thing.

It's choi's account and when i asked him, he said "he probably deleted his character when it was still in the league". Also i emailed chris to ask why it was removed and he said he didn't know anything about it.
"
Condemned wrote:
"
boof wrote:

It's choi's account and when i asked him, he said "he probably deleted his character when it was still in the league". Also i emailed chris to ask why it was removed and he said he didn't know anything about it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The current structure is designed to reward participation, which is consistent with the general philosophy of POE as a grinding [gear] game.

The people who would be most effected by this change would be people who do lots of races. Not everyone who does tons of races is good, though. I think GGG wants to reward people simply for playing the game, not necessarily for being good.

Rather than tweak the existing rewards to be less influenced by participation quantity, I think a parallel scoring system that works under a different set of rules would be better. Leave the existing "time investment" scoring system in place but augment it with an additional layer that evaluates competitiveness instead.
Most people would be unaffected by a system like this, as they probably wouldn't hit the magic number of races needed before the system kicked in anyway. The whole point is to have a system where the average racer is mostly unaffected, but where top competition isn't decided by quantity of races played.
bump?
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info